The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prediction: Vbrata won't stick with Sedin's except on power play

Brambojoe

A Brett Hull was pretty predictable too. As is a Steven Stamkos one. If it's so predictable, why did/do they still score so much?

Vrbata obviously isn't as good as those two, but his shooting ability is better than anyone we've had on the team in years.

The Sedin's haven't had a bonafide RHRW natural scorer, ever. We finally get one and after 2 preseason games people already are saying to break them up. Ridiculous.

I agree with your statements. Goal scorers shoot the puck. Playmakers pass the puck. I'm not sure why people make things seem so dire.

A Brett Hull was pretty predictable too. As is a Steven Stamkos one. If it's so predictable, why did/do they still score so much?

Vrbata obviously isn't as good as those two, but his shooting ability is better than anyone we've had on the team in years.

Exactly what I thought, but you managed to express it. Precisely.

Everyone knows what the Sedins will do but it is still harder than people think to actually stop them. Vrbata has a great shot that he is willing to use but is also a good passer and cycler. The key to success will be hank and Danny being more willing to shoot the puck. That is where the unpredictability will make it tougher on the other team.

The funny thing is both sedins have decent shots too. They just need to keep other teams honest by using them.

Everyone knows what the Sedins will do but it is still harder than people think to actually stop them. Vrbata has a great shot that he is willing to use but is also a good passer and cycler. The key to success will be hank and Danny being more willing to shoot the puck. That is where the unpredictability will make it tougher on the other team.

The funny thing is both sedins have decent shots too. They just need to keep other teams honest by using them.

I agree completely. They need to shoot, and score more if that line is going to be effective. I can think of a few situations where one of them should have shot the puck the other night and instead just played pitch and catch with each other. If teams don't think they're going to shoot, the line will be ineffective again.

Funny how people think it's more rational to judge that it will work after 2 pre-season games than that it won't work. It's not a prediction if you wait long enough to actually know for sure. How many Sedin partners have looked great on paper and then flopped. Again just talking 5v5 here.

I believe Vrbata (was doing a Don Cherry for a bit there...Bieska haha) because of his skill will have similiar success to Pavol and Naslund which is pretty good but not enough to stick....not in the way Burrows did.

I'll be pleasantly suprised if this thread get's bumped at the end of the season as a big fat "We told you so".

It's exciting to see how many options we have courtesy of just a few moves by JB. The Kesler forced trade, where we had limited leverage but picked up Bonino and Sbisa, followed by signing Vrbata and Miller and exchanging a 2nd round pick for a seemingly talented center/right winger in Vey who appears to be ready/ripe for a role. Throw in the potential that one of the rookies makes the team and we have a new face and a fresh start.

Leadership is a top down process, Linden, JB have done a masterful job in such a short timeframe, that it really seems like a promising mini rebuild beyond expectations after last years debacle. It's too early to predict anything but if Willy D is the real deal, we may surprise many who predicted that this was the start of a total rebuild.

Actually, last year was so bad that there's really nowhere to go but up, JB was obviously very ready for prime time and he could see that this team could be turned around in short order rather tearing it down.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Shinkaurak-Bonino-Kassian

Burrows-Vey-Higgins

Matthias-Richardson-Hansen

That 3rd and 4th line is just superior to most of other NHL team's bottom 6 and the first line could match any other first line's in this league. If Shinks is the real deal, then we would also have a good 2nd line

That would be nice. But it all depends on how everyone on the second line plays. Shinkaruk, Bonino and Kassian would be the most untested and inexperience second lines in the league. That could go against us or for us, depending on whether they click and can develop into stronger players.

I think Vrbata could stick. I think the Sedin's know that success also depends on them shooting the puck, which both of them have taken chances at in the 2 pre-season games they played.

I like Vbrata. I like his nose for offense (something this team needs!) but watching the last game (yes I know it was just one game) it occured to me why Burrows has worked so well with the Sedins in the past and why I don't think Vbrata will.

I think Vbrata is too predictable. I think Burrows is a more dynamic player and that the chaos he creates is part of what made that line work (when it worked). Heck I think Hansen is probably their 2nd best option (5 on 5) in that regard.

Power play. Sure he can play Kesler's old role and I think our power play will be much better this year.

This could maybe have gone into one of the many line-up threads but that isn't really what I am proposing for discussion. The question I pose is this....do people (admittedly after only a few games) think Vbrata is the guy for the Sedins 5v5.

I already think no.

I agree with one game under their belt, that being an exhibition game, Vrbata is a bust. They gotta get rid of this guy.

If you don't have chemistry right off the bat why bother right?

I hope people are not taking me seriously like I"m not taking this thread seriously.

I like Vbrata. I like his nose for offense (something this team needs!) but watching the last game (yes I know it was just one game) it occured to me why Burrows has worked so well with the Sedins in the past and why I don't think Vbrata will.

I think Vbrata is too predictable. I think Burrows is a more dynamic player and that the chaos he creates is part of what made that line work (when it worked). Heck I think Hansen is probably their 2nd best option (5 on 5) in that regard.

Power play. Sure he can play Kesler's old role and I think our power play will be much better this year.

This could maybe have gone into one of the many line-up threads but that isn't really what I am proposing for discussion. The question I pose is this....do people (admittedly after only a few games) think Vbrata is the guy for the Sedins 5v5.

I already think no.

I, for one, agree with you. It takes a certain combination of skills to score 5 on 5. On the PP gaining the zone is less of an issue, as is fighting for 50-50 pucks. Burrows brings some of those ingredients to the table, Vbrata is not known for that kind of thing, but honestly, I haven't watched him play enough to know he can't.

I agree with one game under their belt, that being an exhibition game, Vrbata is a bust. They gotta get rid of this guy.

If you don't have chemistry right off the bat why bother right?

I hope people are not taking me seriously like I"m not taking this thread seriously.

There is substance to the OP's post, in my opinion.

An analysis of which type of player may compliment the Sendin's, in different game situations, is interesting fodder for discussion as I see it.

It's is the type of discussion this board exists to facilitate.

No idea why you're dismissing it,

Exactly what I thought, but you managed to express it. Precisely.

What makes this different is the unique style of play the twins bring. The contention that they need a aggressive/irritating presence who will distract defensemen and goaltenders in front of the net, fight for loose pucks and have enough skill to participate in the cycle, is a legitimate point. Specifically 5 on 5.

In Hull's era the game was so different, that I don't believe he is a fair comparison.

As far as Stamkos goes, I don't ofter watch Tampa bay games, but I would be interested to know who he has played with and what they brought to the table.

To dismiss the fact that two (or three) great players won't work well together is obviously unfair, (Bure, Mogilny. Carter/Nash ect.)

Inb4 Vrbata scores two goals in the season opener and becomes a god in OPs eyes, and then only gets an assist in the home opener and should then be on the 3rd line.

The beautiful thing about Vrbata that everyone keeps discounting is his play in his own end. He can shutdown the best of them while still being great in the offensive zone. This will cause the Sedins possession numbers to go higher while the Sedins inflate his as well... These guys will all make each other better, not just the Sedins making him better.

That is the beauty of Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Daniel-Henrik-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian/Jensen

Is it possible LW's could periodically switch up, giving both lines a different dimension, & keeping opponents guessing?

Burrows-Henik-Vrbata

Daniel-Bonino-Kassian/Jensen

Perhaps leading in the 3rd, this makes the top line defensively stronger; on the 2nd line it might lead to Daniel naturally shooting more.

I think Burrows is a more dynamic player and that the chaos he creates is part of what made that line work (when it worked).

I agree with that analysis. Opposites attract. Burrows was fearless and somewhat reckless but that is why that line worked so well, when everyone on it was healthy. He was the tornado that went in there and whacked and dug the puck out of the melee which was sent onto the stick of a Sedin that would have just then skated the length and gotten close to the play. Once on a Sedin's stick, all the focus left him, and he skated for the front of the net. Predictable maybe, but it worked.

That said, its ridiculously early to predict the demise of the SSV line. You have to give it something like 30 games, as was said already. But I wouldn't be surprised if they tail off. They are all a little close in style of waiting for the perfect pretty play unfold. Its fun and a little mesmerizing to watch the Sedins, and their linemate de jour, hog the puck for 2 minutes in the O zone, but it gets old after the umpteenth time with no goal to show for it. But yeah, lets give it a chance before writing the obituary.

Archived