The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jordan Schroeder - to be sent down to AHL

Claim him!!!

JK.

Didn't expect him to crack a deep Minnesota team.

Could be the first of many trips where he is sent down on waivers without being picked up.

Career AHLer if he can't figure it out in the next 2 seasons.

The other red flag on Schroeder is when homer analysts started diving deep into microscopic corsi sample sizes in order to prop up his apparent two-way ability, despite his obvious lack of strength and overall defensive ability.

Seriously saw an article that focused on corsi numbers on one game... vs. the Buffalo Sabres!

Why we passed on O'Rielly or Silfverberg I'll never know. Having said that there were a few busts from that year

When you realize that Mike Gillis was going to pick Anton Rodin (our 2nd round pick) at 22nd overall if Jordan Schroeder didn't fall to us...

That would have been our Jankowski moment.

Selecting an impish 'top-6 or bust' type who fell hard in the draft at that point in time was a pretty bad idea, not that it's a good idea at any time. When the Canucks decided to develop him into a 'defensive player' at the AHL level, you kinda knew it was over. Remember when he made Hodgson redundant? Lol.

Centers we passed over:

Marcus Johansson - basically a bigger, Swedish version of Schroeder that has some NHL-level skill.

Landon Ferraro - similar to Schroeder in most regards, but is in Detroit's system rather than ours.

Ryan O'Reilly - The 'safe' pick. NHL ready at draft, he's basically what we hope Horvat becomes. If we had this guy available to us during our 2011 cup run (880k cap hit), that would have altered our destiny.

This to me illustrates why the safe pick is usually the best pick, esp. when compared to the EXTREMELY risky pick that Schroeder was. I thought Gillis was a smart guy, but man he made some really bonehead decisions at draft, like he made incredibly daft decisions on purpose. Here's hoping Benning doesn't emulate this anytime soon. Virtanen is a good start, imho.

But... Nylander or Ehlers sigh

If Ryan O'Reilly was as much of a sure thing as you guys seem to think, he would have gone a lot earlier than he did. The consensus best players on the board at the time of our pick were Schroeder and John Moore, and Schroeder not developing as expected doesn't mean he was a stupid pick unless you had access to a time machine in 2009. It happens.

If Ryan O'Reilly was as much of a sure thing as you guys seem to think, he would have gone a lot earlier than he did. The consensus best players on the board at the time of our pick were Schroeder and John Moore, and Schroeder not developing as expected doesn't mean he was a stupid pick unless you had access to a time machine in 2009. It happens.

Yes...

Yeah still imagine what are team would of looked like in 2011 cup run with him. Would be nuts him on second or third line would be dinomite

As for minny dumping him down i knew it would happen

I am so happy that Gillis is gone and that we now have a dedicated, hardworking GM/Scout that has a knack and great insight for evaluating and handling young talent. Benning fits this organization like a glove. I am so relieved that he oversees the development of these young stars in the making, because they are the future. Benning has a master plan, and he will execute it to perfection.

Schroeder falling in the draft was a pretty big hint. If he was the best pick based on offense alone, (because really, what else would it be for?) then he would've gone much earlier himself.

John Moore wasn't a factor for us, as he was selected before Schroeder, but just looking at all the centers available to us at the time, it seemed that ROR had NHL-ready size and his skating wasn't an issue. Right off the bat a much safer pick, at least among the centers available. He totally seemed like a Horvat, who is now our best prospect.

But... Nylander or Ehlers sigh

Exactly. Both are lightweight top-6 or bust types. Their development into one-dimensional NHL stars is not secure.

I had read he was feisty, and was really looking to him to be our Ronning of the future,

Personally I think the size issue is over stated, it's passion, discipline, and enjoyment of the game, that brings out the best in people.

Jordan never played with passion or enjoyment,

At least when I watched him.

Ya exactly....I noticed the same...and for smaller players, they need to in order to overcome that size differential, its effectively their 'push' manifesting itself in behaviour.

Think of all the small successful players in the NHL

Denis Savard - immense passion, tireless worker

Theoren Fleury

Gallagher

Marty St Louis

Ronning

Etc, all play(ed) with a 'fire' ...I loved Schroeder but its not just about linemates as some here have mentioned, he just didn't seem to realize that as a smaller player he needed to overcome that small player bias via his effort and drive...

As a smaller player you actually have to work harder than the average NHL'er to make it, I don't think he's realized he needs to do that.

Not that he's not a hard worked, simply he has to out work everyone to be noticed.

Selecting an impish 'top-6 or bust' type who fell hard in the draft at that point in time was a pretty bad idea, not that it's a good idea at any time. When the Canucks decided to develop him into a 'defensive player' at the AHL level, you kinda knew it was over. Remember when he made Hodgson redundant? Lol.

Centers we passed over:

Marcus Johansson - basically a bigger, Swedish version of Schroeder that has some NHL-level skill.

Landon Ferraro - similar to Schroeder in most regards, but is in Detroit's system rather than ours.

Ryan O'Reilly - The 'safe' pick. NHL ready at draft, he's basically what we hope Horvat becomes. If we had this guy available to us during our 2011 cup run (880k cap hit), that would have altered our destiny.

This to me illustrates why the safe pick is usually the best pick, esp. when compared to the EXTREMELY risky pick that Schroeder was. I thought Gillis was a smart guy, but man he made some really bonehead decisions at draft, like he made incredibly daft decisions on purpose. Here's hoping Benning doesn't emulate this anytime soon. Virtanen is a good start, imho.

JS was the safe pick. Almost every credible ranking had him in the Top 15 and sometimes Top 10. He had been a star for the world junior team. I understand why Gillis would have picked him. I remember at the time, the media and fans were lauding Gillis for picking JS, touting him as a potential franchise player. The organization had received tremendous criticism for passing on David Perron and Anze Kopitar from the previous regime.

Archived