The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I disagree JM.  Nik had hockey to play, and was with the guys.  His wife was alone, and far away from family and friends, and not able to speak the language.  He left for her.

but thats just speculation, no one really knows that. I think Nik was happy to take a break from here after how WD handled things. Maybe his wife was part of it but all that did was make it an easier decision. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but thats just speculation, no one really knows that. I think Nik was happy to take a break from here after how WD handled things. Maybe his wife was part of it but all that did was make it an easier decision. 

I can accept Willie D had a role in Nik's leaving too.  

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Botchford would agree:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-defenceman-tryamkin-takes-offence-and-bolts-canucks-for-russia

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It's not all trying to be negative, some of it is simply trying to temper excessive expectations.   If you were watching this year's playoffs, take any of the series and the teams that won did it with SPEED.   Size helps but the speed of the game was amazing this year.   The Blues are fast.   Their forecheckers were fast and their D are constantly moving.   Compare any game you like in the later rounds with any game feed you can dig up on Tryamkin from the past season - it will be like watching YouTube on 0.75 speed.   The guy simply hasn't been involved in anything remotely close to what the NHL is right now for going on three years.    

Irrespective of how you feel he was treated, the bizarre advice he got on training/Utica and his wife's reasons for not liking living Vancouver - you will be hard pressed to convince anyone he has improved since leaving and I cannot fathom you not having a concern about his prime development years being spent in a league that plays D significantly different than in North America.   Watch the games!    

I would love to see this guy come back to North America and dominate.   Truly would.   I am also a realist and know of no defensive player who went "back" to the KHL and became better.   Regression, severe in most cases, is almost always the result.    

Those are just a couple of clips from the past 2 years.. and the guy he dropped mitts with is probably listed as 6’5”.. and Nik dosent really want to fight,. But won’t leave a warranted challenge as we have seen here already.

Expectations?

I don’t really have any, . But I see a no lose situation with this player, no matter how “old school” wisdom sees it.

Utica? Lol..  he would be there a day..  so that’s a worthless topic.

He would be the best D man in Utica, and above 2-3 starters in Vancouver..  and that’s not optimism,  that’s observation with watching Tryamkins game develop in the KHL.

We’re not talking a #1 D man here Rob, I think we can both agree on that,. But I think you miss the point on how a #1 or 2 Dman are supported.

Im done with how this young man was treated, unless someone mentions “out of shape” and “Utica Assignment”.

3 years after those words by Desjardins, they were spoken to the press when they shouldn’t have been, that was unprofessional..  it was a designed attempt by a Coach to engage management and gain respect from a player he had no interest in talking to.

... but hey, a lot of us have been treated unfairly,.  Some of us just want “the kid” or some one else to experience it himself for humilities sake.

A “cup of coffee” isn’t worth the 2 bits it used to be Rob.

Sometimes it’s better to make your own, than to wait for it.

Tryamkin will return.. and he will be the player on a sad sack D that brings that Unit together.. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, SilentSam said:

Those are just a couple of clips from the past 2 years.. and the guy he dropped mitts with is probably listed as 6’5”.. and Nik dosent really want to fight,. But won’t leave a warranted challenge as we have seen here already.

Expectations?

I don’t really have any, . But I see a no lose situation with this player, no matter how “old school” wisdom sees it.

Utica? Lol..  he would be there a day..  so that’s a worthless topic.

He would be the best D man in Utica, and above 2-3 starters in Vancouver..  and that’s not optimism,  that’s observation with watching Tryamkins game develop in the KHL.

We’re not talking a #1 D man here Rob, I think we can both agree on that,. But I think you miss the point on how a #1 or 2 Dman are supported.

Im done with how this young man was treated, unless someone mentions “out of shape” and “Utica Assignment”.

3 years after those words by Desjardins, they were spoken to the press when they shouldn’t have been, that was unprofessional..  it was a designed attempt by a Coach to engage management and gain respect from a player he had no interest in talking to.

... but hey, a lot of us have been treated unfairly,.  Some of us just want “the kid” or some one else to experience it himself for humilities sake.

A “cup of coffee” isn’t worth the 2 bits it used to be Rob.

Sometimes it’s better to make your own, than to wait for it.

Tryamkin will return.. and he will be the player on a sad sack D that brings that Unit together.. 

Speed of the game.   Don't just grab highlights, you can watch full games.    He needs to work on a LOT of things inclusive of decision speed etc.   He will not be improved in those areas and needs to be in North America and work on those.   It is a shame he was not here at 22 to do that and at 26 will have a harder time but I will most certainly pull for him.   Just don't be expecting him to be something he is not.    

I have no idea why tempering expectations is met with discussions about WD.    ??????   This is about a guy who has taken three of the most critical development years and put his NHL dream (if he has one) at severe risk.   That is a fact proven by so many players.    Watch him.   Watch a game this coming season.   You will not see an NHL ready Dman.   You will get glimpses that are tantalizing but he needs some time and given the time away from NA, that time may be a lot longer that many here seem to think.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Speed of the game.   Don't just grab highlights, you can watch full games.    He needs to work on a LOT of things inclusive of decision speed etc.   He will not be improved in those areas and needs to be in North America and work on those.   It is a shame he was not here at 22 to do that and at 26 will have a harder time but I will most certainly pull for him.   Just don't be expecting him to be something he is not.    

I have no idea why tempering expectations is met with discussions about WD.    ??????   This is about a guy who has taken three of the most critical development years and put his NHL dream (if he has one) at severe risk.   That is a fact proven by so many players.    Watch him.   Watch a game this coming season.   You will not see an NHL ready Dman.   You will get glimpses that are tantalizing but he needs some time and given the time away from NA, that time may be a lot longer that many here seem to think.

3 years of his most critical?

everyone has a different curve, and a different way of making it to the “bigs”..  

Hell, Chara was unstable until the age of 27-28.

Tryamkin is not meant to be rushing up the ice, he is a D man..  please tell me you don’t think that I’m looking for “McDavid” expectations.. 

He is. and will be NHL ready when he gets here.

60 games went a long way with Benning, and they do with me..

He will also be allowed to make mistakes, and thrown back into the mix.

Maybe you were never given that option before?

.. times change Rob.

Let go of your era.

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

3 years of his most critical?

everyone has a different curve, and a different way of making it to the “bigs”..  

Hell, Chara was unstable until the age of 27-28.

Tryamkin is not meant to be rushing up the ice, he is a D man..  please tell me you don’t think that I’m looking for “McDavid” expectations.. 

He is. and will be NHL ready when he gets here.

60 games went a long way with Benning, and they do with me..

He will also be allowed to make mistakes, and thrown back into the mix.

Maybe you were never given that option before?

.. times change Rob.

Let go of your era.

LOL.   "My era".   I have no clue what you mean by "long way with Benning".   Benning is keen on seeing this prospect come and show what he can do.   I doubt very much he has any preconception that it is a lock for this guy to be more than he was when he left - and the team he is returning to, and the league, have improved including getting faster.

I sure hope this guy doesn't disappoint you.    You have built him up far beyond the player he actually is.   I figure if this guy never did return that in a few years, he will have a statue raised with a "better than Chara, close to Orr" engraved near the arena there in Vancouver.   

Good luck with this.   IF he comes back, just don't be too harsh on him when he takes a full year or even more to really get back to being a North American player - inclusive of being sent to Utica NOT meaning he is not up to the NHL eventually, just that he needs time to get back up to speed.

Try and get your head around that I am pulling for him - REALLY pulling for him.   I cannot help the fact I have watched him play in the past few seasons - admittedly almost entirely on video - but it is a league I know very well.   IF he would have spent the past few years in AHL, Sweden or even Finland given the position he plays and the type of player he is, I would be more bullish on him.   I sincerely hope I am wrong and he is all he can be and all you think he is.   Sincerely.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL.   "My era".   I have no clue what you mean by "long way with Benning".   Benning is keen on seeing this prospect come and show what he can do.   I doubt very much he has any preconception that it is a lock for this guy to be more than he was when he left - and the team he is returning to, and the league, have improved including getting faster.

I sure hope this guy doesn't disappoint you.    You have built him up far beyond the player he actually is.   I figure if this guy never did return that in a few years, he will have a statue raised with a "better than Chara, close to Orr" engraved near the arena there in Vancouver.   

Good luck with this.   IF he comes back, just don't be too harsh on him when he takes a full year or even more to really get back to being a North American player - inclusive of being sent to Utica NOT meaning he is not up to the NHL eventually, just that he needs time to get back up to speed.

Try and get your head around that I am pulling for him - REALLY pulling for him.   I cannot help the fact I have watched him play in the past few seasons - admittedly almost entirely on video - but it is a league I know very well.   IF he would have spent the past few years in AHL, Sweden or even Finland given the position he plays and the type of player he is, I would be more bullish on him.   I sincerely hope I am wrong and he is all he can be and all you think he is.   Sincerely.   

I’m not sure which of our statements are more outrageous,.  If you thinking that my opinion of Tryamkin as a 2nd pairing D man are my  “high expectations” .

.. or yours that he should or should have to spend 2 years in the AHL.

Maybe I see a ceiling in this player that is untouched, and matched for the NHL game.. 

You see him slow on a large ice surface, as a big body with large stride as compared to foot speed.

Either , or..  We both are hopeful that this prospect shines when he gets here, and can call Vancouver home for many years.

... but I have never been as excited to watch a Canuck since Bure.

Edited by SilentSam

Tryamkin is better than 8 of these guys in the list of those who played for us last year. And less injury prone than 2 of those ahead of him. And probably more physical than Schenn. Surely there's a spot for him when he gets back. Plus none of our young D has leap frogged into the pro's like Hutton did.

1 SE Alexander Edler 
2 CA Troy Stecher 
3 CA Ben Hutton 
4 CA Alex Biega
5 CA Derrick Pouliot 
6 CA Christopher Tanev  
7 CA Erik Gudbranson 
8 CA Michael Del Zotto 
9 US Quinton Hughes  
10 CA Luke Schenn  
11 CA Ashton Sautner
12 CA Guillaume Brisebois
13 US Brogan Rafferty
14 CA Josh Teves
Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin is better than 8 of these guys in the list of those who played for us last year.

So a 14 player list minus 8 of these guys makes him about a 5 or 6 d, with upside. About where I'd put him for the first year if he comes back. Until his play deserves more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Heh Rob

Was day dreaming and came up with this......

You remember Larinov, Makarov and Fetisov ? These guys came to the NHL way after their development curve and killed the NHL, same as Radulov, etc...these guys did just fine coming in late...…..the day of thinking that the NHL and North America is the only place to develop hockey players is gone, and you only have to take a look at the draft board to see that

The point is, I don't think we can say one way or another, how he will be until he gets here, and show cases his talents again...….

Now, no slam meant for you, but Benning and his crew have a far better idea, how he is doing, and would have had scouts tracking him...….

Personally, I am getting a little fed up with all the negatively around him, from the pocket experts that have no idea now he is now, and are only expressing their opinion

Now, in your case, I know you have better insight, but still, the point remains the same, with all due respect! And I mean that sincerely.

I am tired of all the jibber jabber, why he left, how good he is, etc...…….we will know if and when he comes back

And the reason he left is totally irrelevant now, don't you think?

PS...….I know you are on his side and are hoping as most are, that he comes in and shows well

Time will tell, I guess....or maybe it will!

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

We both are hopeful that this prospect shines when he gets here, and can call Vancouver home for many years.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Heh Rob

Was day dreaming and came up with this......

You remember Larinov, Makarov and Fetisov ? These guys came to the NHL way after their development curve and killed the NHL, same as Radulov, etc...these guys did just fine coming in late...…..the day of thinking that the NHL and North America is the only place to develop hockey players is gone, and you only have to take a look at the draft board to see that

The point is, I don't think we can say one way or another, how he will be until he gets here, and show cases his talents again...….

Now, no slam meant for you, but Benning and his crew have a far better idea, how he is doing, and would have had scouts tracking him...….

Personally, I am getting a little fed up with all the negatively around him, from the pocket experts that have no idea now he is now, and are only expressing their opinion

Now, in your case, I know you have better insight, but still, the point remains the same, with all due respect! And I mean that sincerely.

I am tired of all the jibber jabber, why he left, how good he is, etc...…….we will know if and when he comes back

And the reason he left is totally irrelevant now, don't you think?

PS...….I know you are on his side and are hoping as most are, that he comes in and shows well

Time will tell, I guess....or maybe it will!

One word for you - Krutov.

Sorry, that was mean.   ALL the examples people give are for forwards.   Dmen simply do not develop in KHL like they do in North America.   All I am asking people to do is give the kid a chance IF he comes to develop...he will need that time/space and added to his challenge will be bad habits learned during three key years where he was not in North America.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin is better than 8 of these guys in the list of those who played for us last year. And less injury prone than 2 of those ahead of him. And probably more physical than Schenn. Surely there's a spot for him when he gets back. Plus none of our young D has leap frogged into the pro's like Hutton did.

1 SE Alexander Edler 
2 CA Troy Stecher 
3 CA Ben Hutton 
4 CA Alex Biega
5 CA Derrick Pouliot 
6 CA Christopher Tanev  
7 CA Erik Gudbranson 
8 CA Michael Del Zotto 
9 US Quinton Hughes  
10 CA Luke Schenn  
11 CA Ashton Sautner
12 CA Guillaume Brisebois
13 US Brogan Rafferty
14 CA Josh Teves

OK, you would have said same if Philip Larsen was on that list....right?  Philip Holm?   Cody Franson?   Patrick Wiercioch?    These are just a sample of four guys in KHL who Canuck fans know who ALL were ranked ahead of the big guy last year for their play.  ALL of them.    Would Canuck nation be that excited for any of these guys coming back?   I get the fascination with his size and surprising mobility at that size - I like that too - but that isn't enough to overcome fact he has a ways to go to get where he needs to be in NHL.

Once again (and for 100th time at least), I am keen on this guy succeeding.   I am far from convinced, however, based upon facts that he will do it easily and I see all the hype as not going to help his cause.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

One word for you - Krutov.

Sorry, that was mean.   ALL the examples people give are for forwards.   Dmen simply do not develop in KHL like they do in North America.   All I am asking people to do is give the kid a chance IF he comes to develop...he will need that time/space and added to his challenge will be bad habits learned during three key years where he was not in North America.

Fetisov sure did...…..maybe not offensively.....but one hell of a Defensive Dman

The Krutov comment was funny though...………..you could have said donuts, and I would have known who you were thinking of....lol

PS...…………….I do get what you are saying...…….I am just going to wait and see....it may take a year to get it together, so I am good with that

of course I am hoping for him to be a 3/4 at least...……..but I do not expect him to be a #1...…………….possibly a #2, but my hopes are not that high

Just a solid 3/4 will be fine.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

OK, you would have said same if Philip Larsen was on that list....right?  Philip Holm?   Cody Franson?   Patrick Wiercioch?    These are just a sample of four guys in KHL who Canuck fans know who ALL were ranked ahead of the big guy last year for their play.  ALL of them.    Would Canuck nation be that excited for any of these guys coming back?   I get the fascination with his size and surprising mobility at that size - I like that too - but that isn't enough to overcome fact he has a ways to go to get where he needs to be in NHL.

Once again (and for 100th time at least), I am keen on this guy succeeding.   I am far from convinced, however, based upon facts that he will do it easily and I see all the hype as not going to help his cause.    

He outplayed Larsen head to head in the playoffs.Larsen was invisible in their post season matchup.

The others barely established themselves as yet.

Did you watch Atvo's playoffs?

He is probably very overrated but SO fun to watch. Such an oddity having a 6'8 Russian dman join the team. I thought he was going to suck but he wasn't too bad. The sample size was small at 13 games. The following season it started off rough with the healthy scratches but he ended up playing pretty solid. His size and ability to skate at his size generate a lot of excitement but he will probably be a Bryan Allen calibre NHL dman. That said still so fun to watch!