The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

8 minutes ago, guntrix said:

He looked chubby. Visibly chubby. I'd draw my own conclusions as to why but I'd be crossing some of the aforementioned boundaries.

I thought he looked like a body builder before cutting.

Extreme example:

fbc48ba0a794b64c717ece93449ea5fb.jpg

Edited by J.R.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Extreme example:

I used the "Search Google for Image" function on that picture and all I got were links for "From fat to fit 12 week transformation" programs.

Dude had muscle, but he was definitely a chunker too.

Edited by Jägermeister

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Extreme example:

56fba13bdf978e0581d756ff42c2888e.png

1 minute ago, stawns said:

You clearly have no interest in actual hockey discussion, to the loser list with you

Love these personal announcements... as if you expect people to care that you've put them on ignore.

I expect you to follow through and not quote me back.

Pce.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Extreme example:

Exactly, Jake came into camp looking like the pic on the left. Chubby and carrying way too much extra fat on his body when he should have came into came looking trim more like the pic on the right. I'm sure Jake was working out but judging by the way he looked he was also eating way too many cheeseburgers so he was plain ol chubby and had to cut.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yup, looks like pre-cut body builder...

You say that like it's a good thing...Jake isn't a body builder if ya didn't know. He's a professional hockey player expected to come into camp not 20lbs overweight. I'm impressed at your ability to spin this into a good thing

Edited by Ihatetomatoes
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

You say that like it's a good thing...Jake isn't a body builder if ya didn't know. He's a professional hockey player expected to come into camp not 20lbs overweight. I'm impressed at your ability to spin this into a good thing

32 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You are aware most hockey players work out to add lean muscle these days, yes?

Sounds like Virtanen for who knows what reasons (lack of understanding, immaturity, poor direction from team etc) attempted to bulk up and get 'swole' instead of working on anaerobic, fast twitch, lean muscle and got bulky, slower and didn't do the appropriate cardio to play at this heavier, slower fitness either. So he came in too bulky, slow and unable to play with pace for more than 30 seconds.

He was entirely the wrong kind of 'fit'. Doesn't mean he didn't work out. And yes, entirely the 'wrong shape' for hockey.

I don't think you understand my point.

We'll just include you here too.

A pre-cut body builder is usually someone with a lot of muscle but with a layer of fat on top. Definitely not the generic definition of "fit," even for bodybuilders. 

Edited by J.R.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I don't think you understand my point.

Fair enough....I'm guessing your trying to say he wasn't just partyin and not working out?  We'll see this summer if Jake learns that he can't just eat 4000 calories a day because he is working out lots. Takes an entire lifestyle change to be a truly fit and healthy, hard to learn coming out of teenage hood where you can eat whatever you want and not get fat. 

Just now, Ihatetomatoes said:

Fair enough....I'm guessing your trying to say he wasn't just partyin and not working out?  We'll see this summer if Jake learns that he can't just eat 4000 calories a day because he is working out lots. Takes an entire lifestyle change to be a truly fit and healthy, hard to learn coming out of teenage hood where you can eat whatever you want and not get fat. 

As I said, whatever the reason(s), he had a complete misunderstanding of what he should be doing for training last summer. I'm not even going to touch the silly hearsay of partying etc.

He was working hard at entirely the wrong  type of training. By all accounts he's now on the right track down to 216lbs, presumably working on anaerobic/lean/fast twitch training and his game in Utica has seen corresponding improvement. So long as he can stay on that track this summer, we should see a much improved Virtanen next fall.

Ideally I hope he at least starts in Utica, with far better and more offensively gifted team mates than this year and see him get off to a solid, confidence boosting start possibly earning him a call up at some point during the season and we go from there.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Negative criticism is negative. I downvote it whenever possible and I wish there were more negative votes that I could dish out each day when I see some of the stuff that passes for discussion. So how would you rate his play from the beginning of the season until today? Has he progressed or taken a step back?

Nope. Ignore any progression. Ignore any context. Virt was a lazy partier, out of shape and is a bust. The end.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Negative criticism is negative. I downvote it whenever possible and I wish there were more negative votes that I could dish out each day when I see some of the stuff that passes for discussion. So how would you rate his play from the beginning of the season until today? Has he progressed or taken a step back?

Yes, he's progressed.

But I think the better question is: has he progressed enough?

Just now, guntrix said:

Yes, he's progressed.

Well at least I got you to say something positive, even if you turned around and stomped on it :)). We will see come training camp if he has made enough progress. I'm hoping for a playoff series or 2 for the Comets, which would be great for Virtanen and Demko, and springboard them into next season.

6 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Maybe some of us really believe in Jake's skills to be an excellent power forward, and we are looking for excuses outside of his skills to make ourselves feel better about his potential?  For example I am hoping Jake's lack of on ice success is 100% contributed to his poor off ice choices, and not because he is just not a good enough hockey player.  If it's the former, he can still become that player we all hope for.  If it's the latter. :(  I'm hoping this makes sense to more than just me.

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Dude's busting anyways so no point.

That quote was posted in the Shink-Granlund thread to depict how fans like to come to quick conclusions when it suits their agenda.

And an ironing we go...

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Every weekend"?    Where is this documented?  Who has kept track of this statistic and has reported as such?  Or is it "some" weekends"?  One weekend?  Two?  

This is the problem here.

What is concerning is people formulating opinions then presenting them as facts based on "ifs", "I heards", "she saws", etc.  Those things aren't facts or evidence, they're hearsay and rumours.  Many are also being delivered here second hand, not even straight out of the horse's mouths so to speak (which possibly dilutes things even further and makes it more possible to be something other than "truth").  

Sure criticism of him has been warranted, but this merely 20 year old kid is by all accounts actually getting not only his on-ice game but off-ice and professional aspects together.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Yes, he's progressed.

That question will be answered in September in training camp.

He has all the tools, just needs to put his whole game together.

People sometimes forget that he lost a lot of training and season time due to shoulder injury.

Give him time, he will be a big part of the future Canucks team. I have a lot of faith in Green's ability to straighten out development of young players.

In follow up to the in thread message to review the guidelines (#10) in relation to discussing player's personal lives, if anyone still has questions or needs clarity on that, please p/m me (or another mod).

The discussion here is to be on Jake and his play/progress.  

It's not that we don't allow for negative comments...we do.  But we don't allow for speculating or defamatory comments that are based on hearsay and "he said/she saw" rumours.   Even if a friend of a friend SAW something...there is no basis to explore that as it's one person's account of something and may not tell "the" story, it only tells THEIR story.  This makes it insignificant in relation to this thread because connecting dots based on rumours is unfair.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1