The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

Not sure why we traded for Vey when we could've just kept this guy around and acheive better results.

WD needs a few of his boys around?

I think it was just a great opportunity to pick up a player like vey. Guys like him don't become available too often at this stage of their career. He's the kind of player you don't want to give up but have no choice.. It be like us trading Jensen right now. Not the best example because he hasn't done as much as vey yet but you get the idea.

He probably won't be as good as santo this year but I'm cool with taking the small hit now to see what we can get from Vey in the future.

No more obvious than drafting McKeown with the pick could have helped us 5 years from now. As we are much weaker in our defensive pool than at centre.

As armchair GM I would have signed Santorelli for 2 to 3 years. To tide us over till our own prospects were groomed.

The only definitively obvious thing was JB and those who had input liked Vey. And they made that call.

So now we cheer for Vey...

I like McKeown as a prospect and he'd have been a nice add to our system (in one of our weaker areas) but I really didn't have a problem with trading that 2nd rounder, even before seeing Vey and learning more about him.

I mean, McKeown is likely several years away from making any real impact, and that's assuming he even develops into an NHL-grade player--which is far from guaranteed.

And the 2015 class is much stronger than 2014, with plenty of exciting D prospects available through the early rounds. So it's not like we really set ourselves back or missed some great opportunity.

Sure, maybe McKeown pans out and Vey flops and the trade looks bad. But right now, Vey is much more of a sure bet and he makes us better right now, and not years down the road. And we still drafted a couple Ds with good upside in Tryamkin and Forsling, who could both potentially surpass McKeown as players (different types clearly).

And Vey fills a pressing need as our only RH shooting forward that can play centre and take faceoffs (albeit with a fair amount of room for improvement). Plus he has PP ability (proven at the lower levels and has looked good so far for the Canucks) and along with Vrbata and Bonino, should help boost the man advantage or at least offset some of the loss of Kesler.

I feel like even if McKeown does well as a pro, the impact of missing on getting him here is pretty minor, and will likely be offset by another prospect (either current or future) in our system. However, without Vey on the roster, I think we look a lot weaker right now and for the immediate future. Maybe we could have found someone via free agency, or kept Santo, but I think Benning really knew what he was doing and has added a superior player that helps immediately and builds for the future.

I really think it was a good add and a strong trade (and I liked McKeown a lot and ranked him quite high on my draft list).

Vey is more proven as an asset than McKeown. I agree that we need defensive depth, but I trust Benning enough that if he doesn't see enough in McKeown to take him, then Vey is much more valuable.

We aren't that strong at center anymore really. Sure we've got Horvat, McCann, Gaunce and Cassels, but none of those guys are guaranteed to be top 6 players at this point. Vey has proven himself at every level but the NHL, and has shown to have the offensive instincts of a top 6 center. Still lots of room for improvement too.

I'm happy with Vey, and I'm sure our defensive depth will be shored up in time.

I trust Benning too... but I'd trust Lombardi slightly more given what he was able to do with the LA Kings, you know with picking Kopitar and all and how they are always never short of good prospects. If Lombardi thought McKeown was worth it, then there must be something good about that kid.

But yeah, I'm happy with Vey. After all, he's just a rookie and he will get better with time.

Well Benning said Vey can be a top 6 guy in a year. Watching him on the PP you can definitely see he has excellent vision and passing. Love how he taps his stick on the ice with the Sedins LOL

Exactly, kids got game and showed so in nhl stints last year. A second round pick is a bargain if he pans out as a second liner. Who knows if we even woulda taken Mckeown. Vey may not be the Evander Kane type youth star turn around we wanted but he's a good start to the youth movement that needs to happen asap.

Santorelli over Vey? Have you guys been watching Vey? He already looks as good as Santorelli and he's a 23 year old rookie. Sorry guys, but as much as I like Santo, Vey is far more interesting.

Vey was listed as one of Los Angeles' top 3 prospects last year. He'll do well here and will look better as he gets more comfortable with regular line mates. Impressed by what I've seen of him so far!

For all those saying we should have drafted McKeown instead, he's an 18 yr old prospect who has about a 20% chance of ever playing and having an impact in the NHL. Vey proved last year that he is ready and capable of stepping into the NHL.

We needed immediate NHL ready depth to be successful for the coming year. Vey was an excellent choice to pickup from a team that had too much depth at his position!

It was a trade that worked for both teams!

Ok so for all of you preaching the need for guys like Sestito, Marc Savard will never play pro hockey again. He played on the big bad Bruins with Lucic, Thornton, McQuade, Chara and many others who are considered though and they couldn't prevent Matt Cooke from taking out their best player. So how would Sestito prevent someone from doing the same thing the Henrik?

Just out of interest, how would everyone here grade Sestito as a fighter? Yes, he's big, but my personal opinion is that someone like Rypien (may he RIP), would have taken him apart!

From what I've seen, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give Sistito about a 5 on his fighting ability.

Just out of interest, how would everyone here grade Sestito as a fighter? Yes, he's big, but my personal opinion is that someone like Rypien (may he RIP), would have taken him apart!

From what I've seen, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give Sistito about a 5 on his fighting ability.

Sestito is big, somewhat strong, and can punch hard.. So he is intimidating.. But as far as fighting ability goes, he's about average in this league...

And Rypien was miles ahead of him in fighting ability.. Rypien could take on Mike Tyson and a full grown bear

Ya I don't think hes that good of a fight either but where he really hurts the teams is that for every 2 minutes TOI he gets 1 PIM. Thats worse than John Scott who gets 1 PIM for every 3.5 minutes TOI.

I trust Benning too... but I'd trust Lombardi slightly more given what he was able to do with the LA Kings, you know with picking Kopitar and all and how they are always never short of good prospects. If Lombardi thought McKeown was worth it, then there must be something good about that kid.

But yeah, I'm happy with Vey. After all, he's just a rookie and he will get better with time.

Except that LA is so deep with forwards that Vey wasn't going to crack their top 9 and would have to be waived. I'd say it was a solid trade for both teams, but we won't really know until McKeown has reached the NHL.

They traded a player that had no place on their team in order to strengthen their depth in another area. It's just good asset management.

Doesn't mean the Kings didn't think he was a good player. However they weren't going to bump a player from a Stanley Cup winning roster for an unproven rookie. And Vey's value would have continued to drop, the longer he toiled away in the AHL. Therefore Lombardi made a move.

The way I see it is, we traded a 29 year old Garrison for a 23 year old up-and-coming offensive forward who looks poised to make the jump to the NHL full time. That's also good asset management as well.

The report was that Santorelli was asking more from Vancouver than what he eventually took.

Really though I think Vey was Benning's chance to fill a void in the system. 23 year old NHL ready forward with upside. Beyond Kassian there was a barren desert in the depth chart for players (especially forwards) in that age group that could make an impact anytime soon.

Call it jumpstarting the rebuild, or whatever you will really, Vey was a great acquisition by Benning. Santo played really well last year before the injury but it just didn't work, Vey really is about the long term.

Look, its a good acquisition no matter how you slice it. We get a guy almost as good as Santo this year. Thats my eval. But with much better upside.

Not sure I agree about the gaping chasm. Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Horvat... Vey is just a year more advanced, not necessarily better than these guys.

Someone else nailed it. Vey was the best answer when negotiations did not go well with Santorelli. And it comes with upside. I'm still very happy with it. Just refuse to call it better than it is.

Santorelli over Vey? Have you guys been watching Vey? He already looks as good as Santorelli and he's a 23 year old rookie. Sorry guys, but as much as I like Santo, Vey is far more interesting.

Santo proved capable of being more than adequate fill for Kesler last year. Solid 3C, capable of moving up. Also for Burrows as top line RW. And he kept Hansen and Kassian down the depth chart and played 2RW for a good portion of the year as well when that was what he was asked to do.

Vey is exciting, and may get there in a year or two. Put up great AHL numbers. ATM he's having trouble beating Mathias for 3C. I dont see him beating out Kassian. When taken off 3C, has not been placed on Bonino's 2knd line. Interesting or not, upside and all he is not at Santorelli's level yet.

They traded a player that had no place on their team in order to strengthen their depth in another area. It's just good asset management.

Doesn't mean the Kings didn't think he was a good player. However they weren't going to bump a player from a Stanley Cup winning roster for an unproven rookie. And Vey's value would have continued to drop, the longer he toiled away in the AHL. Therefore Lombardi made a move.

The way I see it is, we traded a 29 year old Garrison for a 23 year old up-and-coming offensive forward who looks poised to make the jump to the NHL full time. That's also good asset management as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a big part of the trade was that the Kings couldn't put him back in the AHL, he would be claimed off waivers. Given the chance, I'm sure they would have loved to keep him in their system for another year for depth. You never know what injuries etc can happen.

Fark, this pre-season is just so exciting.

^^ Here I am debating how good a young player, who is still more than good enough for our roster, will be?

Vey, although a different player, appears where Kassian was last year. He started on the 3rd, moved to the 4th when not on his game. But had the skills to play where needed. Started to get it together and moved up again. By the end of the year he looked like a bonafide 2knd liner. Thats called development!

(I feel like I'm quoting DeNiro)

It's just awesome that we have young players, with better skills than we have seen recently. And make them work to develop NHL level intensity and competitiveness. Force the good habits early and let the skill surface as it does.

Jensen appears even more talented than Vey. Albeit 1/2 a step behind in his curve to make it full time.

Net result is the even more electric Shinkaruk has to learn to bust in to corners and steal pucks. And backcheck, kill penalties etc. Not just coast for goals.

If they have to compete that hard just to make the team; how good will that be when we get to the play off's again?

Archived