The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Still with the Canucks. Can't offer a iron-clad guarantee that the team will sign prize goaltending prospect Thatcher Demko in the next week but can report the Canucks don't share the angst over Demko in this market. The belief in the organization is Demko will sign here. It might not happen quickly enough to satisfy the faithful but he will sign.       (Willes column yesterday)

(Elsa/Getty Images)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DJSkingz said:

People just need to take a chill pill and relax. I know it is the off season for the Canucks but there is still good playoff hockey being played.

The weather is also extremely nice right now. Get outside and be active.

Take a breath and let some time pass. When Demko makes a decision THEN we can start discussing that decision. Nothing we can do now but give yourself worry lines or more grey hairs.

Don't tell me how to live my life. 

Jk, I went for a run today and it was fantastic. What isn't fantastic is that Demko isn't signing. Not saying he wont sign, he probably will. I, as well as a lot of people here are just annoyed that he hasn't signed yet. 

• Upvote 2

I've noticed that there are some concerns over Demko not signing because of Markstrom and might with a Cali team, should remember that SJS has Jones, LAK has Quick, and ANA has Gibson. All young net minders besides Quick who still has at least 5 years+ in his career. 

Vancouver is a great place to goalies to develop, the only problem is haveing multiple good goalies sharing the net which Demko shouldn't have a problem with since he's going to distance himself with his allstar potential. 

48 minutes ago, suitup said:

I've noticed that there are some concerns over Demko not signing because of Markstrom and might with a Cali team, should remember that SJS has Jones, LAK has Quick, and ANA has Gibson. All young net minders besides Quick who still has at least 5 years+ in his career. 

Vancouver is a great place to goalies to develop, the only problem is haveing multiple good goalies sharing the net which Demko shouldn't have a problem with since he's going to distance himself with his allstar potential. 

out of all those guys and markstrom, marktrsom is the worst of the bunch so far, so why wouldn't we just off load markstrom for a late 1st when demko is ready to take over?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

out of all those guys and markstrom, marktrsom is the worst of the bunch so far, so why wouldn't we just off load markstrom for a late 1st when demko is ready to take over?

What year?  He's a FA next June.  

5 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Goalies aren't the same as players you tell them  "here are some NHL games" now perform, the position doesn't work like that. Even the goalies you have mentioned has spent 2 seasons in the AHL.

You don't rush goalies because it more of a mental game this a skill based game....

Your reply has nothing to do with my post so I have no idea why you quoted me in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

Your reply has nothing to do with my post so I have no idea why you quoted me in the first place. 

I think he was trying to say goalies each go through their own unique development path so it's tough to compare demko's situation to Schneider's. I think.

33 minutes ago, Toews said:

7 hours ago, Toews said:

Ideally we keep both and run a tandem similar to Anaheim where we eventually trade Markstrom. But it will depend on how much Markstrom will want in his next contract.

I assume this is after Millers contract is up. If that is what you are talking about then you are suggesting we give Demko games after one season in the AHL  aka "rushing a prospect" and then giving him 30ish games without him earning them

Edited by Gstank29

8 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

I assume this is after Millers contract is up. If that is what you are talking about then you are suggesting we give Demko games after one season in the AHL  aka "rushing a prospect"

Not sure why you assumed I was saying that but ok.

6 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

move it along guys, he is not signing so what options do we have? also how much value does this guy realistically have? What teams in the market want a goaltender, is Benning that dumb that he would sell Demko to our rival. Seems he enjoys helping out Calgary alot? Hopefully Benning realizes Demko has to be moved and not to Calgary, because yes they need goaltending. I don't know what other teams need goaltending in the East. Realistically it will be a trade with Demko and more. 

Sooo...ya, ONLY about Demko not signing, no jab at Benning or trying to get value or anything of the sort in a completely defeatist attitude.

Yup.

5 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

dear mr nergish, 

my post was only asking for a back up plan if Demko doesn't sign. And I mentioned hopefully our management doesn't trade him to our rivals because that would suck! So can you let me know what the alternatives are if he doesn't sign? What's his realistic value?

Whoa wait a moment, mentioned our management hopefully not sending him to a rival?  Ye gads man, you pinned Benning to the wall about trading him to Calgary straight up not 20 minutes before you made this secondary post.

I am concerned about you son, do you feel faint, dizzy?  Spots in your vision, blood in your stool?

• Upvote 1

If its one thing I cant stand its a prospect/player with a self important, prima donna attitude like he thinks he's too good and can do better. Instead of being grateful for the opportunity to play for an NHL team like he should be, he wants to explore his options. I don't know if this is he case with Demko, (his actions give that impression) or if he just wants to finish his education of whatever, but if it is the case, then he should make it clear right now and not keep people waiting and wondering what is going on or if he's interested or not. No one wants a player with a self centered attitude like that on the team. If you aren't interested in being here, then get lost.

Edited by amitriptyline
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, amitriptyline said:

If its one thing I cant stand its a prospect/player with a self important, prima donna attitude like he thinks he's too good and can do better. Instead of being grateful for the opportunity to play for an NHL team like he should be, he wants to explore his options. I don't know if this is he case with Demko, (his actions give that impression) or if he just wants to finish his education of whatever, but if it is the case, then he should make it clear right now and not keep people waiting and wondering what is going on or if he's interested or not. No one wants a player with a self centered attitude like that on the team. If you aren't interested in being here, then get lost.

You drunk? 

• Upvote 3

Can't see him not signing as any good agent and really, informed prospect, could see that the Canucks depth chart at G is really lacking. There aren't a lot of teams that are as weak as we are in terms of goalies in the pipeline (excluding Demko of course). 

The delay in making a decision though is interesting, but maybe his degree is that important to him. He strikes me as a good kid , I think even if he does go back he will still sign. However , management would likely get pretty nervous and look to move him at the draft if he does in fact decide to to back.

panicking about this now accomplishes absolutely nothing
  • Upvote 1