The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

29 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Yep. And that's what the did with Schneider too. Granted , different management , but it tends to be the way most teams develope young goaltenders. They almost always take longer then anyone else to secure roster spots 

Looks like CS had 136 games with the Moose over 3 seasons - I don't think Demko will need that many, but I  too don't want to see this rushed. He's definitely the starter in Utica next season (as per Linden), so if he got 50-60 games in year 1 and then brought up say after the trade deadline after another 30 or so in year 2 that would be very fast, but it may be possible. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78704

1 hour ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Thatcher Demko is an exceptionally athletic goaltender that can seem unbeatable on many occasions. His composure in net and modified butterfly style have scouts comparing him to Pekka Rinne of the Nashville Predators. He prepares himself well, positionally, for initial shots and the subsequent rebounds, and his cross-crease lateral movement is very good. As he tracks the puck, his stick always covers the five-hole and he makes himself big. One of the most noticeable aspects about Demko's style is that he doesn't go down prematurely; he isn't overly aggressive, but will get out to the top of the blue paint to challenge shooters with a clear shooting lane. Moving forward, Thatcher Demko will have every opportunity to develop into an elite franchise-type goaltender that can be relied upon in all situations. [EP] 

Not from what I have seen :P, he has a tendency to flip his stick upwards.

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Looks like CS had 136 games with the Moose over 3 seasons - I don't think Demko will need that many, but I  too don't want to see this rushed. He's definitely the starter in Utica next season (as per Linden), so if he got 50-60 games in year 1 and then brought up say after the trade deadline after another 30 or so in year 2 that would be very fast, but it may be possible. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78704

Schneider split time with Drew MacIntyre the first little while in Manitoba before taking over for sure in his third AHL season. Bachman is there for Demko now, and I'm not sure if we'd still pursue Garteig now that Demko's signed, but he'll be able to ease in somewhat so that's a bonus.

30 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Not from what I have seen :P, he has a tendency to flip his stick upwards.

I've noticed that a few times, but I think he has a general understanding of when the five-hole is prone to scoring chances and covers it up with the stick. 
Honestly, I don't think he uses the stick as much as other goalies, and that's fine as long as he makes the save. He's so big and gets down so quickly that there isn't always a five-hole to shoot at.

Awesome that he got signed! 

I've been guilty of being sucked into the "vortex of fear" surrounding college players and this signing helps ease that anxiety.

Know what else help ease anxiety? A high percentage of CBD....

But seeing as the Boeser angst is a year out... It'll be indica tonight boys, sativa- take seat, I'm getting couched.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if this might lead to a couple more college signings... if Caggiula and other guys were on the fence about Vancouver this might help Benning out in swaying him to sign.

I think Hutton and Try help..plus a small cache of top flight forward prospects...and who knows what we'll be adding at the draft?  (I think we'll be getting a high pick next year too )

8 hours ago, DJSkingz said:

Can't wait to see what his mask art will look like.

Dude, the pillows too.

Markstrom looks really good in blue and green, but Thatcher is even a little flashier. He'll don some iconic setups as a Canuck, I'm sure of it.

5 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

this is great news if he signed, management finally did something right. I think i should go to superstore and buy a big bucket of oreo icecream and eat it to celebrate. 

Is it that time of the month again already so soon?

1 hour ago, theminister said:

Isn't Alf not allowed in here now since Demko's nane was stricken from the record?

That would be my vote. He's lost the privilege to speak on such matters. 

But trolls gotta troll, right?

Alf wanted to trade Markstrom and burn Demko at the stake 3 days ago. I can't take this guy seriously anymore.... Come to think of it, I never did.