The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Jordan Schroeder - to be sent down to AHL

http://www.twincities.com/wild/ci_26631910/wild-put-jordan-schroeder-waivers-send-zach-phillips

After the Wild's 4-1 preseason win over Pittsburgh, the team continued its quest to get down to the maximum 23 players by opening night, effectively trimming the roster to 28.

Forward Jordan Schroeder, a University of Minnesota product, will be placed on waivers Tuesday and will be sent to the AHL Iowa Wild if he clears.

Center Zach Phillips, the team's 2011 first-round pick, doesn't need to clear waivers and was sent to Iowa.

Schroeder, who signed with the Wild this summer, struggled to find a consistent role during training camp and didn't fit well with Kyle Brodziak and Matt Cooke on Monday night.

"I didn't think that line was great all night long," coach Mike Yeo said. "I'm not going to say I was unhappy with him by any means, but overall, that line didn't really have a lot of sustained time or one of those great nights."

He will probably clear and he will probably be lucky if he's called up.

Assessment: No explosiveness, no grit, no size, no defence, and... no production. As a center, he has very few things going for him.

Why we passed on O'Rielly or Silfverberg I'll never know. Having said that there were a few busts from that year

Don't forget that every single team in the 1st round passed on both those players. It's easy to wish now that we'd picked those players over a 1st rounder that didn't work out... But the fact is that no one expected Ryan O'Reilly to become the very player he has developed into today.

He's not a bust, scouts should have told him to switch to the wing. Now he fully developed as a center and is too old to switch back.I called that a while ago.

Umm... therefore, he's a bust...

I'll take McCann, Horvat, Vey, Bonino, Virtanen and Shinkaruk any day.

Stefan Elliott, a local guy who many feel coulda also been picked instead of Ricky Schroeder, was also put on waivers today by Avs.

I went to high school with him. That's surprising. He has 18 points in 58 nhl games which isn't terrible. I'd pick him up, could be a decent ppqb

I went to high school with him. That's surprising. He has 18 points in 58 nhl games which isn't terrible. I'd pick him up, could be a decent ppqb

Sacco ruined him. This was his chance to impress and he was terrible. Short of some miraculous turnaround his upside at this point looks like Marc-Andre Bergeron. He could still be useful if only used on the PP and offensive zone starts against weak competition. He's basically a fringe NHLer at best right now.

Selecting an impish 'top-6 or bust' type who fell hard in the draft at that point in time was a pretty bad idea, not that it's a good idea at any time. When the Canucks decided to develop him into a 'defensive player' at the AHL level, you kinda knew it was over. Remember when he made Hodgson redundant? Lol.

Centers we passed over:

Marcus Johansson - basically a bigger, Swedish version of Schroeder that has some NHL-level skill.

Landon Ferraro - similar to Schroeder in most regards, but is in Detroit's system rather than ours.

Ryan O'Reilly - The 'safe' pick. NHL ready at draft, he's basically what we hope Horvat becomes. If we had this guy available to us during our 2011 cup run (880k cap hit), that would have altered our destiny.

This to me illustrates why the safe pick is usually the best pick, esp. when compared to the EXTREMELY risky pick that Schroeder was. I thought Gillis was a smart guy, but man he made some really bonehead decisions at draft, like he made incredibly daft decisions on purpose. Here's hoping Benning doesn't emulate this anytime soon. Virtanen is a good start, imho.

I had read he was feisty, and was really looking to him to be our Ronning of the future,

Personally I think the size issue is over stated, it's passion, discipline, and enjoyment of the game, that brings out the best in people.

Jordan never played with passion or enjoyment,

At least when I watched him.

Archived