The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck do you have your eye on next year?

Angry Goose

Fox, if he keeps scoring in camp and pre-season he may get a cup-of-coffee and work himself into the line up somewhere.

Fox pulls a rabbit out of his hat for 25 goal season (and 3 shootout winners )

Twins 50 goals

Bonino/Vrbata 20-25 each

Burr/Higgy/Vey/Kassian 15-20 each

4th line 5-10 each

Bonino, Burr, Kass, Vey, Edler, Tanev (Jensen if he makes the team).

Will we forget about Kes with Bones? Will Burr rebound? Can Kass hold down a 2nd line spot after his strong showing, or will Vey break out offensively? Can Edler find his form, and will Tanev be the solution with Edler?

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that Dane Fox may end up banger-buddies with Derek Dorsett on our 4th line.

He got some attention because he was 2nd in OHL scoring last year (1st in goals) but from what I've been reading, this kid has an attitude and likes to mix it up.

He's not huge at 6'1" 190 but not small either. With his hands and a nose for the net, it could be the beginning of the bottom 9 transformation we've needed here for....ever....

Benning said he wanted to roll 4 lines and he's right - the more effectively you can do that, the better your odds of winning are. So it makes sense that we're going to see the plugs pushed out over time, with guys who can mix it up AND score. (hello Hansen etc)

just a thought.

Bonino.

Our success is all gonna come down to how well Bonino does in that 2C role.

I think people are grossly underestimating this guy.

He was the 3rd leading scorer on the best team in the NHL last year, (ok Boston won the Presidents Trophy, but only by 1 point) and he did that playing with a revolving door of wingers, courtesy of coach Boudreau.

Plus, he is a REAL centerman, unlike Kesler who was a puck hog.

When he hits the ice in October, fans are going to be bringing gift baskets to God Benning for what he hath provided them.

Jensen. He had flashes of great play last year. If he and the Sedins' find chemistry I think it's going to be a exciting line to watch.

Benning lured Vrbata here by saying he was going to play with the Sedins, then paid him $10 Million dollars to do it.

Even then, Vrbata STILL had to think about it..... before finally agreeing to come here.

Jensen will not be playing with the Sedins this year, you can take that to the bank.

The entire team, management and all. I have a feeling this will be a huge step forward for the team.

Gone is Gillis' indecision, lack of vision, and spiteful nature.

Gone is Tortorella's archaic and misguided approach to the game.

Gone is Kesler and Luongo's want to be somewhere else. Good luck gents!

The Canucks have a president who is an icon and one of the great leaders in Canucks history.

The Canucks have a general manager who has been a scout and master evaluator of prospects and a shrewd, knowledgeable, and respected man around the league.

The Canucks have a coach who is a consummate professional and true hockey man.

The team is still lead by a great and endurable leader in Henrik Sedin, as well as Kevin Bieksa.

Hamhuis, Edler, Sbisa should come in with big seasons.

The team has a huge amount of youth being given a truly legitimate chance to make the roster this year.

It has excellent additions in veterans like Ryan Miller and Radim Vrbata who possess a huge amount of natural skill and ability.

This team is in the best shape it's been in since 2010.

i think the vets will bounce back... what this team needs is what Jensen showed last year. for that reason i am keeping my eye on jensen. if he pans out and Virtanen comes as advertised (down the road of course) we will be well off.

The team would have difficulty repeating last years nightmare on elm street under-performance if they tried, so a rebound is predictable.

A new coach with a new group will need time to develop chemistry, but the chance for a decent start is far better now with experienced goaltending in place. Daniel Sedin, Vrbata, Bonino and Edler are likely the key players by position that will impact team performance the most after Miller.

These guys need to up their game and I expect they will, so I really like our chances for improvement. We've got better balance on the ice, and starting the season with new blood in a positive and competitive atmosphere, without controversy and unhappy players in the room will help immensely.

Benning lured Vrbata here by saying he was going to play with the Sedins, then paid him $10 Million dollars to do it.

Even then, Vrbata STILL had to think about it..... before finally agreeing to come here.

Jensen will not be playing with the Sedins this year, you can take that to the bank.

I wouldn't say anything like it's fact. And if Vrbata doesn't pan out I wouldn't force that line up to stick together. You can take that to the bank.

Benning said (at the summit I think, or maybe the signing release?) that "he (Vrbata) will be given every opportunity to succeed with the Sedins, but ultimately it's the coach's decision where he plays"

Miller as our biggest free agent signing will garner a lot of the attention as he will be under the microscope every night he's on the ice. I just hope we give him a fair shake, as there are lots of moving parts this season that will dictate how he does regardless of his actual on ice performance.

New coach, new players, new system, new goalie coach, new d pairings, new everything really.

Don't throw the guy under the bus as soon as someone makes a mistake that ends up in our net.

Support this team!

Vrbata by a long shot.

He has been one of the most underatted and under appreciated forwards in the NHL the last 5 years. The Canucks have never been a dominant shoot-out team...and this is one of Vrbata's best features. The Hockey News recent edition ranked him 5th best in this right now. In 82 shoot-outs he has 35 goals (two behind the leaders Brad Boyes and Zach Parise), converts 42.7% of his shots and has 11 game deciding goals (not to mention the goals he scored that kept his teams in it and were won by another player as a result).

He has never played with players as good as the Sedins but still gets his 25-30goals regularly, is a good all round player with excellent hockey sense. In my mind he was a better signing than Iginla (whom the Canucks tried for first) and should help improve the standings of our team by five pts just by being there, and the ripple affect in the line-up should also add at least another five pts. If the Sedins bounce back Vancouver could easily get back into the 100 plus pt area.

My eye(s) are definitely on him and I don't think he is going to fly under the radar for much longer. The recent list of top 200 fantasy players on NHL .com also gives him no love, with loads of less productive players ahead of him, that is soon to change.

Archived