Gretzky to Lemieux

Sedins-vrbata

Burr-2C-2W

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian

Hamhuis- #1D

Edler-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

The players we currently have in these positions would be a strength, but we're 3 pretty important pieces from being able to play them there or be a contender. As for the offensive depth, I just don't see it.

On the positive side of things, Alex Edler is our best defenseman so far and i'm not even being sarcastic! He's playing so well people almost aren't noticing how abismal Bieksa and Sbisa are.

Sedins-vrbata

Burr-2C-2W

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Hamhuis- #1D

Edler-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

The players we currently have in these positions would be a strength, but we're 3 pretty important pieces from being able to play them there or be a contender. As for the offensive depth, I just don't see it.

On the positive side of things, Alex Edler is our best defenseman so far and i'm not even being sarcastic! He's playing so well people almost aren't noticing how abismal Bieksa and Sbisa are.

I think everybody has been noticing how awful Sbisas been. The biggest thing for me about Edler is that the big hits are back

While we have some positional depth issues I think overall we have a size and speed issue imho. Lacking speed we do not have much of a forecheck nor is our transition game very intimidating. Add in the fact we can get manhandled more often than not in our end we end up tired as the game rolls on which affect the mental game of our players

Chris Higgins keeps being put on the 2nd and our second keeps under performing.

I like Higgins but he does not carry enough sustained threat to be a 2nd line player. In effect he is dragging down the 2nd line. Frankly I would rather he and Hansen were on our 4th, on either side of Richardson.

So basically what I'm saying is our 2nd and 4th lines are still not there yet. Ideally I would like to see Shink on the 2nd or trade for a ready made 2nd line LW.

The D I think will come round once everyone is fit and settled in.

The biggest weakness so far is just general sloppiness (turnovers, missing passes, being out of position). They look like a team with a new coach just starting his NHL career, and with a lot of new faces to boot.

Biggest strength is the pace they can play at, they are capable of moving both themselves as a unit and the puck along with them at a very fast pace. Every line, and the D, is just chock full of terrific skating and puck movement. Even guys like Higgins and Kassian who never looked much faster than your average skater are flying around out there early.

Frankly I think the latter might have a little bit to do with the former. They still are in early-season mode and not entirely synced up. They are obviously going to try to play a very fast-moving game and push the pace, which really suits the personnel. But they are not quite thinking within the system at the pace they're physically capable of going at. That's what causes the being out of position, or the off-target passes, which lead to the turnovers. I think that there's a lot of potential if everyone can just stay healthy long enough to get on the same page, develop some chemistry and figure out the optimal lineup.

Sedins-vrbata

Burr-2C-2W

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Hamhuis- #1D

Edler-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

Burr's natural position is on the right. It's a 2nd line LW we are requiring.

Why is Bonino on the 3rd. He is a play maker and with a decent LW and Burr he would be fine.

The biggest weakness so far is just general sloppiness (turnovers, missing passes, being out of position). They look like a team with a new coach just starting his NHL career, and with a lot of new faces to boot.

Biggest strength is the pace they can play at, they are capable of moving both themselves as a unit and the puck along with them at a very fast pace. Every line, and the D, is just chock full of terrific skating and puck movement. Even guys like Higgins and Kassian who never looked much faster than your average skater are flying around out there early.

Frankly I think the latter might have a little bit to do with the former. They still are in early-season mode and not entirely synced up. They are obviously going to try to play a very fast-moving game and push the pace, which really suits the personnel. But they are not quite thinking within the system at the pace they're physically capable of going at. That's what causes the being out of position, or the off-target passes, which lead to the turnovers. I think that there's a lot of potential if everyone can just stay healthy long enough to get on the same page, develop some chemistry and figure out the optimal lineup.

I think you make some good points. That said I would still rather see Higgins off the 2nd.

Strengths:

-Sedin/Vrbata line.

-Goaltending quality and depth.

-Pretty solid top 4D.

-Solid bottom 6F depth.

-Solid F prospect depth (finally!).

Weaknesses:

-While top 4 D is good it lacks an offensive D (biggest hole IMO) and we lack a big, mean crease clearing SOB anywhere in the top 6 (second biggest hole). Also paper thin depth once you get past Corrado which is bound to happen.

-Unless Horvat is a "for sure" when he starts playing, our bottom 9 is going to lack balance and secondary scoring IMO. Even with him it's going to be a battle. Without him, we're going to need to literally scratch and claw our way in to the playoffs (or miss them).

Looking forward we need to likely trade some of our veteran/prospect forward depth to shore up our D (offensive D, mean SOB D or even better a future, true #1D) and at some point we still need to find a replacement for Hank. This draft's a good one but it's still pretty unlikely we'll be picking a future 1C in our likely 10-20 range...plus we may be picking a future 1D there anyway depending on where we fall/who's available. Unless we REALLY think we can bring RJ home in a few years when he hits UFA this will continue to be an issue..

Strengths

H. Sedin

Hamoose and Edler if he keeps it up

some decent prospects and youth

great penalty kill

Weakness

center is terrible after Henrik, hence why he's having to take the defensive draws.

Secondary scoring is rare to nonexistent

Powerplay is still too predictable

defense is weak

Chris Higgins keeps being put on the 2nd and our second keeps under performing.

I like Higgins but he does not carry enough sustained threat to be a 2nd line player. In effect he is dragging down the 2nd line. Frankly I would rather he and Hansen were on our 4th, on either side of Richardson.

So basically what I'm saying is our 2nd and 4th lines are still not there yet. Ideally I would like to see Shink on the 2nd or trade for a ready made 2nd line LW.

The D I think will come round once everyone is fit and settled in.

I agree with this.

I like that we have 4 lines. When was the last time we actually had and used our 4th line? Thats nice to have.

But like the OP said the 2nd line is a bit weak. I know I sound like I'm contradicting myself here, but even though we have 4 lines the 2nd line looks more like a 3A line.

Higgins and Burrows are good players, both of which I feel are better suited for the 3rd line, I still don't know much about Bonino.

Strengths:

Great 1st line

Great goaltending

Great energy guys

Depth is better than last year

Coaching looks good

PP and PK are great

Weaknesses:

Lack of secondary scoring

Need a bonafide top end D

Faceoffs need work

Just minor things we need to work on. Very happy with the effort on Saturday, thought we were the better team for most of the night but had a couple major lapses by Hank, and some dumb moves by Burr and Bieksa. Burrows penalty was on the fence though.

Burr's natural position is on the right. It's a 2nd line LW we are requiring.

Why is Bonino on the 3rd. He is a play maker and with a decent LW and Burr he would be fine.

Burr can play anywhere, I don't care what wing it is but we need a bonafide 2nd line scoring winger. As for Bonino, I still don't buy he can be a 2C. Love the way he blocks shots, excellent defensively, and he's pretty good offensively but doesn't drive the play like a 2C needs to. Much better fit for 3C.

Archived