The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

Ok so for all of you preaching the need for guys like Sestito, Marc Savard will never play pro hockey again. He played on the big bad Bruins with Lucic, Thornton, McQuade, Chara and many others who are considered though and they couldn't prevent Matt Cooke from taking out their best player. So how would Sestito prevent someone from doing the same thing the Henrik?

Ok so for all of you preaching the need for guys like Sestito, Marc Savard will never play pro hockey again. He played on the big bad Bruins with Lucic, Thornton, McQuade, Chara and many others who are considered though and they couldn't prevent Matt Cooke from taking out their best player. So how would Sestito prevent someone from doing the same thing the Henrik?

It would help if Sestito could catch a guy on his own, but he can't. Our best wingnut to put out there is Kassian. But i'd rather just have the team not play goon hockey. It's a waste of time and energy.

Kinda sucks we had to let him go. Sign a bargain guy to be your 13th forward and a couple months in he's on pace for 50 points lol

I understand why we let him walk but we probably coulda kept the guy over any of our bottom six and been a slightly better team. Haha

Good on him though for continuing that success in Toronto. He's going to get better opportunities there than he would here.

Not sure why we traded for Vey when we could've just kept this guy around and acheive better results.

WD needs a few of his boys around?

Kinda sucks we had to let him go. Sign a bargain guy to be your 13th forward and a couple months in he's on pace for 50 points lol

I understand why we let him walk but we probably coulda kept the guy over any of our bottom six and been a slightly better team. Haha

Good on him though for continuing that success in Toronto. He's going to get better opportunities there than he would here.

Yup. Its debateable whether Vey can match what Santo was bringing. Short term, as in this year anyway.

Santo's ultimate contract of $1.5 for 1 year was also easily manageable.

Not sure why we traded for Vey when we could've just kept this guy around and acheive better results.

He is younger. I suppose the theory is more upside?

Because Santorelli is almost 29 and Vey is only 23. Isn't that obvious?

We're building for the next 5 years, not to be a contender this year.

Because Santorelli is almost 29 and Vey is only 23. Isn't that obvious?

We're building for the next 5 years, not to be a contender this year.

No more obvious than drafting McKeown with the pick could have helped us 5 years from now. As we are much weaker in our defensive pool than at centre.

As armchair GM I would have signed Santorelli for 2 to 3 years. To tide us over till our own prospects were groomed.

The only definitively obvious thing was JB and those who had input liked Vey. And they made that call.

So now we cheer for Vey...

No more obvious than drafting McKeown with the pick could have helped us 5 years from now. As we are much weaker in our defensive pool than at centre.

As armchair GM I would have signed Santorelli for 2 to 3 years. To tide us over till our own prospects were groomed.

The only definitively obvious thing was JB and those who had input liked Vey. And they made that call.

Vey is more proven as an asset than McKeown. I agree that we need defensive depth, but I trust Benning enough that if he doesn't see enough in McKeown to take him, then Vey is much more valuable.

We aren't that strong at center anymore really. Sure we've got Horvat, McCann, Gaunce and Cassels, but none of those guys are guaranteed to be top 6 players at this point. Vey has proven himself at every level but the NHL, and has shown to have the offensive instincts of a top 6 center. Still lots of room for improvement too.

I'm happy with Vey, and I'm sure our defensive depth will be shored up in time.

Vey is more proven as an asset than McKeown. I agree that we need defensive depth, but I trust Benning enough that if he doesn't see enough in McKeown to take him, then Vey is much more valuable.

We aren't that strong at center anymore really. Sure we've got Horvat, McCann, Gaunce and Cassels, but none of those guys are guaranteed to be top 6 players at this point. Vey has proven himself at every level but the NHL, and has shown to have the offensive instincts of a top 6 center. Still lots of room for improvement too.

Yes Vey looks viable, more advanced and does have upside.

I suppose as some of our forwards start to come on board we may truly have too much depth up front. At some point anyway?

At that point a trade from strength, for a D man, is also a possibility.

Too bad we don't get to see guys like Tryamkin, or Hutton, at camp.

We need someone to play the role of 14th forward. That's Sestito to a tee. If Dorsett goes down then we might want him in the lineup against certain matches. We will have other bodies, and Jensen to call up, if we need top 9 help.

At some point this season we will probably have injuries to 3-5 forwards at a time. We may very well see a 4th line of Archie-Lain-Sestito at some point. Brace yourself for it. If they can play 6-8 minutes while we heal then they will have done their job over a long season.

ok, this is one of the more convincing arguments for keeping Sestito around, and this is coming from a moderate anti-Tito-er.

but he needs -needsneedsNEEDS- to cut out the antics. slot into the lineup when necessary and, as you say, play 6-8 a night, focusing on his positioning and the timing of his hits/scraps.

The report was that Santorelli was asking more from Vancouver than what he eventually took.

Really though I think Vey was Benning's chance to fill a void in the system. 23 year old NHL ready forward with upside. Beyond Kassian there was a barren desert in the depth chart for players (especially forwards) in that age group that could make an impact anytime soon.

Call it jumpstarting the rebuild, or whatever you will really, Vey was a great acquisition by Benning. Santo played really well last year before the injury but it just didn't work, Vey really is about the long term.

Dude, that's a really good point!

I have to wonder if part of the mentality of letting Santo walk has to do with JB putting his own stamp on the team while trying to wash the bad taste of MG out of our mouths.

Archived