The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Interview] Jim Benning on TSN1040 | 4:30pm, Oct.7 |

TheRussianRocket.

I agree with your estimation.

Losing Erhoff left a void that was never filled, and the series against Boston highlighted the glaring lack of a larger meaner stay at home punisher.

I believe Benning will remedy these issues as his vision for this team is unwavering and committed.

Well, we did add Tryamkin as a prospect. Subban and Hutton appear to be progressing as PMD / PPQB guys.

Maybe someday...

Well, we did add Tryamkin as a prospect. Subban and Hutton appear to be progressing as PMD / PPQB guys.

Maybe someday...

I have a feeling Benning will make a move before then, although having prospective (non-offensive) talent like that in the pipeline is never a bad thing.

I would prefer to say forward depth. Or centre depth. Rather than ''offensive depth?''

We added Vrbata, sure. But its not like we're going to be a juggernaut offensive team all of a sudden. I am aware we have prospects such as Jensen and Shinkaruk, McCann down the track that have potential. But they have not arrived yet.

Or forward prospect depth? : :D

Yeah, that's what I meant :P

Losing Erhoff left a void that was never filled, and the series against Boston highlighted the glaring lack of a larger meaner stay at home punisher.

I believe Benning will remedy these issues as his vision for this team is unwavering and committed.

Easier said than done. We even got lucky with Erhoff. Everyone wants a young right handed puck moving defenseman that doesn't make mistakes but they're few and far between and cost Bo Horvat. Gotta get lucky and get a guy that just works like Erhoff. Every team signs 5 or 6 garrisons before they land their Erhoff haha, not just us.

If we go out and target a guarantee stud dman he's gonna cost us Bo+.

Benning's in a race with 29 other GMs not named gillis to find the next stud dman haha the remedy won't be easy. Comes down to luck or trading top prospects cus gaunce ain't gonna cut it.

More depth on defense would be great, but so would an upgrade in quality. In 2010-1, we had 6 top-4 defensemen. We've got the cap space to get back to 5. If we could package one of Sbisa or Stanton with a useful forward and perhaps another piece for a good young puck-moving or crease-clearing defenseman, that would be major. Sbisa may yet grow into that second role on his own, but we're not there yet. No question about the PMD being the most glaring absence on this team since Ehrhoff left.

Good.

Sbisa is a work in progress. I consider him our 6th d-man. If two of our blue liners went down, we'd only have Weber and Corrado to fall back on.

I would hope we target someone else to be our 6th alongside Stanton.... a PMD. I think Sbisa needs to be sent down to work a little more on his mental game....I love the physicality he brings, but he needs to fine tune other aspects to improve if he wants to be a full-time NHLer.

Definitely wondering who Benning would be eyeing in regards to a defenseman. Glad to hear that he isn't completely content with the defense and looking to augment.

Will he be looking more for mobility (PMD) from the back end or size (SAH) for crease clearing?

Will he achieve this through a trade or waivers?

I agree. I hope he's not just saying this, but he's serious about it... I would assume the Dman will be playing with Stanton so what type of player would benefit this pairing? I want a PMD myself...

As long as this player is young and has abilities with more potential....I wouldn't mind trading some of our middle-six prospects. Waivers....would love that! Need to keep an eye on Boston, Chicago, etc....

LOL, I'd hate to see the play off beard I would have "foreshadowing'' that concept?

I was mad two years ago when we signed Garrison instead of targeting a (preferably right handed) PMD. Not that I ever argued that he was not a good D man. I argued he was not what we needed. That we needed a PMD. That we would struggle with too many guys playing their off side. That if we could not sign a PMD, our next biggest need was a big ugly crease clearing bastard. That Garrison was neither of these things. To this day those two needs remain un-fulfilled.

I remember the hate I endured for not acknowledging we were now a top 3 in the competition D squad. Even bigger LOL. Many of the same prophetics outlined Philly as one of the teams ahead of us in D quality.

In any case I also questioned whether we should be looking at D when Lindenning announced our roster was pretty much set in early July. I'm quite happy this concept is surfacing!

I wasn't so upset with signing Garrison....I thought it was ok, plus he was a FA at the time, didn't cost us anything. Obviously he didn't work out as we all hoped for, but he wasn't a "hindrance"....glad we got a draft pick out of him.

Bolded above.... need to grow a tougher skin if you don't agree with the majority all the time on CDC. Mine's almost leather-like now ;)

With all of our offensive depth and the way our prospects have been progressing, there wouldn't be too much to lose if we were to move assets for another D man. It's clear that defence is the position where we lack depth the most.

Agree. I have no problems moving some assets if it was gonna help our D...in both Vancouver & Utica.

Easier said than done. We even got lucky with Erhoff. Everyone wants a young right handed puck moving defenseman that doesn't make mistakes but they're few and far between and cost Bo Horvat. Gotta get lucky and get a guy that just works like Erhoff. Every team signs 5 or 6 garrisons before they land their Erhoff haha, not just us.

If we go out and target a guarantee stud dman he's gonna cost us Bo+.

Benning's in a race with 29 other GMs not named gillis to find the next stud dman haha the remedy won't be easy. Comes down to luck or trading top prospects cus gaunce ain't gonna cut it.

Well aware of all these facts, but thank you.

Don't necessarily agree with you there.

The blueline was rolling until Hamhuis put a hip into Lucic. That changed literally everything in that series.

Hamhuis

Edler

Ehrhoff

Bieksa

Salo

Ballard

Rome

Alberts

Thing is, they were banged up enough that they had Tanev playing the last thee games of the Finals, logging 14, 17 minutes.

That said, at this point I'd love to see the team spend some forward futures and get Petrovic in the fold, and Julius Honka wouldn't hurt either.

Don't necessarily agree with you there.

The blueline was rolling until Hamhuis put a hip into Lucic. That changed literally everything in that series.

Hamhuis

Edler

Ehrhoff

Bieksa

Salo

Ballard

Rome

Alberts

Thing is, they were banged up enough that they had Tanev playing the last thee games of the Finals, logging 14, 17 minutes.

That said, at this point I'd love to see the team spend some forward futures and get Petrovic in the fold, and Julius Honka wouldn't hurt either.

We gotta have Honka.

Also folks, if you listen to the feed, Benning doesn't actually suggest that he's looking to add to the blueline. That was something BMac pushed and if anything Benning emphasized that he likes the 8 guys he's got, and that Green is pretty high on the blueline he has in Utica.

Benning simply acknowledged that in the West a team can wind up going through 10 defensemen in a season, so if anything presents itself, of course his ears are open, but I did not get the sense from that interview that he's actively pursuing depth for the blueline. If he is, his cards are pretty close to his chest.

Archived