The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vey can be a first line center

Rex425

I think the McCann pick will really pan out. He has huge upside.

Maybe we don't have a 1st line centre, and maybe we do, but we are for sure set down the middle for the rest. Vey, if not a centre, will make a good quality winger.

I'll take depth and character over top heavy any day of the week. If we're building this is a good start.

Pieces, assets, options. That's the goal.

i think mccann is going to be a good player. don't know if he's going to be a first line centre. but he'll be a very good player.

i see mccann being a 2nd/3rd line centre. maybe, a 1st liner, if everything goes according to developmental plan. but that's a big IF.

i see vey as a good piece to the roster. he's not a 'depth' guy. i think he can bring a lot more than a 'depth player' can to the table. and i see him playing on the wing, if he's going to stick with the organization long term. let's not annoint this guy as a first line guy. he's 22, and he hasn't played an entire NHL season just yet. let's see if he even cracks the line up this season. if he goes down to the AHL, i will see that as a little bit of a disappointment. but he's still quite young.

i think that in the 2015 draft, even if the canucks do reasonably well this upcoming season, i still think that we'll get a pretty good player in the draft, which is a bonus, given that we are re-stocking, or re-tooling (whatever you want to use). more organizational depth in the prospect pool is never a bad thing. and considering that next year's draft is going to be a deep one. we're going to get a good player. i have full confidence in both TL and JB and WD to make good decisions for this team now, and for it's future. Canuck fans can rest assured.

personally. out of all our prospects. i do see the following living up to top six roles: virtanen, horvat, shinkurak, mccann. i see gaunce being the team's third line centre long term.

I am also not of the Vey for first line center currently. I think he will be a second line player at some point, and a good one at that.

It's hard to say where he will get to under Willie, Trev, and the other coaches, but I feel like his potential is that of a great second line winger, and a good second line center. If he can improve his speed, and keep working on his change of pace, he can keep d-men off of him a little longer to make those great plays. I'm really thinking he will be a Hodgson type player on the ice, but little bit less of a shot, and much better defensively.

He's a good prospect, but his comparables are Tyler Johnson, and Gustav Nyquist points wise in the AHL. He doesn't have Nyquists speed, so I don't see the 30 goals, but he could be our Tyler Johnson next year.

Tyler Johnson
Center
Born Jul 29 1990 -- Spokane, WA
Height 5.09 -- Weight 182 -- Shoots R

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007-08 Spokane Chiefs WHL 69 13 22 35 34 21 5 3 8 24
2008-09 Spokane Chiefs WHL 62 26 35 61 52 12 5 3 8 8
2009-10 Spokane Chiefs WHL 64 36 35 71 32 7 3 5 8 0
2010-11 Spokane Chiefs WHL 71 53 62 115 48 14 7 7 14 9
2011-12 Norfolk Admirals AHL 75 31 37 68 28 14 6 8 14 6
2012-13 Syracuse Crunch AHL 62 37 28 65 34 18 10 11 21 18
2012-13 T-Bay Lightning NHL 14 3 3 6 4 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 T-Bay Lightning NHL 82 24 26 50 26 4 1 1 2 0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NHL Totals 96 27 29 56 30 4 1 1 2 0

Linden Vey
Right Wing
Born Jul 17 1991 -- Wakaw, SASK
Height 6.00 -- Weight 189 -- Shoots R

Selected by Los Angeles Kings round 4 #96 overall 2009 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2007-08 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 48 8 9 17 21 5 0 1 1 2
2008-09 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 71 24 48 72 20 11 2 5 7 2
2009-10 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 72 24 51 75 34 12 2 6 8 8
2010-11 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 69 46 70 116 36 15 12 13 25 8
2011-12 Manchest Monarchs AHL 74 19 24 43 16 4 2 4 6 0
2012-13 Manchest Monarchs AHL 74 22 45 67 32 4 2 0 2 4
2013-14 Manchest Monarchs AHL 43 14 34 48 20 4 0 2 2 4
2013-14 Los Angeles Kings NHL 18 0 5 5 0 -- -- -- -- --
NHL Totals 18 0 5 5 0

Only time will tell, but it's possible

I think Vey projects well as a 2nd line centre or possibly a middle-six C/W. But I wouldn't count him out and he certainly has a chance to exceed expectations and become a legitimate first liner.

He's an average sized and average skating forward with high level vision and puck skills. He's still relatively young. He played behind a very deep group of C/W forwards on the Kings. And without displacing one of their top-six veterans or somehow outplaying Stoll (who is one of the league's best at the role he plays), Vey wasn't going to get much of an opportunity to scratch out a place for himself in Los Angeles (at least at a roster spot that really played to his strengths or allowed him to unleash his full potential).

So let's not measure his value based on his performance in limited action with the Kings, or read too much into their willingness to trade him (other than their not wanting to lose him for nothing via waivers).

And let's see what he can do in Vancouver, where we really have a need for a young RH centreman who can play a top-nine role. He's certainly not going to displace Hank, but if everything comes together for Vey, he might play well enough to push Bonino over to the wing and seize the 2C role.

Or he'll bounce around on various lines as a C/W until he sticks somewhere. And maybe he'll work his way up the lineup until he becomes a top-six fixture on this team.

Maybe he clicks with one or two of our brightest and best young forwards and he becomes the next Morrison on a 2016-17 version of the West Coast Express.

It's not out of the realm of possibility.

But for now, I just hope he's able to play a solid two-way game, chip-in some scoring, earn decent minutes, and provide a right-handed option for faceoffs. I feel quite optimistic that he can be that player for the 2014-15 Canucks. And really, anything more than that would be gravy.

As for the future, we'll see what happens. But my gut says he'll be a top-six level NHL forward in his prime. And I think he'll prove to be a very good acquisition (and well worth the price we paid--and better value than the player we would have otherwise drafted).

I think Vey projects well as a 2nd line centre or possibly a middle-six C/W. But I wouldn't count him out and he certainly has a chance to exceed expectations and become a legitimate first liner.

He's an average sized and average skating forward with high level vision and puck skills. He's still relatively young. He played behind a very deep group of C/W forwards on the Kings. And without displacing one of their top-six veterans or somehow outplaying Stoll (who is one of the league's best at the role he plays), Vey wasn't going to get much of an opportunity to scratch out a place for himself in Los Angeles (at least at a roster spot that really played to his strengths or allowed him to unleash his full potential).

So let's not measure his value based on his performance in limited action with the Kings, or read too much into their willingness to trade him (other than their not wanting to lose him for nothing via waivers).

And let's see what he can do in Vancouver, where we really have a need for a young RH centreman who can play a top-nine role. He's certainly not going to displace Hank, but if everything comes together for Vey, he might play well enough to push Bonino over to the wing and seize the 2C role.

Or he'll bounce around on various lines as a C/W until he sticks somewhere. And maybe he'll work his way up the lineup until he becomes a top-six fixture on this team.

Maybe he clicks with one or two of our brightest and best young forwards and he becomes the next Morrison on a 2016-17 version of the West Coast Express.

It's not out of the realm of possibility.

But for now, I just hope he's able to play a solid two-way game, chip-in some scoring, earn decent minutes, and provide a right-handed option for faceoffs. I feel quite optimistic that he can be that player for the 2014-15 Canucks. And really, anything more than that would be gravy.

As for the future, we'll see what happens. But my gut says he'll be a top-six level NHL forward in his prime. And I think he'll prove to be a very good acquisition (and well worth the price we paid--and better value than the player we would have otherwise drafted).

let's hope so. with the centre prospects that we have in the pipeline coming up: horvat, mccann, gaunce and now vey. looks very promising. i don't see any of those centres i've listed to be fourth line guys. and i really can't see any of them being first line centres either. i can see horvat being a second line centre. mccann possibly 2nd or 1st line (really doubt this...). gaunce as the team's third line guy. vey - most likely might be playing on the wing long term. either that, or one of the centres i've listed surpasses their expectations, and becomes that first line centre this team desperately needs in about 3-4 years (when hank retires, or when he begins his down swing in terms of play).

the future looks promising for this team. wasn't necessarily the case a couple of years ago.

That would be great, perhaps unlikely. But we have great depth on centers in our system at the moment. So I'm not that worried, anyways.

I do think we'll have a 2a, 2b and 2c center situation in a couple of years. All of them good enough to anchour the second line but no one who's really that ppg player. But that doesn't have to be that bad. If we had three centers producing 40-65 points.

100% prospect lineups are like, SO impossible.

Agreed, but Horvat, Shinkaruk, Vey, and Virtanen are pretty well shoe ins for the NHL... Also, why is bantsn always so negative...

ALL OUR PROSPECTS SUCK

McCann is trash, Jensen is trash, Vey is trash, trash I tell you, all trash.

You say that we don't have a surefire future 1C, and perhaps we don't, but if Horvat, McCann, and maybe Vey can be 45-60 point guys centering a couple of good wingers (Shinkaruk, Jensen, Virtanen, Kassian, etc.), Van could have 3 great lines when all these prospects are NHL regulars.

Shinkaruk - McCann - Kassian

Virtanen - Vey - Jensen

Gaunce - Horvat - _____

Archibald - Cassels - Kenins

With all those young forwards, you have to accept that in the coming years a percentage of them will either never pan out, or will be traded. The Canucks will soon be looking at needing to get more pieces to replace their aging D core.

I'd be extremely satisfied if he became a serviceable 2nd or 3rd liner.

We had a legitimate opportunity to add McKeown to our weak group of defensive prospects but we decided to trade it for a center when we had Horvat, Cassels, Gaunce, McCann. This probably means JB and WD saw something in this guy that could be very good.

He'll most likely start as a winger this season and I don't see him changing back to center any time soon

This is the first time in a long time we had a prospect that even had a minuscule chance at the Calder

Not saying he should have won it... but Lack ?

it annoys me so much. people post those, yet talk crap about the oilers.

I'm sorry, it's wrong to think what our line up will look like once Hamhuis, Bieksa, Sedins, etc retire...

Shinkaruk - McCann - Virtanen

Jensen - Horvat - Kassian (Can Jensen play LW? Can Kassian? Because I know he usually plays RW)

That's our top 6 if all our prospects pan out. In terms of prospects, we are ridiculously stacked down the middle IMO in terms of prospects. Gaunce, McCann, Horvat, (Labate?), Cassels, Lain, Fox. All these prospects are ones who I believe will play in the NHL, so I only included them. Next step: somehow trade up for next year and draft Kylington

Kylington - Tanev

Hutton - Corrado

If we somehow snatch up Kylington, our re-tool would be done. We can contend for the playoffs and we'd finally have a prospect pool which can become a serious contender down the road. I really want Kylington though...anyone know where he's projected to get drafted? Because this guy is going to be a number one D-Man IMO, which would have slated him above Ekblad in this draft, who many project to be a #2 and went first overall.

Vey as a 1C does seem a bit optimistic, but not impossible. We have 3 center prospects that may have that upside (Vey, Horvat, McCann) but are all quite credible at 2C. So the chances that one of them exceeds expectations are at least reasonable, even if the chances that that they fall short are probably higher. Still, there's nothing wrong with having 3 second-line centers: very much the Boston model, and the only way to make up for a lack of true top-drawer talent. This is what our D was like in 2010-1: no true #1 but 6 who qualified in the 2-3 range.

Archived