The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Ben Kuzma @benkuzma 2h2 hours ago

Talked to Cloutier about adjustments Demko must make in AHL next season. Willing student, has great base to build upon.

Cloutier on Demko's pro potential: "I like his competitiveness and net presence and the way he doesn’t give up."

Cloutier on Demko's AHL challenge: "He has to bring it up another gear speed wise. You’re up against guys who can pick corners."

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, baumerman77 said:

Good news. A couple years in the AHL and hopefully he is ready for a backup role. 

He'll probably have a better year than Markstrom did last year in Utica. 

I can can see him getting a shot at backup after just one year. I'm obviously just speculating. But judgin by his size and athleticism and body of work in BC. This kid is the holy truth. As far as I'm concerned he is the new core. 

Edited by Camel Toe Drag

Canucks sign Thatcher Demko

Wednesday, 20.04.2016 / 4:20 PM Vancouver Canucks
July1214_thatch_dl.png

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed goaltender Thatcher Demko to a three-year entry-level contract.

Demko, 20, completed his third season with Boston College, leading the Eagles to the Hockey East regular season championship and a berth in the NCAA Frozen Four. Demko posted a 27-8-4 record along with a .935 save percentage and a 1.88 goals-against average in 39 games with the Eagles this season. His 10 shutouts on the year set a new Boston College school record and ranks as the second most in college hockey history for a single season.

The 6-4, 195-pound goaltender was awarded the 2016 Mike Richter Award as the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA men’s hockey. He was also a finalist for the 2016 Hobey Baker Award.

In three seasons at Boston College, Demko has posted a 62-26-10 record, along with a 2.08 goals-against average and a .928 save percentage. A native of San Diego, California, Demko was originally selected by Vancouver in the second round, 36th overall, at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=878951

• Upvote 1

I think he will take some time to adjust to the pro level, so patience is required for the first dozen games or so. Once he has had time to adjust I think he will put up some great numbers. So excited to see him play and develop. 

3 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

Outside of loyalty to the Canucks organization coupled with a strong commitment to his education, I don't see a reason why he wouldn't go UFA if he spent the last year in college, and at that point, there was nothing to suggest he had any loyalty to the Canucks.

If Demko had decided to go back to College, I would have agreed that free agency was likely for him. I wouldn't have stated it definitively, but I probably would have strongly believed it. Him signing here showed that, for whatever reason, he did want to be part of the organisation (from what I can tell, it's because of our lack of goalie depth which will likely fast track him to the NHL)  and therefor fit into the OP's first scenario. Either that, or as you said, he just wanted money fast, but it seems that neither of us believe that.

As was mentioned during the conversation he did have some reasons to sign here, and considering some of his statements after being drafted that would have suggested loyalty to the Canucks in my view. How much loyalty is another question, but certainly more suggestive than thinking he had no loyalty to the team and would automatically go to UFA.

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

This takes me back to communications 201. Just because he doesn't say I think or in my opinion doesn't change the fact that it is his opinion. Anyone could reasonably conclude that however unfounded or presumptive his statements were, they were completely opinion and had no basis in fact.

I give him credit for being ultra confident and have a strong opinion while talking firmly out of his butthole. Just offer him a tic-tac and move along.

And just because he says that's the only possibility doesn't make it so either. I put out some alternate options and left it open saying I couldn't predict what Demko was thinking.

But this is CDC, how many people take opinion stated as fact and treat it as fact from then on? It happens frequently enough that I was happy to A.) get clarification that he didn't have a source or something that would make it fact, and B.) make sure it was clear this was only his opinion on what he thought would happen.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

We're the only team that could sign him at the end of his college season next year and burn a year off his ELC by signing him.

And this is probably the most important point. Saying he'd definitely wait until mid-August to go to UFA rather than sign ignores how he could get pro experience in after his NCAA season was over and prepare for the next year. It's not even as much about the money, although that helps.

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He's going to get his chance to see NHL shots in about 2 weeks in Russia at the IIHF Worlds. Now I'll tune in for sure to the US games. 

I am so crazy excited. I really thought he'd go back. This is the best news we've had in a while 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Does he join Utica and practice with the team?

I know he won't play but I think it will be good to get to know the players there, the city and especially its fans.

As noted before and after in this thread, he's been picked up by Team USA for the Worlds. He got the call and accepted over the weekend. So no to Utica for now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I am hopeful that his game translates quickly to the pros and he is ready to play back-up to Markstrom by next trade deadline.  If not, we will likely be stuck with Miller and get no assets back.

Not all goalies need years of development in the AHL and I hope Demko is one that doesn't.

58 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

He'll probably have a better year than Markstrom did last year in Utica. 

I can can see him getting a shot at backup after just one year. I'm obviously just speculating. But judgin by his size and athleticism and body of work in BC. This kid is the holy truth. As far as I'm concerned he is the new core. 

I think they want Demko to get a ton of game action. He's very young so no need to rush him. I would assume he'd likely split starts next year and start the year after (and play over 60 games). I think the management would rather him get over 60 games in the AHL rather than less than 25 games in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Just now, elvis15 said:

As noted before and after in this thread, he's been picked up by Team USA for the Worlds. He got the call and accepted over the weekend. So no to Utica for now.

Ah yes I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.