The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johansen extorting the Blue Jackets?

-AJ-

I feel like it'd be smarter for him to do a 2-year bridge deal, prove that he can put up 30+ goals and 70+ points consistently, then get signed for a long-term, high-paying deal.

That is probably only true though if He actually wants to stay in the CBJ area. Kind of sounds like he wants to get out of there or feels they should pay him more to live there when he doesn't. Just assumptions though, Not facts.

Wonder if Benning wouldn't want to go after Ryan just alone for the fact that he would have to deal with Overhardt again. Guy sounds like an @** but I guess sometimes you need a guy like that to fight harder to make you some extra coin at the end of the day. Can blow up in your face but can also pay off as well. Life is a gamble sometimes.

I think both sides have a valid point. He did have one break out year. 7 mill is a little steep for one year. The year before Doesnt the coach or Gm go on record saying he needed to work harder and was a little lazy at times. It would be a hard blow if he got his long term high paying contract and started to slack a little with his security instead of working hard for a new contract.

That being said, As long as the Cap keeps rising, There will be a point where 7 mill could be what a 2nd or 3rd liner makes on average and it seems like a steal. That would most likely be closer to the end of his contract though.

With the cap where it is at and his recent year I think its fair to ask for more than 3.5 mill.

You know, I just looked at his stats again. 33 goals and 30 assists isn't that far off, I mean, it IS one season, but still, who the hell else does Columbus have like Ryan?

Considering how stupid the payments have been for young players in the NHL(Toews, Kane, Etc.), I don't feel 6.5 Million is all that much of an over payment.

Give him a 2 year deal, work around him, and if he can't produce, then he looks like a total bum and they can lowball him at the end of the contract.

Best case scenario, he continues to grow and earn his money and Columbus keeps one of the best young players in the league happy.

Worst case scenario he regresses and looks like a money grabbing piece of crap

You know, I just looked at his stats again. 33 goals and 30 assists isn't that far off, I mean, it IS one season, but still, who the hell else does Columbus have like Ryan?

Considering how stupid the payments have been for young players in the NHL(Toews, Kane, Etc.), I don't feel 6.5 Million is all that much of an over payment.

Give him a 2 year deal, work around him, and if he can't produce, then he looks like a total bum and they can lowball him at the end of the contract.

Best case scenario, he continues to grow and earn his money and Columbus keeps one of the best young players in the league happy.

Worst case scenario he regresses and looks like a money grabbing piece of crap

Toews and Kane had both won Cups by the time their ELC expired and both of them signed longer term deals. They got their huge pay raise because they now have 2 Cups along with Conn Smythes are are UFAs at the end of the year. Comparing their current contracts to Johansen's is just not smart. You say they should cede to his demands and go with the 2 year @ 6.5M per contract but if he under performs and that contract ends, his qualifying offer will be 6.5M. This means that his next contract will have to be 6.5M+.

Like Phil_314 posted in his examples, not a single post ELC 2 year bridge contract of just about any player (correct me if I am wrong) has gone past 4M. To ask for 6.5M is trying to set a new precedent and this is ultimately the agent trying to make a name of himself. I bet this Overhardt wants to be the next Scott Boras of hockey. I don't blame Columbus for not doing it, this sets up an awful precedent for all their RFAs. What if Murray/Wennberg have one amazing year? They will demand massive raises as well. Hockey is not baseball, teams operate under a cap, paying a player for one good year is setting yourself up for failure later.

Its important for all of us that the Jackets stick firm on their side of things. Imagine 3 years from now Horvat has a great year and he sees this Johansen contract and demands 8M (inflated because of rising cap). The precedent has been set so the Canucks and just about every team will be affected. Trust me we don't want that. Lets hope he settles for something reasonable.

J.D. should slow down, and try to be the sane one at the table. "Extortion" can be illegal so he is back handedly defaming /libeling the other party, he could end up in court. I don't blame the player or agent or team, this is all negotiating but they need to watch the words they use.

I like John Davidson, but comments like these are a bad move imo.

First of all, he doesn't come off as professional nor as composed as he should in the role he serves. Throwing a word like "extortion" out there comes off as unnecessarily dramatic and unreasonable. The actual meaning of the word - makes the comment relatively inappropriate.

It's also somewhat hard to sympathize with the Jackets here. We don't necessarily know the precise terms of the demands and offers, but Johansen is probably worth in the range of 6 million (certainly as valuable as Seguin imo as a comparable who got his payday before last season's payoff) - and if Johansen is asking for 7 (in the 'new' cap climate) - that's not all that ridiculous in the context of a negotiation as far as I'm concerned.

The CBJ telling him he's not welcome in the dressing room until a deal is done? Is that the standard of 'reasonable' he should be aiming for? Not sure which party should be embarrased here tbh.

J.D. should slow down, and try to be the sane one at the table. "Extortion" can be illegal so he is back handedly defaming /libeling the other party, he could end up in court. I don't blame the player or agent or team, this is all negotiating but they need to watch the words they use.

Agreed. Exactly what I was thinking. Not sure what he thinks the outcome of such language will be, but it's probably not too prudent to be shooting from the hip like that.

I have zero sympathy for The Blues management and ownership. This deal is under the CBA they wanted and now that agents have found ways to manipulate it in their client's favour, management is crying the blues yet again. Pay him or trade him and save us the sob story.

That said, I can see this unfolding just the PK Subban saga did. Subban sits out a week or so and signs the contract the team wants him to sign. Johansen will not sit out long because sitting out doesn't help him at this point of his career.

I have zero sympathy for The Blues management and ownership. This deal is under the CBA they wanted and now that agents have found ways to manipulate it in their client's favour, management is crying the blues yet again. Pay him or trade him and save us the sob story.

That said, I can see this unfolding just the PK Subban saga did. Subban sits out a week or so and signs the contract the team wants him to sign. Johansen will not sit out long because sitting out doesn't help him at this point of his career.

I agree with your point about the ironies of the CBA negotiations and the crococile tears we are now seeing.

I have to wonder though if Subban is happier to play in Montreal than Johansen is in Columbus?

The Habs and Subban may have played a little hardball with each other, but it didn't come accross quite like this situation is.

Archived