The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Forsling | D

Grape

Forsling appears to have just signed a 3 year deal to stay in the SHL. I saw this in the reddit canucks page and they linked an article in swedish http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/shl/linkoping/article19736817.ab

Yes. There is usually a nhl out clause though so it wont matter much exept for Forsling being paid for playing in SHL rather than being considered a junior player.

Do you think you could translate this?

http://www2.lhc.eu/artikel/59002/

It is with pleasure that we announce today that the LHC product Gustav Forsling has signed a first team contract with Linköping Hockey Club . The contract comes into immediate effect and is written up to the 2016/2017 season .

Defenseman Gustav Forsling had a chance during the preseason and managed through good actions to play into the first team. Now he is awarded a first-team contract for three years.

- Gustav is an exciting player who has impressed with his mature game . We see him as part of the LHC's future and are delighted to have signed a three-year contract with him , said the LHC's general manager Fredrik Emvall .

Gustav has played his entire career in an LHC jersey and followed the steps of development from the boys team , through high school and junior hockey to the Association's representative team.

- I'm very happy about this. It feels very nice to write a first-team contract with my home club and it's something I've dreamed about ever since I started playing hockey at the LHC , says Gustav Forsling .

I would guess that contract is also to protect the financial interests of LHC since he is doing well. If he signs with Vancouver while still under contract, Canucks would have to pay a transfer fee. Losing talent "for free" to North America is a popular complaint in the SHL.

What are Forsling's chances of playing for Sweden in the world juniors? Seems like an 18 yr old playing in their men's league would at least get a look.

I remember the august camp roster included Cederholm but not Forsling. However he has done well so far this season, and given the rash of injuries they had last year, its not too far fetched I guess.

I remember the august camp roster included Cederholm but not Forsling. However he has done well so far this season, and given the rash of injuries they had last year, its not too far fetched I guess.

Looked up that august camp roster after your post. They only invited 8 defenseman to the camp. Forsling has played for the U20 team in some other competitions this season (1G, 1A in 3GP). So he looks like a consideration for Sweden for this year and next. Canucks could end up very well represented at the world juniors.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's his gamelog http://www.shl.se/statistics/profile/gamelog/2729/2014

His ice time has increased significantly after his first five games. He now plays anywhere between 19-21 minutes a night.

Looking at his teams ice time for D it looks like he is on the 2nd pairing playing with Magnus Johansson. He`s 41, the captain of the team and apparently (was) one of the better European offensive-defenseman so hopefully Gustav can learn a lot from him.

There was the Euro Top 4 Nation tournament in Prerov, Czech Republic this weekend. As Prerov is my hometown I was so happy to go there watch our prospect playing for Swedish U20 team. Sweden won all three games, I watched the last one against Russia (4:1) and was happy to see that Gustav was used in all situations and was pretty solid. After the game, I reached him in the streets and asked him to sign my Canucks hat. He humbly did and I could see how the other Swedish stars looked jealous, haha. I must cross my fingers for him now and wish him all the best in his hockey development.

Archived