The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jordan Schroeder - to be sent down to AHL

So could I, in front of the net on a line with Gretzky and Messier. Problem with Schroeder, and others on our team currently, is they cannot create offence on their own.

In no way is he a star player that is a guaranteed top six anywhere.

My point is that he has clear NHL skill that can be added to a line with the right chemistry, and could easily be a solid addition for someone that needs offensive depth. But again, he's no vital player.

JS was the safe pick. Almost every credible ranking had him in the Top 15 and sometimes Top 10. He had been a star for the world junior team. I understand why Gillis would have picked him. I remember at the time, the media and fans were lauding Gillis for picking JS, touting him as a potential franchise player. The organization had received tremendous criticism for passing on David Perron and Anze Kopitar from the previous regime.

Yeah I continue hearing that he was a 'steal', and yet he busted just like I figured he would. Gillis did a lot for the franchise, but improving our performance at the draft table wasn't one of them, and now we're at where we're at.

Selecting an impish 'top-6 or bust' type who fell hard in the draft at that point in time was a pretty bad idea, not that it's a good idea at any time. When the Canucks decided to develop him into a 'defensive player' at the AHL level, you kinda knew it was over. Remember when he made Hodgson redundant? Lol.

Centers we passed over:

Marcus Johansson - basically a bigger, Swedish version of Schroeder that has some NHL-level skill.

Landon Ferraro - similar to Schroeder in most regards, but is in Detroit's system rather than ours.

Ryan O'Reilly - The 'safe' pick. NHL ready at draft, he's basically what we hope Horvat becomes. If we had this guy available to us during our 2011 cup run (880k cap hit), that would have altered our destiny.

This to me illustrates why the safe pick is usually the best pick, esp. when compared to the EXTREMELY risky pick that Schroeder was. I thought Gillis was a smart guy, but man he made some really bonehead decisions at draft, like he made incredibly daft decisions on purpose. Here's hoping Benning doesn't emulate this anytime soon. Virtanen is a good start, imho.

How can you possibly predict something like that?

Would O'Reilly have prevented 5/6 regular 6 defensemen from getting injured? (Edler/Ehrhoff/Bieksa/Hamhuis/Salo) Rome suspended.. Tanev still undeveloped.. What if O'Reilly was out there in OT in Game 7 against the Hawks and turned the puck over leading to a goal?

Come on now..

How can you possibly predict something like that?

Would O'Reilly have prevented 5/6 regular 6 defensemen from getting injured? (Edler/Ehrhoff/Bieksa/Hamhuis/Salo) Rome suspended.. Tanev still undeveloped.. What if O'Reilly was out there in OT in Game 7 against the Hawks and turned the puck over leading to a goal?

Come on now..

Him being available means Kesler isn't as overplayed as he was, which lessens his potential to be hurt and that would prevent a cascade of injuries from then on. Not to mention him being available also leads to a lessened potential of Manny being hurt. Overall, not saying they'd definitely win the cup, but the teams' destiny would've definitely been altered.

I didn't really want to go into anything deeper other than low bust potentials like O'Reilly are better prospects than high bust potentials like Schroeder though.

I am so happy that Gillis is gone and that we now have a dedicated, hardworking GM/Scout that has a knack and great insight for evaluating and handling young talent. Benning fits this organization like a glove. I am so relieved that he oversees the development of these young stars in the making, because they are the future. Benning has a master plan, and he will execute it to perfection.

Jordan Schroeder is the all time leading point-getter for USA's WJC team and was the consensus top pick left at his position. I thought we STOLE him at the time. It's HIS fault he couldnt find his game, not MG's.

Same here.

I also agree with you that the size issue is overstated.

While it may be overstated, it is simply one of the many factors which go against Schroeder. He is small, which is bad. He is weak, which is really bad. He can't take faceoffs or play defensively, which is also really bad for a center. His lack of strength doesn't allow him to play on the powerplay while his lack of positioning doesn't allow him to play PK. His vision is average. His speed is decent... but he is not explosive. There is no quickness or agility in his skating. Pure speed is not as important as being quick on your feet.

So in other words, he... can't really do anything very well. He won't play NHL games like that.

I couldn't see him fitting in there anyways with the Finnish trio Koivu - Granlund - Haula manning the middle on the top offensive lines. And as we well know, Schroeder is definitely not a player that can contribute on the 4th line. Too bad though...

If Ryan O'Reilly was as much of a sure thing as you guys seem to think, he would have gone a lot earlier than he did. The consensus best players on the board at the time of our pick were Schroeder and John Moore, and Schroeder not developing as expected doesn't mean he was a stupid pick unless you had access to a time machine in 2009. It happens.

I applaud you sir. CDC gets worse and worse every day. I wasn't on CDC when Schroeder was drafted, but I guarantee half these morons saying they knew he would be a bust were thrilled when we selected him. I thought from the start Schroeder was a great pick. He was a guy pre-draft I had my eye on, knowing there was a good chance he was there when we would pick. I'm glad we drafted him, even though he didn't end up working out. At the time, he was 100% the right pick. Stop living in hindgsight CDC.

I applaud you sir. CDC gets worse and worse every day. I wasn't on CDC when Schroeder was drafted, but I guarantee half these morons saying they knew he would be a bust were thrilled when we selected him. I thought from the start Schroeder was a great pick. He was a guy pre-draft I had my eye on, knowing there was a good chance he was there when we would pick. I'm glad we drafted him, even though he didn't end up working out. At the time, he was 100% the right pick. Stop living in hindgsight CDC.

I keep hearing about this CDC character, but I don't see any of his posts.

Nope.

Yeah I continue hearing that he was a 'steal', and yet he busted just like I figured he would. Gillis did a lot for the franchise, but improving our performance at the draft table wasn't one of them, and now we're at where we're at.

Aren't all the young guys that are trying to crack the roster and people are excited about Gillis draft picks?

The kid has a lot of skill and speed, but if you're that small you have to bring a LOT of it. For all of those people who keep saying that size isn't an issue and keep comparing short guys to St. Louis, he is a generational talent. The only way you can be that small and have success in today's NHL if you have exceptional skill and speed. Schroeder had NHL speed, a pretty good shot and very good passing abilities but quite frankly at that size it's just not enough, especially if you're a centre going up against the monsters in the West.

Ryan O'Reilly - The 'safe' pick. NHL ready at draft, he's basically what we hope Horvat becomes. If we had this guy available to us during our 2011 cup run (880k cap hit), that would have altered our destiny.

Are you serious? You think a guy who at the time was very much a third line centre would have won the Canucks a cup? Do you think a healthy Malhotra would have won the Canucks the cup? Manny was clearly the superior of the two at that point. No one expected him to turn out this well. He's a lot like Kesler in that regard.

Did Elliott clear?

I'm surprised we don't have a waivers thread this season.

Yes. Or at least that's the word around Av land.

Selecting an impish 'top-6 or bust' type who fell hard in the draft at that point in time was a pretty bad idea, not that it's a good idea at any time. When the Canucks decided to develop him into a 'defensive player' at the AHL level, you kinda knew it was over. Remember when he made Hodgson redundant? Lol.

Centers we passed over:

Marcus Johansson - basically a bigger, Swedish version of Schroeder that has some NHL-level skill.

Landon Ferraro - similar to Schroeder in most regards, but is in Detroit's system rather than ours.

This to me illustrates why the safe pick is usually the best pick, esp. when compared to the EXTREMELY risky pick that Schroeder was. I thought Gillis was a smart guy, but man he made some really bonehead decisions at draft, like he made incredibly daft decisions on purpose. Here's hoping Benning doesn't emulate this anytime soon. Virtanen is a good start, imho.

I doubt ROR would have played for us right away like he did the Avs.

Had we drafted him its very questionable that his development would have accelerated as fast as it did.

With a number of good young NHL ready players pushing to make the team? (All of which were drafted by Gillis)

Isn't that what we want?

Archived