The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Desjardins has already met with all his players

DeNiro

What makes coaches like Desjardins successful is their flexibility with different players and their respective skill set. He will hold all players accountable but without the tantrums(Torts) and the dog house treatment(AV). Great to have his kind coaching the Canucks. Kind of reminds me of Pat Quinn.

He is a lot like Quinn- firm but fair. As long as players understand their roles and play accordingly, the players will do well under Willie

Watch him become the whipping boy by seasons end if we miss the playoffs.

Well I for one won't be giving him a "whipping" until he has had at least 3 years in the job. I will judge him on his 3rd season because by that time our prospects will have bedded in and JB's team building will be well under way.

Watch him become the whipping boy by seasons end if we miss the playoffs.

If we miss the playoffs it's not like anyone would be shocked.

And I definitely wouldn't blame him for it. It would obviously be because of a combination of new players not being a fit, older players not being able to regain their form, and young players not being ready to step up.

This is a transition year. If Desjardins takes this team to the playoffs in his first season it will be quite the accomplishment.

Well I for one won't be giving him a "whipping" until he has had at least 3 years in the job. I will judge him on his 3rd season because by that time our prospects will have bedded in and JB's team building will be well under way.

Torts only had one year on the job before becoming our whipping boy

It makes me sick that we let that maniac behind the bench. What a sideshow that became.

I got so tired of his sarcastic smiles or eye rolls every time we got scored on.

Calling out guys like Hansen and Edler on the bench, the whole Calgary debacle, and then sitting Lu for the Winter Classic pretty much sums up that goofballs tenure here.

For a team that was trying to get away from distractions, he's probably the worst choice we could have made. But I'd like to think that everything happens for a reason, and we had to go through that to get where we want to be. Hopefully he was a blessing in disguise.

Great, great post DeNiro. I always enjoy reading your posts and thorough analysis in the Prospects category.

I've said exactly the same thing. If it weren't for last season's "circus", there is no Linden, let alone Benning and Desjardins. Sometimes, one has to walk through the Wicked Forest before getting to the Emerald City.

He has met with every single player by phone or in person including a trip to Sweden to visit with the Sedins. Love the commitment from this guy already.

His focus on this team and ability to connect with the players will be the biggest factor this season IMO. The players have to start believing in themselves again and move on from last season.

Hopefully Willie is the guy that can bring the passion out of this team again.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729069

What Gillis and Tortorella pulled together can be resumed in one word:

HEIST

If we miss the playoffs it's not like anyone would be shocked.

And I definitely wouldn't blame him for it. It would obviously be because of a combination of new players not being a fit, older players not being able to regain their form, and young players not being ready to step up.

This is a transition year. If Desjardins takes this team to the playoffs in his first season it will be quite the accomplishment.

They're gonna win the Cup.

Yet guys like he, Keenan, Crawford etc win cups as fiery coaches.

It has nothing to do with fire.

It has to do with being committed to the team and having the players be committed to the coach. Tortorella clearly had neither.

I think his passion for coaching is dead, and I doubt he coaches in the NHL again.

I agree with the folks here who really appreciate WD, but it's the end of August. I'd hope that he (or anyone else in his position) would have met or at least spoken with his players by now. The fact that Tortorella was so aloof sets the bar awfully low though.

I don't think WD needs a low bar in any event.

I agree with the folks here who really appreciate WD, but it's the end of August. I'd hope that he (or anyone else in his position) would have met or at least spoken with his players by now. The fact that Tortorella was so aloof sets the bar awfully low though.

I don't think WD needs a low bar in any event.

Meeting players hanging around the rink is one thing.

Calling each one of them up personally, and even flying to Sweden to meet with your top players is taking it a step beyond.

Meeting players hanging around the rink is one thing.

Calling each one of them up personally, and even flying to Sweden to meet with your top players is taking it a step beyond.

You're right DeNiro, and Desjardins certainly gives confidence that he's going to go that step beyond and get the most out of his players in the right way.

My point was more in response to the Tortorella bent of this thread. Tortorella commented more than once to the effect that he didn't know the team, didn't know the players coming in, was from the Eastern conference, who is this Alex Edler guy, etc, etc - which came accross as both ingenuine, and amateurish. I don't give a frack if you were coaching in the other conference (or even outside the gd league) - if you don't know the players throughout the league, you are mickey mouse. And if there were any truth to it, do your damn job and get to know them. Did we see that? No, we saw a coach who thought Edler was the primary shutdown defenseman on the team, and who took half a fracking season to realize otherwise. We saw a coach who thought Jannick Hansen should be killing 49 seconds of penalties a game, while his overutilized and exhausted twin brothers, two of the best puck possession players in the game, should be spending more time and energy blpcking shots and killing penalties than a seasoned role player like Jannick. Ridiculous. On top of it, he openly busts both those players jewels publicly behind the bench. Good riddance to that.

But yeah, not trying to water down your point here - WD isn't just the rebound - he's the real deal regardless.

lets see how much this board shares its love if this team is less than adequate .. fickle fan base we are

some may be - some are firmly behind this team, consistently and regardless.

this team was less than adequate (performance-wise) last year.

did that stop you from loving it?

Archived