The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vey can be a first line center

Rex425

No matter how good his shot is, it won't matter if he can't get chances to use it to its full potential in the NHL.

Daniel Sedin has a really good shot, his goal total this year doesn't suggest he does though.

Given the fact that he has the best playmaker in the OHL beside him and almost everyone he faces is younger than him, at this age, he's nothing special. A 3rd liner who can add some goals is the most I really hope he can become, anything beyond that I don't see possible.

I for one think he definitely has 1st line potential...in Utica. Until a kid suits up and gets some games under his belt, all the speculation is just fancy BS. If junior player projections turn out to be even 50% accurate then that's pretty darn good...usually they're just spit-balling. I hope he becomes the next Pavel Bure for Vancouver...will it happen? The odds are stacked VERY much against it. It's great to be positive, but do us a favor...stick to predictions about unproven players on CDC only. Please don't talk to any knowledgeable fans of other teams...you'll just end up making Nuck fans look stupid. Use words like "I hope" or "I wish". The only guy in the Vancouver system who can legitimately be called a first line center is Hank...he's proven it. No speculation needed. Tell that to your Flamer and Coiler buddies...Hank's our #1C. Then ask which punkazz kid is theirs! HA!

I think theres enough talent combined with the fact that he trends positively with experience at the levels he's played at for him to be a good NHLer. Other that that its pure speculation to how he'll turn out, as there is just such a significant jump to the NHL from every other league in the world, it's nearly impossible to project how players will turn out, especially if they dont have that "blue chip" label on them.

Im just really looking forward to seeing some more players with skill in the lineup. we have plenty o average two way experienced players. we can afford to gamble on a vey, or perhaps even a shinkaruk or horvat.

my pure speculation on vey is that he has middle 6 potential, which imo is solely dependant on cracking the 50 point barrier.... really he's more of the same type of player we seem to be accruing.... lacking in the high end offensive projections, but good all around attributes with the ability to contribute. if we end up with 4 lines like this, we'll be a successfull club for a long time.

I don't need to watch Otters games. History is on my side. Until he proves it at the NHL level it's nothing but prediction. Many kids light it up in junior yet don't enjoy the same NHL success. Scouts had Daigle labelled "the next great one". Drafted first overall his junior success never happened in the NHL. Ray Martyniuk (drafted 5th overall) was labelled "the can't miss kid" and never played an NHL game. Although extreme examples this happens with many juniors, including high first round picks. Dane wasn't even drafted. There's simply no sure fire way of predicting how well a junior will perform when shifting from boys to men.

I never said anything about how many points he will be producing in the NHL level. That's your straw man, chief.

I said he has the raw shooting skill to score on NHL goaltenders. When a kid can beat CHL goaltenders from the blue line with a wrister with any consistency, it's pretty clear his shot will not be an issue at higher levels.

I never said anything about how many points he will be producing in the NHL level. That's your straw man, chief.

I said he has the raw shooting skill to score on NHL goaltenders. When a kid can beat CHL goaltenders from the blue line with a wrister with any consistency, it's pretty clear his shot will not be an issue at higher levels.

Mason Raymond used to do that

Leave out the stupidity.

Junior is a world apart from the WHL. The WHL is a world apart from the NHL. You can tout his shot all you want when he proves it at the NHL level. Until then he's only a prospect with potential as opposed to an automatic NHL goal scorer.

Leave out the stupidity.

Junior is a world apart from the WHL. The WHL is a world apart from the NHL. You can tout his shot all you want when he proves it at the NHL level. Until then he's only a prospect with potential as opposed to an automatic NHL goal scorer.

No point left to make? Might as well throw out some insults!

I'm also dying to know how junior is a world apart from the WHL, a junior league.

Thanks for the riveting conversation.

Leave out the stupidity.

Uhhhh, WHL is not Junior? You mean the AHL?

How does a 24 year old throw away player on a league min 2 way contract, magically become a 1st line center?

Adam Oates says, "Hi." He was undrafted and became a first line center at 26 or 27.

Mike Rogers, another undersized center drafted by the Canucks in the fifth round, remained unclaimed by the Canucks in the re-entry draft from the merger of the WHA and NHL, and became a first line NHL center at 26 with Hartford. He scored 105 points in each of his first two NHL seasons.

You know this how? pretty sure they didnt think that about claude otherwise would have gone a lot higher then 20 somthing. for all we know mcann might get over 100 points next year considering his talent and the fact that he was so focused on getting better on d he was literally told by his gm to stop focusing on d so much. lets just wait a bit b4 we decide where whos gonna play

Not to mention dropping eight spots in the draft could motivate him even more. The kid already looked pretty driven and now he's got eight clubs he can't wait to show what they passed up on.

LA wouldn't have traded him for so little if his projection was going to be anywhere close to a 1st line center. Come on now guys lets be at least somewhat realistic.

I was thinking the same thing. Vey is a good prospect. Being the top scorer in the WHL and getting a point a game for the last two seasons in the AHL is very good. And he has become a good two-way player who is good on the PK as well as the PP. Guys that are that good at that age usually develop into solid NHL players.

But 1C is a big stretch. To me he projects as a good 3C, maybe 2C. Playing on the wing is also a possibility.

Right now the Canucks have quite a few guys who project at 2C or 3C (Horvat, Gaunce, McCann, Vey). And two years from now Bonino and Henrik will still be under contract. (And Henrik is unlikely to be a good 1C at that stage). I see a logjam at 2C and 3C and no legitimate 1C two or three years down the road.

Better AHL numbers than Tatar.

Very similar numbers to Pirri.

Similar numbers to Killorn as well.

Not to mention Johnson.

All his comparables put up close to .5 points per game in their first fullish NHL season.

Even going way back to Bolland and Krejci isn't a giant stretch. Krejci is the best I could see him being, but he could easily put up Bolland esque numbers.

I like Krejci as a ceiling for him.

Who would have thought that Brendan Morrison would be a 1c when he was drafted?

Linemates, quality of ice time, role within the team all determine what line you play on. I hate it when people handcuff players to a role before they are even given an opportunity to play above they're "potential"

Give him 1st line ice time and linemates before you write him off as neverbeing able to play that position. I hate all of the backseat scouts that read a couple of online scouting reports and treat them as gospel and coming on here spouting crap like, "well he just dosn't have what it takes to be a 1c, he'll make a better 2nd or 3rd c."

It's Laughable.

Tatar scored 16 goals in 24 AHL playoff games. He's way faster and more skilled. When we picked up Anton Rodin, it was Tatar who we were all screaming for here at the time.

Bryan Bickell can also score in the playoffs.

I'm not saying that he's faster or more skilled than Tatar, just that he has better, more consistant numbers than him over the course of their AHL careers. Therefore the potential in the right situation for him to be as good or better than Tatar is accurate.

I know the Rodin pick hurts, but it's time to let that go. It's in the past now, and we are looking to the future.

Who would have thought that Brendan Morrison would be a 1c when he was drafted?

Linemates, quality of ice time, role within the team all determine what line you play on. I hate it when people handcuff players to a role before they are even given an opportunity to play above they're "potential"

Give him 1st line ice time and linemates before you write him off as neverbeing able to play that position. I hate all of the backseat scouts that read a couple of online scouting reports and treat them as gospel and coming on here spouting crap like, "well he just dosn't have what it takes to be a 1c, he'll make a better 2nd or 3rd c."

It's Laughable.

Who's the leafs first line center again? Tyler Bozak? If he can do it why can't Vey? He's probably not best suited ti be there on a playoff team, but if he needed to be I could see him doing no worse than Bozak did at the beginning of his career.

Archived