The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

I was watching the Hawks game tonight. Calgary played well...a few lapses but they are a good team.

Luckily they are young team, and we hope they get demoralized and continue to lose. Much like Colorado has lost terribly this year after last year's playoff blow up against Minnesota. I don't think the flames are for real, and I believe this is a sign of their losing ways.

Luckily they are young team, and we hope they get demoralized and continue to lose. Much like Colorado has lost terribly this year after last year's playoff blow up against Minnesota. I don't think the flames are for real, and I believe this is a sign of their losing ways.

I don't think they are getting demoralized though, they are not losing in an atrocious manner, they battle hard every game, and every game they have lost could have gone either way and been a win. All very close games. But you are welcome to continue hating and refusing to believe that they may have actually re-structured their thinking and have started to lay down the foundation for a very successful organization.

6 months?

He was made Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations on June 11, 2012.

He's been the General Manager since April 15, 2013.

And that's after coaching the team for 9 years.

MacT's fingerprints are all over this mess, just like KLowe's.

Sorry i should have qualified that with that being his tenure as GM, 6 ish months. He's revamped the entire roster and it's still fallen flat. he made a lot of changes except the important ones and he cannot fire Kevin Lowe

I was listening to a local Edmonton radio station this afternoon, CHED960 I believe.

There are only 2 players on the roster that MacT is not responsible for acquiring.

That said, I completely agree with you about KLowe.

MacT even let it slip once hat he had to run potential trades by KLowe.

I'm all for cleaning house completely from KLowe down through Howson, MacT, & the rest of the suits, pro & amateur scouts, and the coaches.

Hopefully, Nicholson will be allowed by Katz to do so.

I was listening to a local Edmonton radio station this afternoon, CHED960 I believe.

There are only 2 players on the roster that MacT is not responsible for acquiring.

I'm all for cleaning house completely from KLowe down through Howson, MacT, & the rest of the suits, pro & amateur scouts, and the coaches.

I agree. Confusion at the top trickles down. Strong leadership, ownership and so on. The product on the ice, as dismal as it is has top be left alone.

Past their first round picks what's

coming up? The one thing that's stayed a constant are the people in charge.

When you hear Jim Benning or Trevor Linden speak you know they have strong direction and a solid plan. They openly share their plan, strategy and how they're going to achieve their goals.

I don't recall any of that coming from Edmonton brass. Getting better and making the play offs isn't a real plan. It's wishful thinking.

Wasn't MacT just fired from Edmonton? Now he's coach again?

I'm not surprised Lowe gets a say in all of the trades. I firmly believe Lowe's the source of their problems. Period. Only when they get rid of Lowe will Edmonton have a fresh start with management.

Since Dallas Eakins' firing and all the dysfunction in Edmonton, something has occurred to me...

All the cockiness that surrounded the Oilers during their 80's juggernaut has finally caught up to the franchise.

Does this once great club even have an ambassador, considering all those great players?? Where is Gretzky? If he's not losing money in Arizona(don't get me started on his coaching tenure), he's basking in his California life$yle. Messier?? Collecting Rogers cable $pokesperson pay cheque$ and bleeding Rangers colours while we Canucks fans have to see him constantly during Canucks games. Anderson?? Coffey?? Kurri?? How about Glenn Sather?? In his MSG gm's luxury suite, admiring his Edmonton-era reputation. All he ever did was smirk behind the bench.

When the legendary Jean Beliveau left us earlier this month, it was a great reminder of the class and integrity he gave the Montreal Canadiens and the other great Habs that followed in his footsteps. I "hated" the Habs for their constant success but always respected the organization's class.

Even our still-Cupless Canucks, with all the different logos and uniforms, have something the Oilers have totally lacked - classy ambassadors - former players and coaches who have given back to the club and community by remembering where they came from and being proud to call Vancouver their home and the Canucks their team...the late Pat Quinn, Stan Smyl, Thomas Gradin, and of course, President of Hockey Operations, Trevor Linden. The guy is highly intelligent, bleeds the Canucks brand and is quickly making the Canucks a first-class operation. Trevor and 'Steamer' may have lost in their only respective finals but all their hard work, intelligence, and classy character has carried over off the ice.

The same cannot be said about Kevin Lowe. What has he done as an Oilers executive other than flaunt his five Cup rings? If he gets fired, he will be remembered for his executive incompetence and not for being the Oilers' first-ever NHL draft pick and a steady defenseman. Craig McTavish was hired by his buddy Lowe to replace the far more capable and classy Steve Tambellini.

If I'm an Oilers fan, which I'm not, I would envy the Canadiens and the Canucks right now.

It's not like we're doing any better guys... Let's not talk smack when we're not exactly winning either.

We have an aged core that we are in the process of rebuilding. We replaced management to reflect the new direction. Through sharp trades and drafting we are making steady strides for the future all the while condending for a playoff spot

The Oilers tanked for years getting the lions share of top five picks and stellar talent and they still suck to high heaven.

No, our win/loss record lately doesn't disavow us the right to call that org a joke. Oilers deserve what they get.

We can re-visit it at the end of the season and compare to your favorite team ;) or we could even compare both of their starts and current stats?

Why re-visit it later when it's happening right now? Cgy had by far the most unsustainable start in the league. Aaaand now the collapse has started. To what should be the surprise of nobody.

fyi. I'm definitely not worried about a Cgy fan's assessment on the Canucks. There's nothing that can be said that isn't already well-known here.

We have an aged core that we are in the process of rebuilding. We replaced management to reflect the new direction. Through sharp trades and drafting we are making steady strides for the future all the while condending for a playoff spot

The Oilers tanked for years getting the lions share of top five picks and stellar talent and they still suck to high heaven.

No, our win/loss record lately doesn't disavow us the right to call that org a joke. Oilers deserve what they get.

... did you even follow the posts leading mine?

I was referring to those making fun of Calgary's losing streak. EDM lost 16 of last 17 and sit at the bottom of the league - of course I'm not talking about them...

calgarypuck has a "vancouver is no good" thread which is cute considering that they havnt been to the playoffs in 6 years. So its nice to see them fall from grace, they were on that high horse for a while and was starting to get cocky thinking they were actually a good team.

Archived