The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Desjardins has already met with all his players

DeNiro

I don't blame Torts for our woes last year. Not entirely like most. He isn't the coach for our run and gun team. His style conflicted with our core and it showed.

Lots of folks weren't interested in that experiment from the get-go but decided to give it a chance and see what Tortorella did.

Unfortunately, Tortorella doesn't coach to what he has, he does what he does, and when that doesn't work or fit with what he has to work with he expects to remake the organizaton in his image. We've been there before with that, and I'm glad it was nipped in the bud before it went any further. Tortorella has been the subject of lots of discussion pre an post, but as far as I'm concerned, he made no shortage of strongly counterintuitive decisions and fairly predictably paid the price.

some may be - some are firmly behind this team, consistently and regardless.

this team was less than adequate (performance-wise) last year.

did that stop you from loving it?

no sir it didn't .. I would love them if they came dead last and drafted a franchise player .. my love is unconditional ..tee hee

Willie is great. A true player's coach, somewhat like AV.

AV wasn't a players coach. That's why he let the Sedins and the other leaders control communication on the players side.

Desjardins actually talks to players and tries to push them individually.

AV wasn't a players coach. That's why he let the Sedins and the other leaders control communication on the players side.

Desjardins actually talks to players and tries to push them individually.

What I meant is that AV was the kind of coach that players liked and got along with generally, unlike Torts. Desjardins is like that too.

But yes, Desjardins takes it a step further and tries to create further relationships with his players.

I don't blame Torts for our woes last year. Not entirely like most. He isn't the coach for our run and gun team. His style conflicted with our core and it showed.

I don't blame torts at all. He's a proven winner, but for whatever reason our team couldn't swallow their ego and just buy into the system. It's as if they thought they were a run and gun team when in reality the skill and speed just wasn't there anymore.

I like what Benning has done in shipping out some dead weight. If this downwards spiral persists, it will no longer be the coaches head on a platter like previous years, but rather old core guys like Bieksa, Burrows and Edler who just couldn't get the job done will get shipped out of town.

Yet guys like he, Keenan, Crawford etc win cups as fiery coaches.

Yup...Keenan SC in '93-'94; Crow SC in '95-'96; Tortorella SC in '03-'04. Only success Keenan and Crow have had coaching in recent years is overseas...looks like Tortorella's only coaching employment is going to come in some Euro league.

These fiery guys are awesome. Awesome in the sort of dinosaurs are awesome kind of way.

I think it was De Niro who said "we need a committed coach"... Tort's should have been committed to the asylum long before the end of the year!

He didn't get voted in as whipping boy he fully earned the position...

As far as I'm concerned, he just inherited a crappy team. Did what he could by trying to implement a system, but the team just didn't want to buy in.

People are reading too much into things. Lets see how this team plays once they hit the rink. Lets see if our PP improves at all...etc. Every coach has a different strategy and mentality. Torts won a cup so clearly he did something right. I hope WDs coaching style works for our group, but we won't know until we are well into the season.

I don't blame torts at all. He's a proven winner, but for whatever reason our team couldn't swallow their ego and just buy into the system. It's as if they thought they were a run and gun team when in reality the skill and speed just wasn't there anymore.

I like what Benning has done in shipping out some dead weight. If this downwards spiral persists, it will no longer be the coaches head on a platter like previous years, but rather old core guys like Bieksa, Burrows and Edler who just couldn't get the job done will get shipped out of town.

You're clueless. Tortorella was an absentee coach. It's been proven that he was constantly trying to find ways to duck responsibility.

1. Cutting the practice schedule in half in order to make his way into Point Roberts.

2. Not speaking or communicating to anyone in the Utica Comets throughout the entire season.

3. Embarrassing the team and the organization by trying to assault Bob Hartley. I mean, how useful was he in suspension?

The players are just as culpable for the failure of last season. They should all be given one season to sort their shit out. Then the onus falls on them.

Sometimes that's all it takes.

Somehow Keenan managed to survive more than one season here.

It's funny when you look at the coaching history of the Canucks, Tortorella had a similar effect to Keenan. Both came in guns blazing, alienated the players, forced one of our best players out (Linden, Kesler), and helped us finish almost bottom of the league, which resulted in a high 1st round pick.

The next coach who was brought in was Crawford, who promised a much more up-tempo brand of hockey. He lasted here for 7 years.

Archived