The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck do you have your eye on next year?

Angry Goose

Bieksa - tough guy will see how he lines up with tougher team mates

Hamuis - not his best year last year but are clear #1 dman

Richardson - les see how mutch more productive he will be with a better coach. Remember this guy one a cup

Matthias - still lots a potential could be a make and brake year

Bieksa - tough guy will see how he lines up with tougher team mates

Hamuis - not his best year last year but are clear #1 dman

Richardson - les see how mutch more productive he will be with a better coach. Remember this guy one a cup

Matthias - still lots a potential could be a make and brake year

Matthias could be a incredibly solid bottom 6 centreman for us for years. He can put up points and has good defensive ability. If he improves his face-off skill, he could be a very good utility player.

Vrbata. Specifically I want to see how well he plays with the Sedins. If he can help the first line click, then we will have an exciting team to watch.

Also, we really need to bring one of our young guns into the NHL so they can continue their development. I don't know who it will be, but we should have one or two rookies worth keeping an eye on.

Vrbata. Specifically I want to see how well he plays with the Sedins. If he can help the first line click, then we will have an exciting team to watch.

Also, we really need to bring one of our young guns into the NHL so they can continue their development. I don't know who it will be, but we should have one or two rookies worth keeping an eye on.

I see Jensen or Shinkaruk making the team next season. The team needs some young blood to inject some life into the line-up.

Kassian.

His play near the end of last season really started to show a glimpse of what he could be. If the new coaching staff can help him be more consistent, and if he can earn some more powerplay time, it could be a good year for him.

Kassian

Perhaps the player with the most potential on this team. He was one of the very few who finished the year well. Kassian also put up 14 goals (13 at even-strength*) despite the fact that he was often used on the third line with limited powerplay time. It also makes sense to slot him into the second line RW spot. Jensen is certainly not ahead of him, and slotting Burrows on the second line LW allows Higgins to rejoin Hansen on the third line where he is most effective.

EDIT (Ignore if you don't care for advanced stats): I totally forgot to mention that Kassian has a real solid shooting percentage of 13%* in his career. Given his role so far in his career, he doesn't have nearly as many shots as other scorers to know if it's "legit" but it has been consistent since the lockout season.

2011-12= 4 goals on 54 shots for a Sh% of 7.4%.

2012-13 = 7 goals on 49 shots for a Sh% of 14.3%.

2013-14= 14 goals on 91 shots for a Sh% of 15.4%.

TOTAL = 25 goals on 194 shots for a career Sh% of 13%*.

If Kassian were to take as many shots as Higgins this past year (216) and maintained the Sh% (13%), he'd score 28 goals. I'm real excited to see how his goal-scoring improves if/when he gets regular second line and powerplay minutes.

*Technically it's 12.9%...

Source - http://www.extraskater.com/player/384/zack-kassian

Easy one, Kassian. Time to put up or shut up. No more excuses. Kass started last year like he didn't even care about hockey but he impressed me by losing some weight, taking power skating lessons, basically showing that he was committed to the Canucks. Add Torts to the mix, and the season was lost. But now we have Trev and JB at the controls with a rookie coach who works well with young players. I was harsh on Kassian in the past but even when critisizing his skills, I said he had 20 goal potential and could be a dominate 3rd line power foward. If he reaches that this year, I'll be happy. If he surpasses my expectations, I'll be very happy.

I have my eye on the second line.

Burrows Bonino and Kassian.

All for different reasons - Burrows (assuming he won't command the top line role, which I'm not necessarily prepared to assume - but for now, I'll concede that he makes sense on the second line if not because he may be more adaptable/able to play both wings). I want to see that he can regain himself (I have little doubt), Bonino to prove that he is as good as perceived/as his production last year indicated (from what I've seen of him, I have little doubt), and Kassian to see how quickly he continues to develop (and with a good chance of earning a step up the roster, I have little doubt that he could have an outstanding season, particularly if he gets to play with a pair of players as crafty as Burrows and Bonino).

Of course, I am primed to see what Vey, Sbisa, Edler, Vrbata, Horvat, Matthias, Jensen, Lack/Miller/Markstrom, Dorsett.... do, but the second line as a composite is probably the most anticipated thing to me.

That was the most encouraging thing that emerged from his game, and it was really noticeable towards the end of the season.

I remember watching him make passes and thinking he looked a LOT like Bertuzzi dishing pucks to Nazzy.

There's also no reason he can't be a power forward and be a great playmaker....

Kassian. Fingers crossed for a breakout season like his idol TBertuzzi. Ironically if one compares the stats of a young Bertuzzi vs Kassian in their NHL careers, there numbers are quite similar. Todd had his breakout season at the age of 25 when he popped 25 goals and 50 points. Kass will be 24 yrs this season and a year behind Todd.. but I think he's a lock for 20+ this season.

I look at this question from two perspectives: 1. our success next season, and 2. our success in the following 5-10 years.

For the upcoming season...

The Sedins: It's no secret that a large reason for last seasons woes were the twins inability to be effective under Torts's style of play. I also believe, like a lot of others on CDC, that they are still two of the top ten or so players in the league. As it has been for 5 years, our regular season success is based on how Hank and Dank perform. I will be watching them to see how a new line mate and coach will hopefully bring back their elite-level point production. I'm hoping for them to be in the 70-80 point range at the end of the season.

Ryan Miller: This is who I view as the greatest x-factor for the Canucks next year. The Sedins will definitely be who the team will look to for answers on the ice, but we all know that goaltending is what makes a mediocre team a good team, or a good team a great team. With his disappointing stay in St. louis, I'm hoping he will have more success here with lower expectations for the team. Hopefully us vicious fans won't get to him, because he is very much like Luongo in the way that there's a huge mental game for him to combat. If he can back to how he was playing back in his prime, I think we can make the playoffs. (and maybe even win a few games when we get there!)

Now for the future...

Zack Kassian: It seems like we are all in agreement that this next season will determine what kind of career player Zack will become. Is he a career fourth liner payed to bring physicality and a little offensive skill, or is he a big, fast, second line power forward who will put up 20 to 30 goals and can get the fans on their feet. I would love to believe the latter is true, but his inconsistency is what scares me.

Linden Vey: I haven't been able to see him play too much, but the hype is there. Lets hope he is that right handed thurd line centre that we so badly need. Unless Bo has an amazing camp, that is Lindens spot to lose. I am aching to see how he will perform with his fresh start here.

That's all I got!

I will be watching Jannik Hansen

I think he will either be traded, bounce back from a bad year, or fall off the map completely and be waived or something.

Whatever happens I think Hansen will have an interesting story this year.

i want to see mattias in a top 6 role, most likely on the wing, he has all the tools to put up solid points and have a break out year.

pretty much excited to see everyone playing an up tempo, puck possession attack style

i would also like to see matthias in a top 6 roll.

he is a potential top six player that was stuck behind younger guys needing top six min in florida to develop

i would like to see Matthias, Bonino, Kassian or if he proves to be a top 6 Center Vey.

Matthias, Vey, Kassian

Matthias and Kassian could be great together and considering they are both pretty fast, have good hands not to forget the size of these two both over 6'3 and around 220lbs Kassian more known for his fighting but matthias has shown in the past he will esp in defense of a teammate . if both show they can put up points and not be a liability they could be a real pain in the butt match up for other teams. Considering the rep that Kassian has for being a little reckless with his hits there could be a lot of open ice for who ever is at center.

but they both need to prove they can be consistent in a top 6 roll but i like that they both have that potential even though many on CDC think Matthias and Kassian are both 4th liners.?

Zack Kassian: It seems like we are all in agreement that this next season will determine what kind of career player Zack will become. Is he a career fourth liner payed to bring physicality and a little offensive skill, or is he a big, fast, second line power forward who will put up 20 to 30 goals and can get the fans on their feet. I would love to believe the latter is true, but his inconsistency is

That's all I got!

Since Kassian already puts up good numbers for a 3rd liner pretty safe he isn't a 4th liner.

Archived