The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks will make a serious attempt at Iginla

You discredit your argument with "guaranteed points". There are none and each year is different.

The fact of the matter is he is getting older and if we're going in a new/younger direction, doesn't fit with that.

lol Iginla's lowest point total in the league is 60 points (not counting the lockout shortened year). I understand that anything can happen during a season but it makes no sense to shove a prospect in there when you can have iginla who you know is capable of putting up the point totals required to be a top 6 forward.

To the point that we are getting older if we sign him, well duh but we aren't losing any youth to get him, they all need their time to develop and to prove that they are ready for the step up to top 6 minutes. Not only that you need veterans like Iginla / Sedins / Hamhuis / Bieksa / Higgins to:

A. Be competitive

B. Ease the young guys in to the line-up rather than throw them to the wolves

C. Show them how to conduct themselves.

Now I understand that people want to go for a top 5 pick but there is no way this team is going to flounder like last year. Torts + Gillis was a mess last year, mis-managed, mis-coached I expect a much better result.

I also expect more trades, as I'm thinking Hansen, Schroeder, and maybe Tanev might be traded depending on what he wants in terms of salary.

Doesn't he want to go to a cup contending team? I'm pretty sure were not a contending team.

I don't think Chicago, LA, Ducks, Pittsburg, Boston, are able to fit him under their cap / structure right now...

There are probably closer teams than us to be a contender but I don't think we're too far away from being competitive after a couple UFA signings.

I'd do two years for Iggy for sure, even at an overpayment to a point for his UFA status. He'd be aware if it isn't a fit we could look to trade him of course, and his prorated cap hit at the deadline might suddenly be affordable to a contender - especially if they move some cap back to us (hopefully something we can use since I wouldn't want a straight cap dump).

Doesn't Hansen's no trade clause only kick in on July 1st with the new contract?

If that is how it works, I can see him being moved in the next couple of days.

Correct. He's been a player I've maintained might be better moving to make space for younger players if we can't move others. Nothing against his season last year at all as I think he'll return to form and would hate to see him do so elsewhere, but he was a player we used too often as a top 6 fill in and might be better with someone like Iginla in free agency and opening up a bottom 6 spot for someone else.

If he's willing to come here, I'd take a short term deal. Maybe 2 years for 3.6 million?

:lol: you can't be serious?

To outbid 29 other teams the Canucks are going to probably have to offer between $6.5-$7M on a 1 year, or $5.75-6.25 on a two year deal.

And guess what? They have the cap space so why not do it? He would be a better mentor for Horvat, Shink, Virtanen, McCann, etc ... then the Sedins would IMO.

And even if not we can trade him at the dead line for 1st round picks and prospects. Next year will be a deep draft. If we have tanked and have players to trade for picks will be in a great position

I do like this line of thinking. Whomever we sign we can always move at the deadline for assets, probably not top tier picks or prospects but something that we could help build our system. In 2013 Dallas traded Jagr for 2 C prospects and a conditional 2nd rd pick, not bad for a guy you paid nothing to get.

Iggy mentoring Kassian would be fantastic.

That being said, it would take alot of convincing from Linden to get Iggy on board with their plan. But if anyone can do it, it's Linden. I think him and Iggy seem to have alot of respect for each other after Linden's retirement night.

Archived