The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Blackhawks shopping Nick Leddy

ESPN suggests the Chicago Blackhawks will trade Nick Leddy to help the club get under the salary cap as they are currently $2.2M over. There have been rumours in the past that they were looking to trade Patrick Sharp ($5.9M) but it's believed that Leddy ($2.7M) is more expendable.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/51014/nhl-with-craig-custance

He's been in the coach's doghouse in the playoffs recently, so it makes sense why they would find him to be expendable.

I would think Versteeg would be the first guy they would want to trade, but Leddy would obviously have more trade value.

Maybe Buffalo would be a fit? They have lots of picks they could trade.

I dunno why you even consider moving him. He's only 23, former first round pick, and on a reasonable team friendly contract. That is not a cap dump player. If he's on the move though, I would happily send over a 2nd round pick with a prospect like Anton Cederholm. We don't really have room for Leddy, but for his age and his potential, we can make room.

Looks like the nhl preseason is about to heat up

Bissonette

Leddy

Marleau/Thornton

Whatever the bruins do

Canucks will make some sort of deal

Bissonnette getting signed is hardly what I'd consider "heating up".

If Leddy's moved it will be a notable trade, but it won't be a blockbuster trade.

San Jose has mentioned how many times now that they are keeping Thornton & Marleau?

Boston will just dump some defenseman.

Vancouver at the most will trade a player like Higgins or Hansen.

I would have thought Versteeg would be moved before him, Versteeg isn't a typical bottom 6 player and they're bottom 6 looks like this:

Bickell - Shaw - Versteeg

Morin - Kruger - Smith

Add in Teravainen who might be able to get a spot in there before Christmas. Broadhurst, Ross, Nordstrom all could eventually crack the Blackhawks it makes Versteeg redundant.

On defence, Clendening can get a spot in the top 6 aswell, Rozsival is a solid #5 defenceman for Chicago, I would have bet on him to leave first but Leddy hasn't been all that good and Clendening a offensive defenceman like Leddy should be able to replace that void quite easily.

He's been in the coach's doghouse in the playoffs recently, so it makes sense why they would find him to be expendable.

I would think Versteeg would be the first guy they would want to trade, but Leddy would obviously have more trade value.

Maybe Buffalo would be a fit? They have lots of picks they could trade.

Buffalo would be a really nice fit for Leddy.

Gorges - Myers

Leddy - Ristolainen

Benoit - Meszaros

That really isn't that bad of a defence if Ristolainen is ready.

Don't look into it too much. Leddy is a big part of their defense now and moving forward being young and Hawks aren't dumb enough to trade him just to shed some cap.

Speculation in the title is exactly what it is. Hawks want to get cap compliant all they have to do is ship out Versteeg, maybe even Bickell and they'll be fine. Leddy is basically a last resort and will not happen bottom line.

Archived