The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck do you have your eye on next year?

Angry Goose

Burr. As usual. ;)

(can't wait for him to prove the naysayers wrong)

see, not creepy at all

Tanev, to see how he bounces back and how badly the Torts experiment scarred him.

Bieksa. As usual too. Because he never disappoints (me).

The Sedins. Because people have been hard on them since the sister days and I'll always be in their corner and have their backs.

The whole team. Last year was such a fiasco I'm eager to put it in the past and see the guys move forward.

Tough one, def Kassian for me because if he keeps improving we may have struck gold, but there are so many close seconds...

Anytime we get a new player to play with the Sedins there is high interest.... Will Vrbata light it up?

Vey... Edler... Burrows... The Sedins ... Who is Lucas Sbisa?..

Which Canuck do I have an eye on. Good question.

Thankfully my favourite player the last few years is still around, Burrows, and my other fave, Bieksa, is too. I will be watching both with a fanatic eye. Of the "funny" group from the last few years, I didn't like Kesler so much, nor luongo. There is a cocky and smarmy arrogance about both of those two, that I don't see so much in the other two. I'll give the nod to hamhuis too to include in this group. Maybe it's the circumstance, what with rypien, rip, and with burrows "slaying the dragon" that works in those twos favour, plus hammers humble interviews every time I see them, but for me, what makes a good team, a good run, and a championship roster, is the unequivicoble understanding of "I have your back". The brothers lead it so... Maybe not in the most "Canadian" of ways but they do.

I still have an eye on those guys to continue the lockerroom banter and leadership, I will watch for Dane fox and Bo Horvat to show their competitive chemistry together, instead of against, I look for some of the other unsungs, like Mackenzie, corrado, lain, to step up.

For me it's an attitude. I didn't beleive in Cody, especially after Hansen throw down in the tape throwing incident. I never really got Kesler, respected, but didn't get, especially in the face of the magazine covers.

Truthfully, which Canuck do I have an eye on this year? Linden, Benning, and Desjardins. The leadership group will determine how this group develops and performs.....

They are all under the gun now.

No trades mean squat under Benning.

They know it is performance time and I am leaning towards being pleasantly surprised.

Benning will obviously ask a player to waive his ntc. That doesn't mean the player has to or will though.

There are a lot of question marks for me. Perhaps the biggest two are Edler and Burrows.

I'm confident Burrows will return to form - albeit at a reduced role on the 2nd line. Edler, I'm still questioning. He's proven his ability - he just needs his head in the game.

Others I'm watching: Kassian to break out, and interested to see if Vey is actually any good, and to see if Sbisa was just a filler piece in the trade or actually a worthwhile blueliner.

To a lesser degree, I'm curious to see how our top line does. Do the twins gel with Vrbata? We all know Vrbata is a solid scorer, but will this be a breakout year for him considering who he's now playing with? I'm also curious to see if the twins are on a decline, or if it was just an off year.

There is a few for me. One would be Vey. Probably because I played a season with him back in minor hockey, but I really am curious to see what kind of role that kassian will play. If Horvat makes it, he would be my other choice.

I think Kassian would be excellent at Centre ....he has the size and play making ability...he would feed his wingers which is something Kesler never did...who agrees?

Being a center is a lot more than passing...

A center generally has the most defensive responsibility on a line while also being the leader in the play. They are the ones going to the front of the net while attacking(that he can do) and defending the center of the ice while under pressure (Where the goal scoring passes go). While I agree Kassian has that play making potential in him, I don't think he has the face off skills nor the defensive upside to be a center.

For me it is Danny boy, he will be another summer further from his concussion. I hope the Sedin's prove me wrong in my belief that they aren't playoff performers. I don't believe as long as they are being relied on to lead the team, we will ever have a chance at "hoisting the cup" or going any deeper than 1st round in the playoffs.

Again, I hope Danny and Hank for that matter have great years. I will be keeping a very watchful eye on the team's largest investments (salary wise).

Kassian and Edler. I'm going to be watching those 2 players incredibly closely. They are the x-factors for how our team plays next season. If Kassian pans out and becomes the power forward that he was projected to be, he could provide A LOT for the team that we have been missing for the last 6 or 7 years. Kassian hasn't hit the ceiling of his potential yet, and he has a lot of room to grow. If he reaches that potential, he could be a 30+ goal scorer. But I feel that he needs the proper centerman to set him up.

Edler is on my radar because he's always been projected to be our "#1 defenceman", but we've only seen flashes of it so far. After an incredibly woeful season, I'm confident that he bounce back stronger than before. He will probably never challenge for the Norris trophy but like Kassian, he has not hit his full potential yet. Torterella never gave him an actual chance to play and showcase his ability.I'm sure Desjardins will better utilize Edler to his strengths, which is his offensive prowess.

However, if they do not play to their full ability, the team is going to be a lot weaker than expected. Kassian is our only true 2nd line winger and he has to play like a 2nd line winger. We do not have the depth on the wings for Kassian to play less than that.

Like Kassian, Edler is our only hope for an offensive defenceman. If he doesn't score, we won't have the scoring from our defense to be able to keep up with the other teams in our division.

Archived