The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's our biggest strength/weakness?

Gretzky to Lemieux

The sedins need to give puck possession and handling lessons to the rest of the team.... So cool to watch..... VRBATDINERY !!

I wanna show of hands.... Who were all the tools that were calling the twins done this summer? Stand up and let yourself be known.

Strength: first line scoring; goaltending tandem of Miller and Lack; and what appears to be decent depth (though depth in Vancouver is defined as having 3 third lines).

Weakness: limited secondary scoring on the account of having three third lines...PMD and gritty/snarly shut-down d-man.

I wanna show of hands.... Who were all the tools that were calling the twins done this summer? Stand up and let yourself be known.

I will stand up and say that I was one of those who expected the Sedins to deliver a combined 150 points this season, which is in another timezone when compared to the uber-elite years when they won the Hart and Art Ross, which is the point of reference I use. Hence...a decline from their pinnacle.

I for one didn't expect this level of Sedinery so early in the season with Vrbata...but I am very interested in seeing how the Sedins/Vrbata fare against a team not called the Oilers and Flames.

So, a word to the wise...you might want to wait until the season is at least 10 games in before you start calling out any of the "tools". Just makes you look like a village idiot doing what you've done.

Too early to judge where we are, but our goaltending is solid, our defense is adequate but lacks depth, a PMD and a big crease clearing brute.

Our Forward depth is improved but still a work in progress and the question of whether we're a one line team hasn't been answered yet, but it's likely that we should have more secondary scoring than last year.

We still could use more size and leadership, a player like an Andrew Ladd, Troy Brower or Wayne Simmonds are the type of players we're missing and aren't easily acquired. Having said that, we also have some young players in the system with the potential to fill some of these roles, the challenge for JB is filling that gap until these kids are ready.

I feel like our problems are still exactly the same as last year. We have no offense threat outside of our first line and they are being relied on too much. We've been listening to preaches about being a 4 line team and I just don't see it. The first line is not just being used heavily on PP but also in more defensive/ protect the lead situations. Who was on the ice last minute in a one goal game against Calgary and Edmonton? The Sedin line. I don't see faith from the coach in our other lines not only offensively but defensively as well which is even more concerning.

Torts is gone and we are playing a completely different game now. How could it be exactly the same?

What exactly do you think a 4 line team is? Our 4th line have been averaging over 9 minutes per game. We have been rolling our lines for the most part. The coach is still going to change them up situationally; That does not mean that we are not a 4 line team. I've been happy with player usage and as time goes by Willie D will know more about his players and what to expect from them in different circumstances.

3 games in. I'd like to think that Willie D is still getting to know his players.

Bottom six looks and depth options; and great depth in net...

We are very weak on D depth and we

Still have no second line scoring threat or talent outside The top line

The Sedins seem to have found the long lost triplet.

The 2nd and 3rd lines just need some games together to find secondary scoring, but defense is a strong suit with the bottom 3 lines, which should serve them well in tight games.

Defensive depth is weakest point in the orginization with Tryamkin, Hutton, Subban and Cederholm being at least 2+ years from being relevant. I can see Benning taking the best defenseman available in the 1st round of next years draft.

Also 3 games vs cal/oilers don't mean anything. The twins had a good october last year too.

They also had plenty of good starts to many seasons before last season that turned into awesome years. I don't see the point in using their worst season ever as the only reference. It is not accurate nor is it representative of their entire career and what we have seen from them in the past. It's not like they haven't proven them selves time and time again - they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I'm one! Done? No. Seriously on the down? Yes.

Impressed so far, but we haven't played a good team yet. Let us watch.

They have definitely impressed but only against two non playoff teams. But to their credit they beat a hot goalie in Hiller and a desperate Oiler team. These are feats that you expect from a serious playoff team.

We will see how the Sedins fair against some legit defensive pairings. I am nervous/excited to see the result. I am still, at this point, cautiously optimistic that they are bouncing back.

Our weakness SO FAR: No secondary scoring. The sedin line has scored 17pts in 3 games whereas the rest of the roster has 13 points. We will need our other lines to start scoring if we expect to be able to beat the rest of the teams in the West. However, we are only 3 games in and the other lines may very well gel and start scoring in the coming games.

Our strengths: Top line and our power play. I see our goaltending as a strength at this point as well.

Our D is neither a weakness or a strength at this point, simply mediocre. An injury to Hammer or Tanev and that could change things in a hurry. But the same can be said for any team.

The term 'defensive depth' can be misleading. Do you truly have defensive depth? Few teams do in my opinion. PK or Markov go down in Montreal, Doughty in LA, Mcdonagh in NY, Barrie in Col, Letang in Pit etc.. A team only has, in most cases, 3-5 good defensemen. If one of those guys go down they have lost roughly 20-33% of their effective defensemen.

Strengths: Our prospects are getting better. Nothing to get too excited about though. More like on par with a lot of average teams. Long-term, it looks like we could be pretty strong up the middle. Probably need a top-notch center though if we want to win, but it's good to have a bunch of two-way centers. So let's hope they pan out. Jake Virtanen is going to be an all-star power forward, so that's a huge bonus. On that note, Benning knows a bit on what it takes to win. He was hit and miss during the draft, but going with Virtanen over some powder puff options was a great decision. We have an opportunity to construct a winning team and I hope the new regime sees it through. For now we have the Sedins and the team is reliant on them for most of the offense. If they get their numbers up again, then the team will improve with them.

Weaknesses: Size up front is an issue. Speed up front is also an issue. Depth up front is slightly better than last year, but that's not saying much. Goaltending isn't much of an issue, but also not much of a difference-maker. (We shouldn't rely on goaltending to win games.) Depth on defense is a big concern. Speed on defense as well. The age of our top forwards is climbing, and that means the team will need different stars going foward. We also have pending UFA's in some key positions coming up. As shallow our defense is now, one without Hamhuis and Bieksa, both upcoming UFA's fairly quickly here, would be pretty awful. Our prospects are gaining traction, but not many are close to being ready to be NHL regulars. Compared to most of our competition, we're going to be behind for years, just based on the age gap. But the Canucks should resist the temptation to trade futures for immediate, expensive help. That's the same kind of mistake that has led to how bad the Leafs look today.

I really like the depth that benning and linden have made to our forward group. I think thats our biggest strength. The twins and Vrbata are looking REALLY good together. I think they could be one of the best lines in the league this year. our 3rd and 4th line have looked decent but im really worried about our 2nd line. Burrows is working hard but bonino and higgins hasnt contributed much. Miller and Lack are gonna be Luongo/Schneider 2.0 IMO. There just a bit worse, which means our goalies should be set. I've always thought we lack a 5/6 tough defensemen for many years. Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev and Sbisa are our top 5 D, but i dont know whos our 6th gonna be. I know that we had to trade garrison for cap space,but imagine a defensive lineup of Bieksa-Edler, Hamhuis-Tanev, and Sbisa-Garrison. Stanton is ok for a 6th D but I think that we could do better. Even benning said that hes looking for more competitiveness and depth on defense. To sum up, forward depth, defense, and goaltending is our strength while the second line and defensive depth is our weakness. What do you guys think?

I disagree with this statement. Burrows has worked hard no question but he has clearly taken some bad penalites. Bonino and Higgins have contributed a lot more in terms of offensive chances if you ask me. That one line makes me not want to even be involved in this conversation. Completely unfounded imo. Yes the 2ndary scoring isnt fully there but minus the one game in edm the other night our Bonino and Higgins have done well. I noticed Burr a lot more in that last game but his needless penalties are troublesome.

Archived