The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The proposed rules were 2 years of pro hockey.

But technically if the expansion draft is held in before July 1st, Virtanen will still be in his second year of pro, so he shouldn't have to be protected.

One thing is a bit concerning is the college pick rule

So we'd need to sign some of our players just to protect them.

So both Demko and Boeser would need protection then...

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Absolutely.  I'm glad we agree.  Lou became a much better (more consistent) goalie with us.  He goes back to FLA and leads them to a division title.  Schnieder does nothing but lose in Jersey.

Your criticism of Cory Schnieder fully exploits your tunnel vision 

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

They will need protection if we don't sign them and remained unsigned college players over 2 years, but as soon as they do sign them, they will be considered first year pros and will not need protection

Yes exactly, that's what I was inferring but I didn't make it clear as you did. 

If they are not signed they will need protection.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Chicken or the egg?  Some say (okay Alf says) as the pressure mounts, Schneider fades or gets cramps)

Either you don't watch much hockey or your just hella biased. CS is one of the best goalies in the game. 

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Wow, you guys aren't giving Demko a lot of credit and yet you're giving Boeser a whole lot. They both have excellent skills for their positions and could equally be very strong players. If either walked away from us after 4 years of college and chose to go to UFA I'd have equal feelings about it. In the case they did, it'd be losing a late first vs losing an early second that have the potential to be better than average chances of being NHL'ers (and good ones perhaps) than is usual in that range.

Goalies man, they'll break your heart. 

Seems weird to say, but Demko's dad following Blake Price and TSN Radio Vancouver and then posting "three days" is probably a good sign...
I'm sorry for getting swept up in CDC's hysteria. Thatcher is a good kid, his dad seems like a proud hockey dad - the crease is waiting for him in Utica. 

I would be very surprised if he's not signed. Also, you guys heard Boeser's interview? He's signing. I mean, hell, why wouldn't they? These are late 1st rounders/early 2nd round picks. They're promising young athletes, but should know better than to try to call the shots at this stage... especially for no real reason other than to slight the team that drafted them.

8 minutes ago, nergish said:

Seems weird to say, but Demko's dad following Blake Price and TSN Radio Vancouver and then posting "three days" is probably a good sign...
I'm sorry for getting swept up in CDC's hysteria. Thatcher is a good kid, his dad seems like a proud hockey dad - the crease is waiting for him in Utica. 

I would be very surprised if he's not signed. Also, you guys heard Boeser's interview? He's signing. I mean, hell, why wouldn't they? These are late 1st rounders/early 2nd round picks. They're promising young athletes, but should know better than to try to call the shots at this stage... especially for no real reason other than to slight the team that drafted them.

Not sure what this means. 

Got a link?

8 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Didn't his dad go to school here?  Did he not pay his own way to one of the canucks camp?  Did he say he would play for Vancouver if they drafted him during the draft interviews?  .

I'd be more concerned with Boston winning the draft lottery, which is happening quite a bit for me today:(

I think this computer sim is a little bogus.  I had Montreal win 3 in a row it can be that easy. The real sim will keep us in the top 3 I can feel it:)

1 minute ago, Canorth said:

Not sure what this means. 

Got a link?

Brenton Demko (Thatcher's dad) goes by @uggstown on Twitter. 
4 hours ago he posted simply "3 days". And recently on his page he started following a bunch of Vancouver related accounts.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, nergish said:

I don't really think a player's draft number affects their decision to test out free agency or not. 

If he chooses to go back for another year, I think the possibility of him signing will really depend on how the team's young guys perform. Whether or not he feels like the new core of this team is one he fits into and could win with. 

55 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Goalies man, they'll break your heart. 

And yet Schneider did more for us as a drafted player that went through the college system than many of our other drafted prospects who came from junior or even overseas around the same time. Our drafts in the several years after that broke my heart far more.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

And yet Schneider did more for us as a drafted player that went through the college system than many of our other drafted prospects who came from junior or even overseas around the same time. Our drafts in the several years after that broke my heart far more.

Yep.  The college players sure have hurt this team:

Kesler, Tanev, Hutton, Schneider...

27 minutes ago, nergish said:

Brenton Demko (Thatcher's dad) goes by @uggstown on Twitter. 
4 hours ago he posted simply "3 days". And recently on his page he started following a bunch of Vancouver related accounts.

Could be he's hinting that his boy will be signing in 3 days. I really hope so.

But it given that @uggstown is referencing Uggstown Investments of San Diego, and in three days it's April 15th (the filing deadline for the States), maybe it's just a middle aged investments guy joking about tax stuff? ;)

EDIT: Then again, April 15 is a Friday and IIRC the IRS extends Friday deadlines to the next Monday. So maybe the three days doesn't fit. Not it that I was all that committed to the taxes theory. Lol.

After all, that Twitter account is almost exclusively posts about Thatcher and hockey. So hopefully it's hinting at Thatcher and the Canucks making an announcement on Friday.

We'll find out soon enough.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Added above
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RyIe said:

I don't really think a player's draft number affects their decision to test out free agency or not. 

If he chooses to go back for another year, I think the possibility of him signing will really depend on how the team's young guys perform. Whether or not he feels like the new core of this team is one he fits into and could win with. 

Well, it shouldn't. But I mean, somebody like Boeser can look and see that 20+ players in his age group were taken ahead of him that don't have a say in where they play because... they shouldn't. The Canucks haven't mistreated him. He now has the attention of the hockey world after his strong play, but he's still a teenager playing in college, which is typically seen as a league lower on the totem than major junior. Maybe the kid deserves to be selfish, but what does that even really mean? That Vancouver isn't a "cool" place to play? 

That's the hardest part about all of this. If Thatch decides he's not going to play for Vancouver, he's saying just that - he doesn't like our city, he doesn't like our colours, he doesn't like our logo, and he doesn't like our team. I'm not gonna sit here and let these kids insult this organization like they've somehow "earned" the right to pick and choose where they play. Even Connor McDavid is in Edmonton, what a bummer of a place that is to live... but they took him. Despite being told he's "generational" etc. etc. he's still a hockey player overcoming incredible odds to play in the greatest league in the world. He wears those colours proudly, even if it wasn't the absolute perfect vision he had when he closed his eyes as a kid.

That's why I think these kids will sign. 

Also, I think Benning and Willie (begrudgingly) force-starting the youth movement this year was in part an indication to our prospects still in the minors that we're trying to revamp our image. We're not a "good" team or a "bad" team - we are whatever this next wave of players make us. These kids don't have to carve out roles, they will be lynchpins of the whole core moving forward. Space has ALREADY been made for them.

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Could be he's hinting that his boy will be signing in 3 days. I really hope so.

But it given that @uggstown is referencing Uggstown Investments of San Diego, and in three days it's April 15th (the filing deadline for the States), maybe it's just a middle aged investments guy joking about tax stuff? ;)

Lol. Then how neurotic would we look here at CDC? Seriously, this kind of over-analyzing teetering into cyber stalking should be the only legitimate concern Thatcher has about signing here. We care waaaay too much about this sh!t.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Your criticism of Cory Schnieder fully exploits your tunnel vision 

Alf does not understand. If that means Alf thinks Schneider sucks then he agrees.  When we sign Demko, he is INSTANTLY better than Schnieder 

47 minutes ago, nergish said:

Well, it shouldn't. But I mean, somebody like Boeser can look and see that 20+ players in his age group were taken ahead of him that don't have a say in where they play because... they shouldn't. The Canucks haven't mistreated him. He now has the attention of the hockey world after his strong play, but he's still a teenager playing in college, which is typically seen as a league lower on the totem than major junior. Maybe the kid deserves to be selfish, but what does that even really mean? That Vancouver isn't a "cool" place to play? 

That's the hardest part about all of this. If Thatch decides he's not going to play for Vancouver, he's saying just that - he doesn't like our city, he doesn't like our colours, he doesn't like our logo, and he doesn't like our team. I'm not gonna sit here and let these kids insult this organization like they've somehow "earned" the right to pick and choose where they play. Even Connor McDavid is in Edmonton, what a bummer of a place that is to live... but they took him. Despite being told he's "generational" etc. etc. he's still a hockey player overcoming incredible odds to play in the greatest league in the world. He wears those colours proudly, even if it wasn't the absolute perfect vision he had when he closed his eyes as a kid.

That's why I think these kids will sign. 

Also, I think Benning and Willie (begrudgingly) force-starting the youth movement this year was in part an indication to our prospects still in the minors that we're trying to revamp our image. We're not a "good" team or a "bad" team - we are whatever this next wave of players make us. These kids don't have to carve out roles, they will be lynchpins of the whole core moving forward. Space has ALREADY been made for them.

I haven't closely followed the whole Jimmy Vesey saga but from what I've read, Nashville's GM said Vesey repeatedly said he would sign and spurned them for Boston in the end. If Demko did something like that, made a commitment to the team and went back on it, that would be insulting to the city and organization. I want to believe Benning asked Demko at the combine, before drafting him, if he could see himself playing in Vancouver and received a positive answer. 

• Upvote 1