The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Burrows' Said No To Waiving NTC

Burr earned his contract and NTC. His perogative to refuse to waive. I'd refuse NJ too.

People are quick to condemn one of the hardest working players because he had a terrible year. First time he has had to deal with injuries ladies and gents, keep that in mind. I see Burr having a regular Burr year, 25g at least while being Mr. Everything.

Burr earned his contract and NTC. His perogative to refuse to waive. I'd refuse NJ too.

People are quick to condemn one of the hardest working players because he had a terrible year. First time he has had to deal with injuries ladies and gents, keep that in mind. I see Burr having a regular Burr year, 25g at least while being Mr. Everything.

Who is he going to score 25 goals playing with, if not the Sedins?

That's the conundrum here.

I'm a fan of his BTW, just trying to be realistic. The only way I see him providing the kind of offence expected from a contract that size (and yes, he's earned it as I spoke to in my previous post), is if he plays with the Sedins.

According to Vrbatas agent though, the appeal to come to Vancouver was the chance (assurance?) to connect with the twins.

Should that fall through then you have Burr on that line. But how likely is that? And what do you do with him if it doesn't?

Curious what people think about this and what solutions they can conjure up, because it's a sticky situation.

I think burrows is gone by September. Bennington will make it happen.

Whois Bennington? anyways I hope so. this guy has scared the image of himself the Canucks. We can't continue on moving foward with him in on our team. He is penalties waiting to happen, it's unreal how disrespectful he is as a player.

Who is he going to score 25 goals playing with, if not the Sedins?

That's the conundrum here.

I'm a fan of his BTW, just trying to be realistic. The only way I see him providing the kind of offence expected from a contract that size (and yes, he's earned it as I spoke to in my previous post), is if he plays with the Sedins.

According to Vrbatas agent though, the appeal to come to Vancouver was the chance (assurance?) to connect with the twins.

Should that fall through then you have Burr on that line. But how likely is that? And what do you do with him if it doesn't?

Curious what people think about this and what solutions they can conjure up, because it's a sticky situation.

not every player needs to score 25 goals in order to be effective. Burrows' game brings way more than just scoring goals. He is a guy who can do everything well while performing when you need him to.

Did the Sedins actually help him scoring that Chicago OT goal? Those are the stuffs that Burrows can do consistently.

I really dont get why p eople want him out now. Hell even when you look at his cap hit it's not that outrageous. Sure it's a bit of overpayment according to his performance last year, but it's not a deal breaker, nor he shows any sign that he will continue to underperform next season.

ffs Jordan Staal is eatting up 6 mil of cap hit for 15 goals and Clarkson eats 5 mil of cap for 5 goals..There are far worse contract than Burrows out there.

Why does everything have to be so black and white on CDC?

FTR: Not everyone wants to dump Burrows because of his Cap hit, or the fact that he had a porr season last year. I think most reasonable fans believe that he'll probably get back somewhere close to the form that earned him the money he's currently making.

But he is an older player and his production likely will continue to decline.

With the Canucks realisitically years away from being a legitimate contender, it makes sense to move a player like Burrows, if there is a deal out there that helps secure the team's future. A high prospect and a first round pick is more to the benefit of the team in the long run, than a diminishing return for the next few seasons.

That's why it makes sense to trade Alex Burrows. Not because of his contract. Not because of his last season. Because it helps the team.

That being said, I don't agree with anyone who criticizes a player for not waiving an NTC. That was negotiated in good faith by both parties and the player usually takes less money to get it. If Burrows truly doesn't want to leave Vancouver until his contract expires, that is his right.

Excellent post ! More logic many will fail to see I fear. Obviously with the way JB is cleaning house no one is safe and getting the best returns for what we have now will benefit the entire club in the future. It his hard to digest for some when a player like Burr brings his 200 ft game all over the ice, but his worth will never be higher unless of course he rips 30 goals this year(highly unlikely)

not every player needs to score 25 goals in order to be effective. Burrows' game brings way more than just scoring goals. He is a guy who can do everything well while performing when you need him to.

Did the Sedins actually help him scoring that Chicago OT goal? Those are the stuffs that Burrows can do consistently.

I really dont get why p eople want him out now. Hell even when you look at his cap hit it's not that outrageous. Sure it's a bit of overpayment according to his performance last year, but it's not a deal breaker, nor he shows any sign that he will continue to underperform next season.

ffs Jordan Staal is eatting up 6 mil of cap hit for 15 goals and Clarkson eats 5 mil of cap for 5 goals..There are far worse contract than Burrows out there.

So true !

...which is where he should *always* have played, in my opinion.

I, for one, have no issues with him not waiving his NTC. That's perfectly his right.

Furthermore, I think the majority of people who want him gone desire so because of his crappy season. And yes, it was indeed crappy. But I'm pretty confident he's going to regain form, and will be a fine fit on our 2nd line or a backup if Vrbata cannot find chemistry with the Sedins.

The guy works his tail off for the team - and that kind of effort is contagious. I'm not going to go as far as to say "Burrows... we really need him", but there are far worse options/contracts out there and I think our team is no less competitive by having him in the lineup.

Do you think this leads to Hansen being traded? I could see him waiving to Winnipeg where his Wife is.

Anything's possible I suppose, but one would have thought that the team would have done so before his NTC kicked in.

He played like crap before the injury ! Tripping over the blue line and coming up half boards and passing to defenders legs with opposing players right on him

Doesn't change the fact him Kes and Samuelsson were the best 2nd line we've had in years. I don't care how he skates as long as points were on the board.

But your misguided take on Raymond pre injury won't change so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

It's good that Benning is trying to clear up the mess that is MG's NTC for basically everyone that was on the 2011 Stanley cup final team. As far as Burrows goes i think he will score 20 next year, but as someone else said he is a roadblock for developing young players by taking up a top 6 slot.

Anyways i hope Benning can get rid of at least one more NTC as we have to many.

I'm happy to have Burrows on our 3rd line. Thrilled actually?

Danny / Hank / Vrbata

Jensen / Bonino / Kassian

Higgins / Horvat / Burrows

Mathias / Richardson / Dorsett

Vey

Just means Hansen may get traded...

Maybe if we had Eriksson I'd feel more comfortable with moving Burrows before the season starts. But there's still no guarantee that whoever we bring in can have chemistry with the Sedins.

With the Bruins offloading Iginla for cap space it looking unlikely they'll trade Eriksson. So considering past success with the twins, a generally ok shootout guy, and currently our best PK I feel ok with keeping Burrows for insurance purposes.

Maybe if we had Eriksson I'd feel more comfortable with moving Burrows before the season starts. But there's still no guarantee that whoever we bring in can have chemistry with the Sedins.

With the Bruins offloading Iginla for cap space it looking unlikely they'll trade Eriksson. So considering past success with the twins, a generally ok shootout guy, and currently our best PK I feel ok with keeping Burrows for insurance purposes.

FWIW, Vrbata's agent claimed that the Canucks promised RV a spot with the twins, at least to start the season...

Whether or not he gets moved depends entirely on his play vs. Jensen. If Jensen plays better than him in the preseason, does well in training camp and looks like a top 6 forward, Burrows has to be gone. It would be stupid to keep a guy making $4.5m for 3 more years as we've already got insane bottom 6 depth. If u can't trade him, send him to Utica, he can't block that. He'll probably get picked up tho and wouldn't clear, but there's an overpaid 3rd liner off the books.

Now, if he beats out Jensen at training camp, looks good in the preseason and is more ready than Jensen, then keep him. If he plays as a top 6 forward, there's no need to trade or waive him. In that case, send Jensen to Utica so he can be more NHL ready next year.

It's not the worst thing. At the very least you know he is going to work hard and being a good character guy and positive influence on the young guys even if he doesn't totally bounce back this year.

Depth chart

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Matthias-Vey

Hansen-Richardson-Dorsett

Sestito extra forward

D

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Sbisa- Corrado

Stanton- Weber

Miller