The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jordan Schroeder - to be sent down to AHL

Maybe the Canucks will treat this as lesson learned. Smaller guys can be successful. Bure wasn't all that big, for example. But they should have an extra amount of bite in their game to make up the difference. Bure had that, along with tremendous skill. All the great small players do.

Modern day small player heroes, Martin St. Louis and Patty Kane, both have this bite in their game. Ultra-skilled Martin St. Louis was undrafted and later cast aside by Calgary, but trained and trained, became a freak of nature, is now built like a small truck and was plain up difficult to knock down despite his size. Kane is probably the cockiest sonofabitch in the game today and he's ultra-skilled with no fear.

Schroeder didn't have this bite in his game, nor was he ultra-skilled. He was just another small guy who found success in college, alongside some decent wingers. He then started being an AHLer about a year early, found his AHL team already full of one-dimensional projects like Hodgson and Shirokov, didn't have any decent scoring wingers to support him there, and struggled mightily to transfer his numbers to the pro level. I think you see this all the time with small, 'meh' playmakers. If you don't give them superior wingers to carry them, they'll fail.

Minnesota wasn't the correct opportunity for him at this point as they already have similar, but better guys than him up the middle, at the NHL level and the AHL, but him going home was probably just as important to him as anything.

It was sad to see him fail here, but he was a God-awful draft choice from day one. Not near worthy of the original or subsequent hype, but still better than Patrick White, who you won't hear a tear shed about from anyone.

"Schroeder is a player we definitely haven’t heard the last of this season. Injuries will happen and while I believe that Michael Keranen is maybe a step higher on the call-up sheet — if all other things are equal and positioning, size, experience, etc. don’t play a factor in filling a specific role, which they ultimately will — it’s hard to imagine that a player with Schroeder’s potential and NHL experience won’t get a shot at some games this season."

Moral of the story. When you drop that quickly in the draft, if other teams are passing on a guy, do your homework before drafting him.

Like McCann who dropped roughly 10 spots? :bigblush: or even Shinkaruk who plummeted from the top 10. Draft isn't certain and anything can happen. We've had some late draft steals and 1st round busts. Hindsight and all that.

Like McCann who dropped roughly 10 spots? :bigblush: or even Shinkaruk who plummeted from the top 10. Draft isn't certain and anything can happen. We've had some late draft steals and 1st round busts. Hindsight and all that.

This is why I am not really sold on McCann and Shinkaruk yet.

Don't know why people are so high on Ryan O'Reilly. Even, if you go back to the draft, he isn't the guy I'd draft. There's just so many question marks around him that exist, still today. At the draft, he was the most physically ready and dominated the combine miles ahead of everyone else, and he was the safe pick as his game was insanely conservative, isn't physical, big, or fast but his effort and hockey IQ makes up for everything he lacks.

Dude is at his best potential now because he is able to play with speedsters like Duchene and MacKinnon, guys that can just breakout. He wouldn't have the same success here. There's a reason why he and his agent wanted to go for the big bucks now, and it's a smart hockey move.

O'Reilly is a guy who probably will have a short career. The guy is 110% effort and hockey IQ. Every other tool in his arsenal is going to bring him down.

It's because your brain can't gather information and come out with a synopsis of a player's future potential.

99% of the people on CDC just read to spew it back up again.

We won't know until we are at that point. I mean look at the praises and promise the commentators said when Schroeder was drafted

JS wasn't a terrible pick. Definitely one of the top talents in the 09 draft.

Drafting small players is always boom or bust due to never being good bottom 6 options.

09 was a terrible draft year in retrospect and a move to wing would have been best for Jordan so he could have focused on pure offense. He did look good between Raymond and Hansen. The bias towards smaller players will always be strong. David Desharnais has been excellent for Montreal yet his name constantly comes up as a player to upgrade or trade.

Purely an example of a player who did not take steps to elevate his game. His sophomore season in Minnesota was a sign of things to come. Still can be a good depth player.

Don't know why people are so high on Ryan O'Reilly. Even, if you go back to the draft, he isn't the guy I'd draft. There's just so many question marks around him that exist, still today. At the draft, he was the most physically ready and dominated the combine miles ahead of everyone else, and he was the safe pick as his game was insanely conservative, isn't physical, big, or fast but his effort and hockey IQ makes up for everything he lacks.

Dude is at his best potential now because he is able to play with speedsters like Duchene and MacKinnon, guys that can just breakout. He wouldn't have the same success here. There's a reason why he and his agent wanted to go for the big bucks now, and it's a smart hockey move.

O'Reilly is a guy who probably will have a short career. The guy is 110% effort and hockey IQ. Every other tool in his arsenal is going to bring him down.

I guess not as short a career as Schroeder's. ;)

Having him available to us probably would've extended our winning window, as well as amplified it's potential at the time.

But regardless of who we picked, the Schroeder failure kinda underlines how our 'super mega ultra expensive and elite' player development that the Canucks advertised during this period really, really failed us.

Let's look at who we developed during this time:

2008 - Hodgson, who was wrecked here, turned into Kassian, who's still a project.

2009 - K-Con, who looked good until he fell into our pro system, is finally starting to be used correctly in Dallas.

2010 - Nobody

These three completely wasted drafting and developing years really hurt us now. So I have no choice to believe that this 'super mega ultra expensive and elite' player development was 100% horsecrap.

There's still hope, but it's fairly difficult to not be completely jaded by these observations, as well as many many others over the course of 40+ years of failing to win a cup.

Falling in the draft isn't always a red flag. Anaheim seems pretty happy with Fowler.

Schroeder wasn't a bad pick, he just didn't pan out. Pretty common for everything from the mid-1st round onward.

*shhhhhh*. You know better than to use logic around these parts.

Now, can we please get back to bashing Gillis in hindsight please?

Having him available to us probably would've extended our winning window, as well as amplified it's potential at the time.

But regardless of who we picked, the Schroeder failure kinda underlines how our 'super mega ultra expensive and elite' player development that the Canucks advertised during this period really, really failed us.

2008 - Hodgson, who was wrecked here, turned into Kassian, who's still a project.

2009 - K-Con, who looked good until he fell into our pro system, is finally starting to be used correctly in Dallas.

2010 - Nobody

These three completely wasted drafting and developing years really hurt us now. So I have no choice to believe that this 'super mega ultra expensive and elite' player development was 100% horsecrap.

There's still hope, but it's fairly difficult to not be completely jaded by these observations, as well as many many others over the course of 40+ years of failing to win a cup.

The problem is that we never had a top pick with elite talent so it's hard to say that. Hodgson was overrated due to the WJR, and people thought he was going to be a star. I argued with people about him being a Chris Drury type, and people didn't believe it. Hodgson always was hindered by skating. Schroeder also had a good WJR, but he was always, even in his gopher days a derek roy style type so people that thought he could translate on the wing by being elusive hadn't had a clue what Schroeder was. K-Con wouldn't have succeeded here and is only getting a chance cause he was on a crap team. Who knows if he'll ever be a regular.

Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk also do aren't elite talents. They'll be good B type guys though. So, it's going to be a while before we'll see anything.

Still can't believe Calgary got Benett at 4th. He, for me, was the only elite player in the last draft. Now, Calgary is stacking up on those guys. With Fabbri might come close. Both of them are now proving it right now.

We've yet to see a relentless, in your face, physical, scared of nothing, effortless, elite talent player on this club. Hoping Virtanen becomes that guy, but those are the guys you need. Not these, gentleman guys who top out. Maybe, it's because the Canucks are scared to pick those guys. I remember in the draft video, where Benning had a guy that they didn't want at 24. Maybe it's that kid, Josh Ho-Sang, who is wowing the whole Islanders organization, more so then their 5th overall pick.

Never understand why character matters so much in hockey. You have to be a little crazy to be successful. All the greats had a edge to their games. Instead the organization is so keen on drafting robots.

The problem is that we never had a top pick with elite talent so it's hard to say that. Hodgson was overrated due to the WJR, and people thought he was going to be a star. I argued with people about him being a Chris Drury type, and people didn't believe it. Hodgson always was hindered by skating. Schroeder also had a good WJR, but he was always, even in his gopher days a derek roy style type so people that thought he could translate on the wing by being elusive hadn't had a clue what Schroeder was. K-Con wouldn't have succeeded here and is only getting a chance cause he was on a crap team. Who knows if he'll ever be a regular.

Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk also do aren't elite talents. They'll be good B type guys though. So, it's going to be a while before we'll see anything.

Still can't believe Calgary got Benett at 4th. He, for me, was the only elite player in the last draft. Now, Calgary is stacking up on those guys. With Fabbri might come close. Both of them are now proving it right now.

We've yet to see a relentless, in your face, physical, scared of nothing, effortless, elite talent player on this club. Hoping Virtanen becomes that guy, but those are the guys you need. Not these, gentleman guys who top out. Maybe, it's because the Canucks are scared to pick those guys. I remember in the draft video, where Benning had a guy that they didn't want at 24. Maybe it's that kid, Josh Ho-Sang, who is wowing the whole Islanders organization, more so then their 5th overall pick.

Never understand why character matters so much in hockey. You have to be a little crazy to be successful. All the greats had a edge to their games. Instead the organization is so keen on drafting robots.

I got a feeling Shinkaruk has the potential to be a elite player. Just Shinkaruk

2010 - Nobody

Why start/stop at 2008?

2007 - White, off the board...

2006 - Grabner, who had offensive potential yet always showed up out of shape and thought checking was something that the other guys were supposed to do

2005 - Bourdon, RIP

2004 - Schneider, could be a good one, but as a goalie he doesn't get the same attention from people as a skater does

2003 - Kesler

I think there's more than enough blame to go around that we don't just have to focus on the Gillis years, chum. And there was already a significant drop off in on ice presence from draft picks after 2003, since Schneider spent most of time with the Canucks in the minors or sitting on the bench. (Yes, he did usually play well when he played. Not the point.)

And as to Hodgson, how was he "wrecked here"? Was it the team requiring Hodgson to learn to play defense what wrecked him, or was it them choosing not to play him ahead of Sedin or Kesler what wrecked him? Is this why he is slow of foot, is poor in his own end, can't win face offs and has little to no physical presence? Oddly enough, on the topic of small centers, Hodgson looks like he may have played himself to the wing where he could be on a line centered by Tyler Ennis, all 5' 9' and 160 lbs of him.

As to Connauton "finally being used correctly in Dallas", I can only assume that you mean "sparingly".

regards,

G.

If only they could have transferred him to the wing full time and let him be a pure offensive winger, rather than forcing him to be a 2-way centre.

He was scouted and drafted to be a poor man's Patrick Kane. A smaller player with lots of skills and with a chip on his shoulder.

Schroeder was supposed to be a bit cocky, but that cockiness seem to disappear. He has tons of skills, but forced to make only the safe plays.

Seems to be a problem with Canucks development IMO. Instead of forcing players to play to their strengths, they convert players to what they think they need as an organization.

Archived