The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First Canucks game experience

on the cycle

April 5, 2012 vs. Calgary. Lost 3-2. Got wasted on expensive beer. The game was quite boring, one of those end of the year games against a team already out of the race. Burrows did score a nice shorthanded goal though. Had seats that I thought would be quite good, was close enough to the bench to see the grease in Lou's hair, but the angle and the glass made it hard to see much of the rink.

Got to say, I prefer watching the games on TV. Might be different if I had better seats and there wasn't a terrible atmosphere in the arena though. Went to a junior game when it was in Edmonton/Calgary and it was quite a good time.

It's hard to get out to games with the prices and the flying and driving.

Canucks versus the Habs at Pacific Coliseum back when there were more Habs fans than Canucks fans at the game.

Canucks scored within the first minute - lost 2-1. Losing to the Habs was a ritual. Don't remember the year, mid 80s I think.

My first Canuck game was awesome. February 14 or 24th (can't remember), 2003. Nazzy got 1 goal, 5 assists vs the Thrashers in an 8-0 win. Seeing my favorite player have a career night was unbelievable. Too bad I was only 9 at the time so I don't remember it too well.

Went to another Canuck game where the Canucks played the Sharks. Was an unbelievable game. Canucks lost but it was one hell of a game.

Those are the only 2 Canuck games I've gotten to see.

April 12, 1992 - Los Angeles Kings (6-1 Loss)

I was lucky enough to be one of those little kids that play during the intermission (timbits style). I remember a player on our team getting yelled at because he tried to drink from one of the Canucks' water bottles on the bench.

We got to high five the players as they walked by in the tunnels and Larry Robinson even came to talk to us in the dressing room which was pretty cool for a guy from the other team.

It was a pretty amazing experience and very memorable because at least Bure gave us a goal and Gretzky got kicked out after giving a nasty high stick!

It was at Pacific Coluseum in the early 80s.

Travelled from north V Island to see the game.

Gretzky, Coffee, Kurri, Anderson....

Tanti was a just a youngster, Smyl was still a young man......Gradin, King Richard.

Can't remember the result.... :bigblush:

Made another trip to see them face the young Jets (at the time) - Hawerchuk, Steen, MacLean...

I have to brag a bit here. The first game I saw live was Game 5 of the Western Coference Finals in 2011. Kes scored with 13? seconds left to tie the game and Bieksa wins it in double OT. The atmosphere was great, Granville street?, if I recall correctly, was closed after the game for us to party. You could high five a police officer with a beer in your other hand and they just said: "Go Canucks, stay safe". I stayed at the Georgian right across from the arena, what a great trip!

My first Canuck game was awesome. February 14 or 24th (can't remember), 2003. Nazzy got 1 goal, 5 assists vs the Thrashers in an 8-0 win. Seeing my favorite player have a career night was unbelievable. Too bad I was only 9 at the time so I don't remember it too well.

Hockey-reference says it was on February 25, 2003.

Geez, it seemed like half the first season NHL Canucks team was made up of guys from that WHL team.

regards,

G.

I was only a 1 year-old baby when the Canucks played their first NHL season. However, I know about the untimely injury to captain, Orland Kurtenbach before the new year. Who knows how many more wins the expansion Canucks would've had if it weren't for Kurtenbach's injury. Maybe a chance at the playoffs. They were a tough, no-quit team that was always ready to play. Just from listening to Jim Robson's memorable Canuck stories.

My most surprising/unexpected Canuck experience was showing up at my first drum lesson as a 10 year old and being greeted at the door by Jim Robson. His son Rob was my teacher. I knew he lived in the neighbourhood because my sisters went to school with Rob but I never made the connection until I showed up at his house. His daughter was at Prince of Wales when I was there as well.

Linden's last game in 2008. We lost something like 8-1; the team had completely mailed it in. It was so sad to watch the Sedin try so hard to get Linden a goal in his last game, and he kept passing it back to them. I think Byron Ritchie scored the lone goal for the canucks, and Burrows put the puck off the crossbar doing his trademark move (on the PK, of course).

My brothers boss had four tickets to the Canucks very first home game but was going to be out of town and gave the tickets to my brother. Being the great brother he is, he took his three brothers to the game instead of friends. The Canucks lost but it was a real thrill to go to that first game.

Archived