The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Johansen and CBJ far apart on a new deal

elvis15

Ryan Johansen spent the past two days camping near his home in British Columbia, and the Blue Jackets spent the past two days adding a new wave of talent to the organization at the NHL draft.

But these are not peaceful, happy times for either party.

Contract negotiations between the Blue Jackets and their top offensive player are going nowhere, even after a meeting this weekend in Philadelphia between Johansen’s agent, Kurt Overhardt, and assistant general manager Bill Zito.

The road block to further negotiations appears to be the term.

“We’re not even close,” Johansen told The Dispatch. “They say ‘We want to sign you to a ‘bridge’ deal.’ We say ‘We don’t want to do a ‘bridge,’ and that’s the end of it.”

The Blue Jackets want to sign Johansen to a two- or three-year contract, which would expire when he still was a restricted free agent.

Johansen, 21, who led the Blue Jackets and was 11th in the NHL with 33 goals last season, wants at least a four-year deal, sources said, after which he would become an unrestricted free agent.

He was the youngest 30-goal scorer in the NHL last season.

“I’ve earned more than a two- or three-year deal with my play,” Johansen said. “It seems a little disrespectful, to be honest.

“I want to play in Columbus, and I want to be a Blue Jacket, but I want to get this done. It seems like a slap in the face.”

General manager Jarmo Kekalainen declined comment on the negotiations when reached by The Dispatch.

But the organization’s position on Johansen is well-established.

The Blue Jackets spent the first two years of Johansen’s career with a firm boot behind him, insisting he play with a drive and passion that didn’t seem to come to him naturally or consistently.

It came to a head last year. After Johansen had been sent to the minor leagues to keep playing when the Blue Jackets’ season ended, Johansen was made a healthy scratch in an American Hockey League playoff game because coaches didn’t like his effort level.

Those concerns seemed to fade last season, when Johansen’s play became more consistent and he began taking over games with his skill.

Johansen said the Blue Jackets still believe his conditioning isn’t up to snuff, and the organization is miffed that he didn’t remain in Columbus this offseason to train with other players.

In the 2012-13 season, when the Blue Jackets returned from the Olympic break, the club gave every player a “VO2 Max” test. It’s a grueling measure of fitness by lung capacity.

“I had the best VO2 on the team,” Johansen said. “Obviously, everybody’s conditioning can get better. That’s why you put in the work every summer. But I don’t think it’s a problem with me.

“The more I played, the more we won last season, and I got better the more I played. I don’t see the issue.”

Johansen is likely to gain significant leverage on Tuesday, when free agency starts and Johansen, a restricted free agent, is free to negotiate with any team in the league.

If Johansen reaches an agreement with another NHL team, he could sign an offer sheet that the Blue Jackets would have one week to match.

Kekalainen has vowed to match any offer sheet to keep Johansen.

If the Jackets didn’t match an offer sheet, they would lose Johansen and be compensated through draft picks. The number and quality of draft picks would be determined by how much Johansen’s contract is worth, but almost certainly would be worth multiple first-round draft picks.

Interesting, although I'm not sure anything comes of it. If Benning and Linden want to make a splash with more homegrown players, Johansen would certainly be a target. Maybe we could offer something reasonable without going the route of an offer sheet, but Columbus would likely want a lot unless they don't see a way around the impasse.

In before all of the bring him home proposals.

but seriously, who doesn't hope to god this kid just takes a four year and walks home to Vancouver just in time to supplant the Sedins on their way out the door.

Remember, 1st line talent can come from anywhere

Johansen is the real deal. However it'd cost a fortune to bring him here...

Offer sheet penalties

• $1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
  • Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
  • Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
  • Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
  • Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
  • Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
  • Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

Offer sheet penalties

I'd give him 5 mill on a 4/5 year deal

Offer sheet penalties

We should offer him $3,350,000 x 4

Only a 2nd round pick or if they match he'll be UFA after that contract

If he really wants $$$ then I'd forfeit the 1st for 5M x 4 or something. Kid is sweet and McDavid isnt coming to Canada.

Offer sheet penalties

Around 16/18m for 4 years? Anything more than that we shouldnt bother

If he really wants $$$ then I'd forfeit the 1st for 5M x 4 or something. Kid is sweet and McDavid isnt coming to Canada.

In before all of the bring him home proposals.

but seriously, who doesn't hope to god this kid just takes a four year and walks home to Vancouver just in time to supplant the Sedins on their way out the door.

Remember, 1st line talent can come from anywhere

Too late, I already suggested it in the OP. B)

Would love to see him here and wanted to trade for him when he was sent to the AHL and benched last year.

Offer sheet penalties

I'd try an offer equivalent to the 1st/2nd/3rd, replacing the third we don't have with a solid prospect. They might have some interest in one of Schroeder or Dalpe as a secondary prospect, but it'd more likely be including one of McCann/Gaunce/Cassels along with a 2015 1st to make it happen. Actually, they'd probably ask for Virtanen/Horvat/Shinkaruk, but with them having the issue signing him maybe we could get a deal.

I'd give him 5 mill on a 4/5 year deal

On an offer sheet? CBJ would match.

He wouldn't sign a low ball offer like 3.350,000

If they can't resign him I'd try a lowball trade offer.

Because no one else will offer anything better? I know I'd be hoping for a value trade, but lowball certainly won't cut it.

I think the only way it'd work is a high $$, short term offer sheet. Even if they match they have to qualify him when that deal expires to a similarly high amount, and it's less likely he'll negotiate a reasonable deal beforehand because of the animosity, similar to the Ryan O'Reilly situation in Colorado right now.

If we explained that to him when tendering the high $$ offer and CBJ didn't accept, we gladly pay the compensation and then negotiate a more reasonable follow up deal for him to stay in Vancouver.

We could acquire one if he is interested.

We'd have to acquire our 3rd specifically, since only your original picks can be used for offer sheets.

Archived