The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid

CALGARY!

He'll be similar to John Tavares. Just a tier below Crosby, but still a franchise centre.

This. I'd say he'll be a Top 5 player in the league for a lot of his career and a possibly the #1 player for periods once Crosby's play dies out with older age.

I know Tavers is a good player, but he can't carry a team like Croaby can. He's flat footed as a skater. I'm not saying he's not great but he's just not at all in the same league as Crosby, Toews, Kane. I don't think Taveres will leave behind a legacy like Croaby, Toews, Stamkos, Kane, Doughty.. I think Taveres will be remembered in 20 years as a guy who put up good points but wasn't an impact, game changer. I'm just wondering if McDavid won't be the same. I'm not saying he'll be another Alexander Daigle, but I just don't know that he'll be a guy who can single handly take a team from bottom feeder to cup champ

Tavares' skating was more of an issue a few years ago, but he's now to the point where he's finally fulfilling his potential and he's becoming a top 5 forward in the NHL. The only reason he isn't in the same category as Doughty and Toews is because of his lack of playoff success. And give him a year or two more and he might be mentioned in the same breath as Stamkos. Stamkos is about the best scorer in the league (next to Ovi), but Tavares is more balanced, particularly with his playmaking.

Keep in mind Nugent-Hopkins was developed horribly by Edmonton. Still, I highly doubt he'll become better than Crosby.

Can you elaborate on that? What should Edmonton have done with RNH? Why would you say that he has developed horribly?

Development is not linear and not all players grow at the same pace. Can you point out what is lacking in his game that he cannot become a #1 center or the Oilers best player? He has had some bad luck with injuries, I still fully expect him to become an excellent player.

People have such unreasonable expectations for these young players. Its not like the rest of his draft class, Huberdeau, Larsson, Strome, Scheifle, Zibby, Couts have established themselves as dominant players either. All these guys are young and have yet to become what they are projected to be. Only Landeskog has established himself as 1st line winger and he was always the most NHL ready of all the players in the draft and he also has had the best line mates of them all.

The expectation that a player that gets drafted #1 is an instant superstar is extremely misguided. Just because a player drafted after another is better in his first few years in the NHL does not mean that it cannot change later on. In 2014 we are seeing how valuable Ryan Johansen compared to a guy like Jeff Skinner, yet in 2011 almost everyone would have taken the guy that scored 30 goals at the age of 19. Would you say taking Horvat over Nuke was a huge mistake right now? Sure it is looks like Nuke might be the better player but that doesn't mean Horvat won't close that gap considerably or might not surpass Nuke in the future.

I know that you didn't imply that RNH is a bust but I disagree with the statement that his development has been "horrible". Would you still be saying that if he breaks out next year and becomes a top center?

I think the worst we can be is like 27th we can get a top three pick(new lottery) and possibly the 1st overall pick :o

But the chances are slim, and the odds are we'll get a pick no. 8-20. Thank god the draft is great and we will still get a good pick anyways.

Can you elaborate on that? What should Edmonton have done with RNH? Why would you say that he has developed horribly?

Development is not linear and not all players grow at the same pace. Can you point out what is lacking in his game that he cannot become a #1 center or the Oilers best player? He has had some bad luck with injuries, I still fully expect him to become an excellent player.

People have such unreasonable expectations for these young players. Its not like the rest of his draft class, Huberdeau, Larsson, Strome, Scheifle, Zibby, Couts have established themselves as dominant players either. All these guys are young and have yet to become what they are projected to be. Only Landeskog has established himself as 1st line winger and he was always the most NHL ready of all the players in the draft and he also has had the best line mates of them all.

The expectation that a player that gets drafted #1 is an instant superstar is extremely misguided. Just because a player drafted after another is better in his first few years in the NHL does not mean that it cannot change later on. In 2014 we are seeing how valuable Ryan Johansen compared to a guy like Jeff Skinner, yet in 2011 almost everyone would have taken the guy that scored 30 goals at the age of 19. Would you say taking Horvat over Nuke was a huge mistake right now? Sure it is looks like Nuke might be the better player but that doesn't mean Horvat won't close that gap considerably or might not surpass Nuke in the future.

I know that you didn't imply that RNH is a bust but I disagree with the statement that his development has been "horrible". Would you still be saying that if he breaks out next year and becomes a top center?

They basically threw him in the NHL, I think on the first or second line, right away when he wasn't physically mature enough. He probably wouldn't of had to deal with injuries. That's probably the main reason Drouin went back to the QMJHL last year.

McDavid or Eichel will be better than probably most, if not all, Canucks, ever.

Good enough?

You're the most negative guy I've ever seen on any forum. Go cheer for the Oiler or something

Also! you're telling me he's going to top Hank's 112 points? SMH so hard right now

McDavid will be a special player in this league, no doubt. I don't believe he will be a Sidney Crosby level of talent. Tough to make a comparison for a 17 year old kid who hasn't played a National Hockey League game.

As for the Tavares discussion, I think he is a under appreciated player in this league. I think he would get the attention he deserves if he had a team behind him.

You're the most negative guy I've ever seen on any forum. Go cheer for the Oiler or something

Also! you're telling me he's going to top Hank's 112 points? SMH so hard right now

Not saying I agree with him, but I'm thinking McDavid will be consistent 100-point producer, and while he may not hit 112, I'd take multiple 100-point seasons over one 112 season.

Not saying I agree with him, but I'm thinking McDavid will be consistent 100-point producer, and while he may not hit 112, I'd take multiple 100-point seasons over one 112 season.

This. Not sure how thinking an excellent prospect will be excellent player is 'negative'. McDavid at this point looks faster than the Sedins ever were. So Bure would be the remaining guy. I admit that McDavid may not be better than Bure, since Bure was ridiculously good. But we will see.

It's easily possible, depending on his linemates. You're acting as if that is some sort record that's impossible to beat, since it's so good.

Keep in mind, Eichel plays on the USNTDP who play together all year, gaining chemistry for international tournaments while McDavid is playing with his teammates for the first time (most of them). I think some of the passes that Eichel gave were coming from chemistry with teammates.

Couturier has established himself pretty well imo. Zibby is well on his way to becoming a great center too.

As for RNH, he was the 1st overall pick in the draft. He should be putting 70+ imo on a regular basis. Yeah he put up points in his first year but no way in hell was he ready physically. His shoulder issues and all the injuries he's endured may not have been if he had year develop. Oilers rushed him. Just like Gagner imo.

Now of course eventually RNH should be a 70 point plus guy but the Oilers made his learning curve a lot steeper.

Keep in mind, Eichel plays on the USNTDP who play together all year, gaining chemistry for international tournaments while McDavid is playing with his teammates for the first time (most of them). I think some of the passes that Eichel gave were coming from chemistry with teammates.

Dude, anyone could've tapped that in.

Archived