The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Yahoo! Sports Article] How long before 'Torts' back behind NHL bench?

So he took naps at work and wouldn't attend practice (which the players said they needed more of)? Sounds like not only was he wrong, he was lazy. No one likes the lazy boss who barks out orders at everyone and doesn't even put in the work themselves. I feel sorry for the players.

People that believe in themselves and their ideas no matter what they say are needed, but only if they're actually right.

When the players asks for more practice, you know there`s a problem. Don`t mean to beat a dead horse but the more that comes out, the more you feel for Gillis in this regard. That last interview that Gillis gave on 1040 am before he got fired (my way or the highway speech) said a lot about his frustration with the culture that Torts created.

I really don't see any NHL teams taking a chance on him again as a head coach. He was bad news in the first place in NY, and got fired despite getting to the second round (more playoff victories that one year than the Canucks had post-2011 with AV).

And...

- unwillingness to work with the farm team coaches

- doesn't feel like practice is important

- could fly off the handles at any moment

- there are better coaches in the AHL/juniors/assistant coaches, and other out-of-work NHL-experienced coaches (Bylsma, Oates)

This last year in Vancouver just proved what all GMs (not named Mike Gillis) already knew.

I really don't see any NHL teams taking a chance on him again as a head coach. He was bad news in the first place in NY, and got fired despite getting to the second round (more playoff victories that one year than the Canucks had post-2011 with AV).

And...

- unwillingness to work with the farm team coaches

- doesn't feel like practice is important

- could fly off the handles at any moment

- there are better coaches in the AHL/juniors/assistant coaches, and other out-of-work NHL-experienced coaches (Bylsma, Oates)

This last year in Vancouver just proved what all GMs (not named Mike Gillis) already knew.

I really doubt Gillis had much say in the Torts hire. Two polar-opposite personalities. Methodological versus gut-feeling. Hire reeked of the Aquilinis and now more-so.

I'm not much of a fan of his, but you seriously should get over yourselves. You know nothing about coaching an NHL team. You are as qualified to comment on his coaching success as you are to give Buzz Aldrin pointers on how to be an astronaut. None of you, and I mean not a single one of you, will ever amount to half of what John Tortorella has done with his life.

- The first U.S. born coach to reach 400 career wins
- The third American-born coach to win the Stanley cup (in the third season with Tampa Bay - the first two seasons that he coached them, they sucked donkey)
- 3 time Jack Adams nominee
- 2004 Jack Adams Award winner

- US Olympic Assistant Coach, silver medalist

Not to mention the charitable works.

Three season with Tampa then, poof, cup. Yes, the team failed under his tenure. It is almost certain they would have failed in much the same way without him. Just as it is almost certain they would have eventually improved with the firing of MG, as the much needed roster changes that had been ignored up to that point would have been addressed by a proper GM.

I'm not much of a fan of his, but you seriously should get over yourselves. You know nothing about coaching an NHL team. You are as qualified to comment on his coaching success as you are to give Buzz Aldrin pointers on how to be an astronaut. None of you, and I mean not a single one of you, will ever amount to half of what John Tortorella has done with his life.

- The first U.S. born coach to reach 400 career wins

- The third American-born coach to win the Stanley cup (in the third season with Tampa Bay - the first two seasons that he coached them, they sucked donkey)

- 3 time Jack Adams nominee

- 2004 Jack Adams Award winner

- US Olympic Assistant Coach, silver medalist

Not to mention the charitable works.

Three season with Tampa then, poof, cup. Yes, the team failed under his tenure. It is almost certain they would have failed in much the same way without him. Just as it is almost certain they would have eventually improved with the firing of MG, as the much needed roster changes that had been ignored up to that point would have been addressed by a proper GM.

A good coach wouldn't have played the *hit out of his top 6, (leading to numerous injuries), would have attended practices, would have done more research on the Western Conference, and would have had a dialog with his minor league coach at least once during the season. Oh and one more thing, if he was serious about being here for the long term, he might have attended the young stars tourney, just you know, to have a look see at some of the kids in the system. He lost this team when he went rogue.

Was never high on Torts, especially after he was let go from New York and reports from players came out. It doesn't happen too often when a coach gets fired that players begin to vocalize their displeasure towards them, usually because there is likelihood they'll cross paths in the future; so there is no sense in burning bridges.

If this report is true, I do find some of it quite puzzling. I mean, I won't pretend to know what it means to coach in a professional organization, so the fact that he didn't discuss players in Utica isn't so much an issue for me, because he delegated that to other coaching staff. If he did that in previous organizations, then Gillis and Co. would have known about this ahead of time and that Torts places a great deal of trust in his colleagues. Delegating isn't a bad thing, if done right.

I do find the practice thing quite odd, though. Not sure if this was because he hadn't found a place in Vancouver yet; which shouldn't be an excuse because he had time and money to do so.

Torts' bluntness never bothered me, but his inability to keep calm and control himself emotionally on a consistent basis was something that I never liked. Behavior/coaching like this was commonplace in the 70s, but not now. To me, if I were playing for any coach (professional or otherwise) and he stormed off during the intermission to have a heated confrontation in front of the other players dressing room, I would have just had a puzzled look on my face, commenting to my teammates "Is this guy for real?" His emotional outbursts don't really help anything; at least, from what we can see.

Anyway, long story short, teams would be better off avoiding Torts. He had a long, successful coaching career and made a lot of money. At this point, however, there are better, smarter, and younger coaches coming up that teams should look at.

@ Vansicle,

Yes we all know that Tortorella accomplished some great things, number one being the Stanley Cup. However, maybe you should realize that these things are now in the past, like at least a decade ago. Also, you have zero idea of what any poster here has accomplished in their lives, so making a statement like you did is just plain ignorant.

Since New York, Torts has been on a clear trajectory downhill. His arrogance and archaic mindset are his undoing. He failed miserably in Vancouver. Sure the team wasn't in the best shape, what with distractions like Luongo and cancers like Kesler present, but Torts ping ponged back and forth from being either an embarrassment to the team (trying to kill Hartley, not starting Luongo at the Heritage Classic) to an absentee landlord (disappearing to Point Roberts, cutting the practice schedule in half).

Yes Gillis was the architect of the demise and deserves the lions share of the blame, both for being unable to sustain a contending team to hiring Tortorella, but if they had to build a bed into the wall of his office, it seems crystal clear that Tortorella was far more interested in taking the money than in doing his job.

I can't see any self respecting team even considering hiring Tortorella. The guy is poison, as is that wasted zygote Feaster.

I wasn't the biggest Torts fan when he was announced, and not sold on him during the season either. But I was still actually okay with giving him another go at it late in the season. What on earth made me think that!?

The story about him not being present at practice and players being unhappy with the amount of practices during the season really pisses me off.

I thought that comment that Benning made about the bed was a joke! I didn't realize there was actually a bed in the coach's office!

Did Torts not think to mention it during the interview process that he'd be absent from practices? And what exactly was his issue with living in Vancouver? Is he THAT anti-Canadian? And if so, why did he take the job?

After all the stuff that Gary Mason from The Globe and Mail divulged about Torts after he was fired, and just given his overall reputation around the league, I don't know that any other GM would want to take the risk of wrecking a team's chemistry by bringing in a guy like him. In one season in Van, he managed to get suspended for 6 games, and brought an entire team to a grinding halt. Every player under-performed under Torts and the discord on the team was tangible. I don't know if that's the type of resume that'd get him hired anywhere else ever again. Might be an Iron Mike type of a situation - resurrect the career in Europe. If that does happen, I wonder if he'll communte ever day from the US ;)

I said when we hired him he'd either do fantastic, or would be a massive failure. The first two clues to me that something was wrong was when he didn't coach at the young stars tourney. That should have been a major red flag. Second, most teams that make a coaching change charge right out of the gate and improve. (Because players want to impress the new boss) And the team struggled.

I and others on CDC did wonder even what style Torts was playing? I couldn't make heads or tails of what kind of system he had in place. Because coming from AV's very structured environment, where you could see there was a strategy in place. (Sadly, I think we got predictable, and AV never improvised)

I think the surge in December was the players doing more than Torts. They just went back to what they did with AV, but that wasn't going to last long in Torts world. I was disappointed last year when none of the young guys cracked the lineup. In hindsight, thank God, because who knows what damage Torts would have done.

I know of no team sport coach that doesn't practice and make sure the players know the system. It might be a bad system, but the players know what to expect. Sounds like Torts was on cruise control. The legendary Vince Lombardi, started coaching basketball. He didn't know anything about basketball. So he picked up some books on it. Read them, mastered them. Then drilled his players over and over learning the fundamentals, until it was instinct. His team was successful.

He had more experience in football but he applied the same commitment in football. He'd hold up a football and say "This is a football, and this is the last time you're going to see this for the next two weeks". He would then do two weeks of fitness, and blocking, and tackling until late in the evening. He wanted the players to understand the fundamentals.

A coach who the players are griping about not getting enough practice? That's reason alone he'll never get an NHL gig unless a team is totally desperate.

Archived