The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck do you have your eye on next year?

Angry Goose

Honorable Mention to Radim Vrbata, same reasons as Miller, really. If he gels with the Sedins, look out. I had the opportunity to watch him in Phoenix a few times while on holiday down there and he's actually a bit better than his stats tell the tale. I noticed him rather frequently in a scoring position - he's one of these low-key guys who just seems to magically find open ice all the time, so if the Sedins can adjust slightly to find those gaps where he'll be. he'll be tapping in 35-40 this year. I know people will laugh at me for saying a figure like that, but he really does have quick hands. I watched a game in Phoenix last year vs Calgary and he took an off-wing slap pass (From left side of ice, he's a right shot), settled it down, shot and scored from the bottom of the right-hand hash marks, all before the goalie even knew he had the puck. It was quite a goal.

I don't think that's that unreasonable. Not only has Vrbata had pretty awful linemates, he was stuck in Tippet's system which, while effective, does not encourage scoring.

Based on last year, we have severely overpaid.

Henrik got 50 points in 70 games I think, that's .71 points per game. He was injured and the power play was lacking. I think one down year doesn't make hi. Over paid when toews is making 10.5 and has a career high of 74 points and hasn't played a full season in 4? Years.

Thanks for your input though

For me its two players.

Zack Kassian - is he ready to become a solid second liner at age 23. I expect 20 goals, 45 points and several fights. Then next year we can start looking at him moving into a true power forward capable of 30/30

Bo Horvat - I think sending him back to junior is a mistake, and he cant go to the AHL. He is ready to take the plunge IMHO . He can work on 4th line minutes and limited powerplay time as a reward depending on his 5 on 5 play.

I am looking for him to be a good team mate and work hard. This would lay a very good foundation.

Henrik got 50 points in 70 games I think, that's .71 points per game. He was injured and the power play was lacking. I think one down year doesn't make hi. Over paid when toews is making 10.5 and has a career high of 74 points and hasn't played a full season in 4? Years.

Thanks for your input though

He was 92nd in the league - are you saying 91st and up should be making more than him?

We discussed this at length in another thread a while ago...

He should be getting 10 points per million, so he should be getting 70 points min a season.

Not 50.

Not 60.

Toews, though overpaid as well now, at least has not one but 2 cups.

Thanks for pointing that out.

He was 92nd in the league - are you saying 91st and up should be making more than him?

We discussed this at length in another thread a while ago...

He should be getting 10 points per million, so he should be getting 70 points min a season.

Not 50.

Not 60.

Toews, though overpaid as well now, at least has not one but 2 cups.

So 70 points in 82 games is .87 points per game, one down season at .71 points per game in 70 games, while making ~6M is .1 point per game above what you were hoping for... Therefore, by your terrible logic, he is producing at a satisfactory rate.

It takes a team to win a cup.

So 70 points in 82 games is .87 points per game, one down season at .71 points per game in 70 games, while making ~6M is .1 points per game above what you were hoping for... Therefore, by your terrible logic, he is producing at a satisfactory rate.

It takes a team to win a cup.

Nope - you missed the math.

He is paid per season - not per game - ergo it doesn't matter if he plays 50 games or 82 games - he still needs to produce the same 10 points per million dollars.

I'd agree your way if he only got paid per game played.

Thanks for missing the point.

If it takes a team to win a cup (which I agree) why do so many fans put so much weight on players that have won?

Example, Cory Crawford makes $6 million a year yet his career sv% is only .914 and GAA 2.36

Schneider makes the same (now) yet he has better stats at .925 and 2.11.

Is it because Crawford has a won a Stanley Cup?

Nope - you missed the math.

He is paid per season - not per game - ergo it doesn't matter if he plays 50 games or 82 games - he still needs to produce the same 10 points per million dollars.

I'd agree your way if he only got paid per game played.

Thanks for missing the point.

If it takes a team to win a cup (which I agree) why do so many fans put so much weight on players that have won?

Example, Cory Crawford makes $6 million a year yet his career sv% is only .914 and GAA 2.36

Schneider makes the same (now) yet he has better stats at .925 and 2.11.

Is it because Crawford has a won a Stanley Cup?

Just wow at the bolded part... Just... Wow.....They are paid per quarter and do miss out on money if they miss games. Hence why suspensions are actually bad for a player. Minimum wage in the NHL is $6707 per game I do believe.

No one really puts weight on Crawford... The reason the Bruins, the Hawks. and the Kings have been so dominant is the fact that all 4 of their lines are playable. They are solid down the whole team.

The Canucks have a great 1st line, a weak 2nd, a good 3rd, and no 4th. That is the difference... Not the Sedins "not producing". IF you actually took the time to read their statistics, you would see that they have consistently produced for this team, in and out of the play-offs. The only time they have ever been held off the board in the play-offs was 2011 vs Boston.

Like I said, it takes a team to win a cup. Look at LA's Conn Smythe winner this year, he's just your average 2nd/3rd liner. But I'll never convince you because some article somewhere said that the Sedins are soft, and severely declining yaddi yadda yadda.

Hank put up 50 points in 70 games despite playing injured and the teams power play being at 15%. If that isn't good enough for you go cheer for another team. News flash, Crosby was out in the 2nd round.

Just wow at the bolded part... Just... Wow.....They are paid per quarter and do miss out on money if they miss games. Hence why suspensions are actually bad for a player. Minimum wage in the NHL is $6707 per game I do believe.

No one really puts weight on Crawford... The reason the Bruins, the Hawks. and the Kings have been so dominant is the fact that all 4 of their lines are playable. They are solid down the whole team.

The Canucks have a great 1st line, a weak 2nd, a good 3rd, and no 4th. That is the difference... Not the Sedins "not producing". IF you actually took the time to read their statistics, you would see that they have consistently produced for this team, in and out of the play-offs. The only time they have ever been held off the board in the play-offs was 2011 vs Boston.

Like I said, it takes a team to win a cup. Look at LA's Conn Smythe winner this year, he's just your average 2nd/3rd liner. But I'll never convince you because some article somewhere said that the Sedins are soft, and severely declining yaddi yadda yadda.

Hank put up 50 points in 70 games despite playing injured and the teams power play being at 15%. If that isn't good enough for you go cheer for another team. News flash, Crosby was out in the 2nd round.

As well as last year's disaster of a season.
Bozak played only 58 games and only had 1 point less than Henrik.
Are you saying Bozak is just as good as Henrik and better than Daniel?
Like I said, I hope they prove that they are worth $7 million each.
Look at it from an owners point of view.
Owners make money when the stands are full and long playoff runs.
Teams are "equal" in how much they can spend on salaries.
Canucks paid out $61,493,000 last season - no more record sellouts and missed the playoffs.
Kings paid out $66,360,000.
Rangers $64,752,000
Which owner is the happiest?
Well, the Canucks only got 83 points.
So did Carolina @ $60,675,000.
We are currently sitting @ $66,849,444 for the upcoming season (Kings @ $66,791,894).
Anything less than 70 points each means they were overpaid.
They are our top 2 paid players and are paid to score points and be difference makers.
91 players finished ahed of Henrik, I bet Henrik is getting paid more than a few of those.
Also, it's not just about points for every players, obviously I wouldn't expect a defensman to get 70 points for $7 million - but I would expect him to be a plus and not a negative in the plus/minus rating.
Like I said, perspective and I really hope they have stellar seasons.

A lot of them... I can't pick one. I say this every year but the anticipation of the season is killing me. Can't wait to see the product on the ice.

I can't wait to see the following guys in hopes they'll rebound

Edler Twins and the dragon slayer Ethan hunt aka Tom Cruise aka Alexandre the great aka do the impossible.

Also Miller. Super stoked to have a former vezina winner

For me it's at least half the team and a handful of kids in Utica. Sedins, vrbata, burr, kass, vey, Bonino, Edler just to name a few.

Many of guys are poised to have a bounce back year. Should be a fun year, regardless of making the playoffs or not. For the record I believe we will make the playoffs.

Archived