The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

I'd hate to miss out on those insights. Perhaps I should take him off my ignore list... nah. 

I think Virtanen is going to move up and down the line-up throughout the tournament. Canada WJC teams normally don't have established lines until the semi-finals and final games (and even then there is often juggling). I could see him being moved onto a line to "spark" it.

Wait! You have him on YOUR ignore list?! That's some funny sh!t right there.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

HE IS NOT A PURE SKILL PLAYER, HE IS A straight line north and south type of player. IE if you are expecting him to set up a whole bunch of pretty plays then your going to be disappoint. He's going to be the guy who drives the net hard and when he goes to the corners he will win the puck battle and keep the play alive. You might see a couple of really nice skill plays which i have so far (still have to watch the 3rd) but he's no Johnny Gaudreau and to think that he will be is ridiculous

And what don't you understand about a 6th overall pick, two years from his draft year playing way below average in a junior tourney?

I'm guessing you're gonna put your head back in the sand and add me to your ignore list too huh? 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, guntrix said:

And what don't you understand about a 6th overall pick, two years from his draft year playing way below average in a junior tourney?

I'm guessing you're gonna put your head back in the sand and add me to your ignore list too huh? 

So the 6th overall pick has to be the next crosby. And please explain your way below average claom

Edited by Gstank29

9 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I actually feel embarrassed for the guys in the AHL who work their butts off every night just to get a sniff in the AHL and this kid was just gifted a spot.  

He will be a 3rd line checker on team Canada and he will head back to Calgary afterwards and he needs to stay in the AHL until he learns how to compete.  All of Canada is about to see how badly Vancouver has over hyped this prospect.

A 2014 6th overall pick in the NHL should be a top player at this tournament, plain and simple.  If that is not logic to you then I don't know what is.

I dont think you people get the fact that the draft is more about potential then skill. If it was based solely on skill, players like gaudreau, Fabbri, Dunn etc would be drafted a lot higher. Why do you  think gms always talk about  players upside? Because they know they arent a finished product 

Edited by Gstank29
Cdc isnt a finished product

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

OK curious then... who has generated more of a response from fans than this kid? If the internet was around in 1999 the way it is today, I would admit that those chubby little Sedin boys would have received an overwhelming degree of attention. But seriously this thread grows 2 or 3 pages everyday and it has no signs of slowing down.

Getting more of a response doesn't make him more polarizing.  

Maybe you chose your words wrong, but the Sedins were both far more polarizing as prospects (and even as players).  Luongo would trump all 3 for most polarizing player by a long shot.

5 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Getting more of a response doesn't make him more polarizing.  

Maybe you chose your words wrong, but the Sedins were both far more polarizing as prospects (and even as players).  Luongo would trump all 3 for most polarizing player by a long shot.

So he's in the top 4 is what you're saying? Lu was and remains the best goaltender that the Canucks have ever seen and the Sedins are without a doubt the best forwards that the Canucks have ever seen. Seems like good company to be in as a 19 year old...

I'm really excited to see what Jake will be like after this tournament and after half a season back in the WHL. Honestly, right now he's still young and nowhere near ready but I really believe that an extra year will do him a LOT of good. He'll come to the Canucks training camp next season bigger, stronger and hopefully have a much more refined offensive and defensive game.

I look forward to seeing Virtanen and Gaunce duking it out for a permanent spot because they're directly competing for a similar spot.

4 hours ago, Edlerberry said:

virtanen has the skill set to be a team leader, but he's a follower and not a leader. he needs to be confident and assertive to get the most from his physical skills, instead he comes across as meek.

its maturity. i don't know if he's hungry enough. he seems to say the popular thing and put on the veneer of maturity, but lets face it, kid's been a natural and dominated based on size/speed, and never had to try hard consistently. easy home life, has he ever HAD to earn something the hard way...

some kids don't need those lessons, they're naturally comfortable in their skin and are self-motivators. virtanen is the kid who's mom picked out his clothes for him in high school and never had to set his own alarm clock cause mom woke him and drove him. 

self starters use that as a competitive advantage. followers regress to normal by slacking in other areas unless specifically directed.

That sounds like a harsh and unfair judgement of Virtanen to me. Not everyone can be a leader, and I don't see him being one at this point. But to claim that he's "the kid who's mom picked out his clothes for him in high school and never had to set his own alarm clock cause mom woke him and drove him." That's just ridiculous and makes little sense. 

He's one of the toughest rookies of this year, made clear by the fact that he was leading all rookies in hits before his injury and call up. He's only get tougher from here on out. I dunno if where he'll go after the tournament, but 'm staying optimistic that he'll be a great player for the Canucks in the long run. Many people here want Lucic on this team, and many were sad to see Kassian go. Many fans still love Bertuzzi. That's enough to tell you the importance of tough and rough wingers. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Edlerberry said:

virtanen has the skill set to be a team leader, but he's a follower and not a leader. he needs to be confident and assertive to get the most from his physical skills, instead he comes across as meek.

its maturity. i don't know if he's hungry enough. he seems to say the popular thing and put on the veneer of maturity, but lets face it, kid's been a natural and dominated based on size/speed, and never had to try hard consistently. easy home life, has he ever HAD to earn something the hard way...

some kids don't need those lessons, they're naturally comfortable in their skin and are self-motivators. virtanen is the kid who's mom picked out his clothes for him in high school and never had to set his own alarm clock cause mom woke him and drove him. 

self starters use that as a competitive advantage. followers regress to normal by slacking in other areas unless specifically directed.

We should help them out by getting rid of Higgins ASAP

59 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

So the 6th overall pick has to be the next crosby. And please explain your way below average claom

There we go with the hyperboles again.

He's a 6th overall pick and older than some of his teammates in TC.

Yet after the last couple games JV has been played scarcely and, quite frankly, looks like he doesn't belong in this team. 

inb4 excuses, saying that we're haters, calling us delusional, etc.

Edited by guntrix
  • Upvote 1

Q. Should he have been given a shot in the NHL as a 19 year old?

A. Absolutely. Now he knows what it means to compete in the NHL and he wouldn't have been able to experience that if he didn't have the physical tools.

Q. Should he stay in the NHL after the WJC tournament. 

A. IMO no. I think that he should be given the chance to become a leader on his junior team and possibly play in the AHL or become a black ace.

Q. Can Grenier or Jensen step into that RW role that Jake was given?

A. 100% that was a determining factor in keeping jake from the start. Jensen and Grenier have proven that they are capable of filling a RW spot in the bottom 9.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

So he's in the top 4 is what you're saying? Lu was and remains the best goaltender that the Canucks have ever seen and the Sedins are without a doubt the best forwards that the Canucks have ever seen. Seems like good company to be in as a 19 year old...

Not saying that, just that those three guys were definitely more polarizing.  Kassian, Nedved, Messier... I'd argue they were more as well.

watching Jake in the exhibition  games is a little tough. He looks disinterested probably becuase he's gotten used to playing with NHL guys who can really make some plays. Switching back to junior and trying to read what other players are going to do is probably frustrating.

He needs to be the one who steps up and makes the plays now. He needs to find a way to create time and space for himself, but he also needs linesmates who are going to do that for him as well.

I would prefer to see Jake play with guys who want to get him the puck:

Crouse Point Virtanen

Marner Strome Perlini

• Upvote 1

Will be interesting to see how Jake responds to being demoted and playing a lot less structured hockey.  In juniors and WJC its like a loose cannon, and not a whole lot of structure.  Where in the pros, it is all about systems, structure.

For me Jake needs to keep skating.  When he is moving his feet, he is at his best, but he doesn't do it often enough.

21 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Will be interesting to see how Jake responds to being demoted and playing a lot less structured hockey.  In juniors and WJC its like a loose cannon, and not a whole lot of structure.  Where in the pros, it is all about systems, structure.

For me Jake needs to keep skating.  When he is moving his feet, he is at his best, but he doesn't do it often enough.

It's not like he was playing with much structure when he was here either. Always in the right place spatially but not mentally. He just needs to start engaging himself in plays and stop puck watching.

With his draft pedigree and skillset he should dominate this tournament. And by dominate I don't mean hit things and then go for a change.