The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No More Free Agent Signings! Bring on the Kids!

scarecrowtruth

I see. So not having the ultra-high draft picks they've had is the Canucks reason to not try to infuse youth at all? Pretty defeatist outlook.

yet true.........there's a pretty big gap between the top 3-4 pick in a draft and anything past 9-10.

How about waiting for the end of training camp before getting excited about having no youth in the lineup...

Like everyone else who sees fit to comment on these boards, I'm getting a head-start on the action. You'll just have to live with that, my friend. A few pairs of looser underwear might do you a world of good.

Never said they would succeed at high level just that you never know what you have until they are given a chance. Canucks have followed detroit model which saves a few years on contract dollars. (Play at 21 or so) colorado..chicago and pittsburg followed different road. Who is to say which is better but i think most are excited to watch shink play at some point this year based on what he did last preseason. Hopefully he is healthy and then given a chance. Iether way at least we have some hope now with some young prospects

Never said they would succeed at high level just that you never know what you have until they are given a chance. Canucks have followed detroit model which saves a few years on contract dollars. (Play at 21 or so) colorado..chicago and pittsburg followed different road. Who is to say which is better but i think most are excited to watch shink play at some point this year based on what he did last preseason. Hopefully he is healthy and then given a chance. Iether way at least we have some hope now with some young prospects

thats why the AHL is there, to learn how to be professional hockey players and get used to playing against men. Why would you throw kids out there to play against the Ducks, Kings, Blues, Sharks, Chicago.......to say nothing of teams like Minny, Col and Dal who just got a whole lot better.

But, I guess if you want to shatter their confidence and set them up to fail, then that's a pretty good formula.

Like everyone else who sees fit to comment on these boards, I'm getting a head-start on the action. You'll just have to live with that, my friend. A few pairs of looser underwear might do you a world of good.

I really don't think the Canucks have been terrified to plug in young players. What we have here is the tail end of a team that loaded up on vets with longer deals to try and win (which meant no room for rookies). Even as it stands now, we are still stuck with plenty of the old roster. The only guy that I see making the team that is a raw rookie is Horvat. The rest won't be around. Even Jensen is on thin ice to make the roster with the acquistion of Vey. If no other moves are made, there is basically only room for 1 rookie to play. I think many fans are going to be disappointed that there will be a lack of newer Canuck draft picks in the lineup yet again this season; barring injuries.

I see. So not having the ultra-high draft picks they've had is the Canucks reason to not try to infuse youth at all? Pretty defeatist outlook.

Infusing youth only makes sense if we are not rushing prospects. The only two NHL ready prospects are Vey and Jensen. Horvat should be in the pros but can use a year in the AHL but can only go down to Junior. Shinkaruk could use some game time and the best option would be the AHL.

I dont even think Horvat is NHL ready yet.. but sending him back to juniors might be counter productive. He should be in the AHL but the rules are moronic.

Having him centre Higs and Kass on the 3rd line in protected minutes may not be so bad. Assuming we pick up Vrbata and have Burr return to his natural wing.

D. Sedin H. Sedin Jensen

Burr Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Matthais Richardson Dorsett

But that leaves Vey who I think should be on the roster.... Is it too big a risk to slap him on the 2nd line RW? What hand is he, left probably. So many questions so much time. Vey also plays centre so more then likely Horvat returns to JR to out perform kids again. Shucks.

I really don't think the Canucks have been terrified to plug in young players. What we have here is the tail end of a team that loaded up on vets with longer deals to try and win (which meant no room for rookies). Even as it stands now, we are still stuck with plenty of the old roster. The only guy that I see making the team that is a raw rookie is Horvat. The rest won't be around. Even Jensen is on thin ice to make the roster with the acquistion of Vey. If no other moves are made, there is basically only room for 1 rookie to play. I think many fans are going to be disappointed that there will be a lack of newer Canuck draft picks in the lineup yet again this season; barring injuries.

Now you're making my points for me. (!)

The Canucks have spent the last 5 years chasing a Cup. Fair enough. They tried, exhausted draft picks and assets and in one year, came close to winning. During that time, development for young guys was very curtailed. And I have no problem with any of it. It was certainly worth a shot. But if anyone is saying that now is not the time to invest ice-time in youth, then when does that time arrive? The bottoming-out last season is the clear sign that the new direction is needed. It's time for a youth movement...last season's disaster says so. I'm really hoping JB and Trevor will see that through.

Now you're making my points for me. (!)

The Canucks have spent the last 5 years chasing a Cup. Fair enough. They tried, exhausted draft picks and assets and in one year, came close to winning. During that time, development for young guys was very curtailed. And I have no problem with any of it. It was certainly worth a shot. But if anyone is saying that now is not the time to invest ice-time in youth, then when does that time arrive? The bottoming-out last season is the clear sign that the new direction is needed. It's time for a youth movement...last season's disaster says so. I'm really hoping JB and Trevor will see that through.

How was youth development curtailed? If you read the popular opinion on this board, you can't rush your prospects. While I don't really agree with that sentiment at all, I still don't see much room on the current roster to fit in some rookies.

What I originally meant was wait until training camp to see how this all flushes out before we all chastise the Canucks for vets over youth.

No you have the right because we have that right in Canada. You choosing to pay for something and/or continue to watch it if you're unhappy with it gives you no extra rights at all.

Missed your voice of reason around here.

are youth isn't quite ready to step in yet sure I want to see horvat shinks gaunce fox etc play but they all need ahl/ junior time to get bigger and stronger , get ice time , develop into nhl players , I see most of them playing next year , I see Jensen playing this year but there isn't a lot of roster spots open for anyone else , except when the fire sale happens at the trade deadline

Youth infusion is coming. The projection is around 2-4 years. Canucks are not going the Edm route. They want their young players ready and hungry. Also supported by vets that can help them when they falter.

This is the Western Conference. I don't want to watch boys getting ground into the ice and half boards.

Well, it seems like we've reached the point where I have no idea what our roster looks like with all of the moves we've made recently. However, assuming no other moves (which is unlikely considering how many have been made already), here's approximately what we're looking at:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

Matthias-Horvat-Vey/Jensen

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Jensen or Vey will come up when injuries come; Dorsett and Sestito are spares.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Corrado-one of these many defensemen we've acquired over the last few days (can't keep track)

Miller

Lack

(Miller gets 50, Lack gets 32)

Our defense seems a little bit worrisome, as does our offensive depth on forward, but I still think we've got a decent shot at a wild-card spot. Miller takes the pressure off of Lack, and the young players should be able to gain reasonable amounts of ice time, particularly because the Sedins should return to 18 minutes a game and we won't have Kesler eating up 25. Shinkaruk and all of our 2014 picks should have another year to develop. Schroeder may be able to push out one of our rookies but he'll have to show up in exceptionally good condition. Santorelli could provide some excellent depth if signed but most likely at the expense of Horvat (Matthias and a few others will be able to push Horvat, but the second-line centre position is also open).

With Vrbata signing and Burr staying on (to date) the cue the youth movement line-up proposals can mercifully cease.

Kassian will be back on the third line and hopefully working hard in September and October to have a shot on the second line.

Jensen is in line to play with the big team this year and that's about it.

Even Corrado is going to have a hard time cracking the lineup with the additions on D.

I guess the individuals will make their statements in camp but the new mgmt. has shown they are going to compete instead of merely playing rookies.

A team with too many rookies and not enough veterans will FAIL. Look at Edmonton: Many talented kids but not enough veterans. There's some things only a fellow NHL player can teach that a coach can't. We want a few 30+ year olds that mentor the kids so that they become our core by the time our older players retire and as of this moment our only veterans that would set a good example are Bieksa, the Sedins, and Miller. We could have used a player like Iginla who may be on the decline but is still a solid 2nd liner, not to mention that he's a great leader and a pretty classy guy.

Well there is a difference.

Edmonton had a blueline full of bottom pair/AHL D men. And a goalie who couldn't consistently give the team a chance to win.

They didn't have the guys on forward or D to handle the tough minutes, the 1st overall guys were thrown to the wolves.

Here we have the Twins, we have Hamhuis/Bieksa/Edler/Tanev, we have Burrows/Hansen/Higgins, we had a goalie in Lack who did consistently give us a chance to win, and we brought in another one with experience & pedigree in Miller.

We can usher in the younger guys easier than EDM can, cause we have the Vets as a safety blanket.

I take the same basic stance as these guys, I think bringing youth along at this stage is vital, and coming into free agency I would have tried to keep it in mind that we need afford younger players an opportunity.

I am however a huge huge fan of the Vrbata signing & I do understand the Miller move, but at somepoint we need to start bringing youth along, and it needs to be soon.

Vancouver is one of the most desirable locales in the league, both because of the city and the organization. And no doubt Linden is one of the most respected people amongst players. I don't think there's any issues with Benning, either, and Desjardins gets rave reviews from everyone who has ever played for him.

I think they held out for Iginla, which may have cost them on other options that went well ahead of him. That tells me they were close enough to a deal to take that chance. In the end, $16 mill for three years was just too much. I'm thinking, had they matched that, he'd be front and center of headlines in a Nucks jersey. I'll take this as an indication that they're not going to make stupid deals just for the sake of any deal at all, and that's good.

Well said on the bottom paragraph.

Well there is a difference.

Edmonton had a blueline full of bottom pair/AHL D men. And a goalie who couldn't consistently give the team a chance to win.

They didn't have the guys on forward or D to handle the tough minutes, the 1st overall guys were thrown to the wolves.

Here we have the Twins, we have Hamhuis/Bieksa/Edler/Tanev, we have Burrows/Hansen/Higgins, we had a goalie in Lack who did consistently give us a chance to win, and we brought in another one with experience & pedigree in Miller.

We can usher in the younger guys easier than EDM can, cause we have the Vets as a safety blanket.

I take the same basic stance as these guys, I think bringing youth along at this stage is vital, and coming into free agency I would have tried to keep it in mind that we need afford younger players an opportunity.

I am however a huge huge fan of the Vrbata signing & I do understand the Miller move, but at somepoint we need to start bringing youth along, and it needs to be soon.

Having Miller will help us make the playoffs.

Vey and Jensen are my best bet to make the team full time. We also got younger with the additions of Sbisa and Bonino.

It is not like we aren't bringing in youth and now we are able to call up some kids from the AHL.

We can be patient with Horvat, sucks he might spend another season in the OHL but it will be worth it in the end.

The Vrbata signing fits well. Some of our prospects will probably be ready to make the jump by the time he is gone.

Having Miller will help us make the playoffs.

Vey and Jensen are my best bet to make the team full time. We also got younger with the additions of Sbisa and Bonino.

It is not like we aren't bringing in youth and now we are able to call up some kids from the AHL.

We can be patient with Horvat, sucks he might spend another season in the OHL but it will be worth it in the end.

The Vrbata signing fits well. Some of our prospects will probably be ready to make the jump by the time he is gone.

I don't really see the Miller move as greatly improving our chances at playoffs, simply because goaltending has never been our problem, IMO Eddie Lack gave us a chance to win in nearly every game he played last season, and while I would have liked to have seen what Eddie/Markstrom could do, and while I had faith they could do a fine job, bringing in Miller does offer some comfort at that position.

The big move that helps our playoff chances is Vrbata, scoring was a desperate need for us, and this guy can be money on the PP, he will be an awesome player for us.

I see Vey, Horvat & Jensen as prime candidates for the roster, problem is there is only room for one of them, and that will likely be Vey, considering the spot available might be a center spot, which would leave it down to a center either Horvat/Vey and since Vey will be waiver eligible, it will be his. Unfortuantely though because as of now I think Horvat would be better served in the NHL, Knights fans say he has nothing left to learn in the OHL.

I would like to move out a Hansen as I've said before to open up room for Horvat/Jensen on top of Vey, but it is nice that now with some of our prospects moving to the AHL like Shinkaruk, Fox, & Gaunce, they will be available to play on our roster at anytime.

Archived