The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck do you have your eye on next year?

Angry Goose

I'm gonna keep my eye on this guy and his shenanigans. <_<

finn.jpg

Too soon, but I realize you meant Fin not Cory Monteith.

As far as the topic, it doesn't have to be just the biggest bounceback (like with the group of the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Hansen, etc.) but it could also be watching the young players (if any of the prospects make it like Horvat or Corrado, but also Jensen, Kassian, Vey or even Matthias, Bonino and Sbisa) or the newly added players (Vey, Bonino and Sbisa again but also Vrbata, Miller and Dorsett).

Myself, I'll have a close eye on any prospects that make it, as well as Jensen, Kassian, Vey, Bonino and Sbisa.

Kassian, I was very happy to see him embrace the playmaking skills I knew he had last season. Turning him into a powerforward was the worst idea ever, he needs to be molded into Thornton-lite.

That was the most encouraging thing that emerged from his game, and it was really noticeable towards the end of the season.

I remember watching him make passes and thinking he looked a LOT like Bertuzzi dishing pucks to Nazzy.

There's also no reason he can't be a power forward and be a great playmaker....

Another guy that I'm curious about is Shinkaruk. If not for the acquisitions of Dalpe and Welsch last year, he would have made the team.

Gillis et al went for experience over youth at that point and Shink went back to junior.

He'll be 20 years old in October, and we now have a group that is saying if a guy is good enough, he'll make the team regardless of age - and unlike other years, I think this time they're being honest.

This team NEEDS a player or two who have that top end creativity and goal scoring ability.... Shink and Jensen definitely have that. Hoping one of them makes it, and with an impact.

Bonino. I am biggest Bonino doubter on this board, and I want to see if this guy is the pile of garbage masquerading as a 2nd line centre that I think he is, or can he handle playing in a pressure market, on a team where he will be relied on to put up the numbers he did last year.

that's alright...we all know, that if he proves you wrong you'll come on and give him his due...good man

Vey, Edler, Kassian, Dank, Vrbata, Sbisa, Bonino.

This. Though fully I expect Danny, Edler and Burr to bounce back so I'm a bit more interested in the other guys on that list. They've got the potential to surprise given where they are in their development. And I'm eager to see if Vrbata hits 30 goals again next to a great playmaker, which he's lacked since Heatley.

There can't be just one.

Burrows and the Twins, bounce back.

Vey, Bonino, impact?

Jensen, Kassian, continued development at NHL level.

If the above perform well we will have a decent year.

Yup.

It's crazy to think we were just 4/5 wins out of a playoff spot last year.

Now that's still a lot of ground to make up for sure, but that was in a season where EVERYONE was terrible.

Imagine if Sedins/Burrows didn't go on that ~20 game scoreless streak. We could've snuck in a couple more wins if they just put up average numbers instead of zero. Morale would've been higher going into the final stretch and may have won a couple more down the road knowing we're still in it.

All of a sudden, just a couple players having bounce back years seems like it'd make us a decent team.

Throw in a couple of our unknowns contributing and things are looking allllllright.

Linden Vey if you can only name one. I'm a bit excited about having him here and have kinda high hopes for him to break through and be a big part of our future. Daniel Sedin, Nick Jensen and Zack Kassian are others that I really want to se making in a positive splash. I can hardly wait for the season to get under way again.

I'm going to be looking at a few players in particular because they're primed for break-out seasons:

Kassian - had 14 goals and some big games last year all over the lineup, I can see him stealing the top line wing position from Vbrata and scoring 25-30 goals if he's lucky.

Tanev - another player on a bridge contract, he scored 6 last season and could play well to earn a bigger contract

Vey - over a point per game in the AHL and had 5 points in 12 games with the Kings, he's ready to breakout

Jensen - exploded into the NHL quickly, he's another who could be primed for a 20 goal breakout season if he's lucky

Sbisa - another young player ready to breakout, might get more minutes and could be great with Weber chemistry-wise

Miller - probably needed a change of scenery and could be absolutely horrible, or could be a second coming of the 2007 Luongo we saw once

Actually, I think some of the absolute best plays he made last season were a result of him playing like a power forward. A couple of times he literally threw checkers off him and managed to make some mighty fine plays. Playmaking power forward?

I don't attribute that to playing like a powerforward, he's just a problem to deal with because of how big he is. Similar to Byfuglien in that sense. Thornton also has the ability to power through people simply due to his sheer size advantage. When I think of powerforward-esque players I think of Booth and Kane, who have one objective on their mind and that's getting the puck to the net. I've noticed Kassian prefers to be on the outside looking in and along the boards is where he's at his best, creating opportunities for others. Oh well, I guess we'll just see!

EDIT: I could see how everything I just said describes a prototypical powerforward, but IMO Thornton isn't a powerforward and that's what I see Kassian as.

I want to see the Sedin's bounce back from Tortorella's regime. If this team isn't Cup contender material for some years, like a lot of people are projecting, I want to see the Sedin's be able to carry their weight, and their C and A until the kids are ready.

And Eddie. Always have an eye on Eddie, he's a cool guy.

Kassian, I was very happy to see him embrace the playmaking skills I knew he had last season. Turning him into a powerforward was the worst idea ever, he needs to be molded into Thornton-lite.

I think a mix of the two is possible. I actually think he has better hands down low than Jumbo Joe, and is a much, much better skater.

He's a "real" hockey player, who can do it all. If his hockey sense improves at the rate his skills have and as a result he gets some consistency in the game, he's going to be exceptional as a player. Guys who are good in all circumstances ARE the Andreychuks, Brind'Amours, etc. Not necessarily the most talented guy on the ice, but always a crucial role on the team and integral to winning.

As for who my eye is on this year, it's gotta be new Canuck Ryan Miller. If he's successful, the team will be as well. So much hinges on stellar goaltending in the west, and if he can provide what he's proven to be capable of in the past, this team will be dangerous, even if the scoring does have to be done by committee.

Honorable Mention to Radim Vrbata, same reasons as Miller, really. If he gels with the Sedins, look out. I had the opportunity to watch him in Phoenix a few times while on holiday down there and he's actually a bit better than his stats tell the tale. I noticed him rather frequently in a scoring position - he's one of these low-key guys who just seems to magically find open ice all the time, so if the Sedins can adjust slightly to find those gaps where he'll be. he'll be tapping in 35-40 this year. I know people will laugh at me for saying a figure like that, but he really does have quick hands. I watched a game in Phoenix last year vs Calgary and he took an off-wing slap pass (From left side of ice, he's a right shot), settled it down, shot and scored from the bottom of the right-hand hash marks, all before the goalie even knew he had the puck. It was quite a goal.

Edit: Actually found that goal!

Archived