The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo off to best start in years?

NatureBoy

Been following Lu and the Panthers this season and looks like he is off to one of his best starts in years. We all remember the typical slow starts here for Lu, but this start to a season has to be one of his best ever and better than any other start he had for us.

October is done and Lu's numbers are impressive considering what most said about him being so called "washed up" and his team. The Panthers are giving up a lot shots per game and taking so many penalties but really looks like Lu is thriving. He is making solid positional saves, swallowing rebounds, looking calm and big in net, and making plenty of 2nd and 3rd chance saves.

Only 3 W's but 2.33 GAA, .926 SV%

He is keeping the Panthers in pretty much every game and has kept more games at only a goal against this season than any of the last 2-3 seasons already. I must admit even I am a bit surprised to see him playing well already, hopefully he keeps it up. Want to see Luuuuuu do well!

Luongo was always a good goalie and in my opinion he is the best goalie to ever play for the Canucks. For all those years of being a goalie graveyard we really have been blessed by having Luongo/Schneider, and not Miller and Lack.

I think that Luongo should at least make the Ring of Honour if not have his number retired (don't know about this because it's bad to have so many numbers retired as a team that has zero Stanley cups).

Luongo gave us the best years of his career here and I believe that he was a huge part in not just the 2011 run but also in the making of our team today. Without Luongo standing on his head in his first three years here and attracting all the media attention, it would have been hard for the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and Edler to develop without having every one of their mistakes nitpicked on by our media.

I hope he does well and enjoys his life in Florida!

As he should. No matter how you try to justify if, Luongo was a big reason for the Canucks collapse.

lol let's not get into that debate again it's 2014...but I like many others would disagree. Don't need to explain, anyone who knows hockey and has followed this team, knows what is what.

Simple explanation I'm sure you heard 1000 times already: Shutout in a game 7 for the cup....

Also, look how many fans in Florida care:

BUTganBIUAMB2AL.jpg_large.jpg

This is why I feel bad for Luongo, he's an all-star goalie and one of the best and plays for a market that doesn't care about him. Sure Vancouver fans can be harsh on Lu but it's because fans care enough about Hockey and the team to be a tad critical of Luongo at times, now he goes from a market where he is seen as a celebrity, icon, and appreciated to one that just doesn't care.

Heck I took a flight from Asia to Vancouver and the airline I took had videos promoting various Asian and West Coast North American cities for tourism, and the one in Vancouver featured Luongo in his well known stick raising shot. That's how much Luongo meant to the city when a random tourist from Indonesia can click on the video of Vancouver and can see Luongo in it means this guy meant a lot to the city.

I mean I know Luongo probably wanted out Vancouver and that's fine but I just wished he could have preferred to be traded in a market that would appreciate him more than the Panthers.

Sure if by change the Panthers win the cup and he is still the starting goalie he will be much respected in the market and cement his place in the history books but if not the twilight of his career will be playing for a market with a non-existent fanbase. I find that just sad.

Luongo is definately still a top-10 goalie in this league, he's just never played behind a defensive-minded team which is honestly the biggest difference between Lu and say Quick or Rask. You put up a solid defensive structure in front of Luongo and he wins a Vezina/Cup hands-down. Instead, he's played his whole career in the shooting gallery that is Florida, and when he played in Vancouver in the early years he was absolutely hung out to dry. Then in our President Trophy years, sure we had a good team but we were never really a defensive stalwart like the Kings and Bruins are. We always gave up chances, even in our glory 2011 season, but the reason we had such a small GF was because of our dominant puck possession. We defended by offence and played pretty good defence, which all came apart in the Finals, as opposed to teams like the Bruins, Kings and Wild in particular who defend first and score opportunistically.

Lu deserves a Cup, it's a shame he'll never get one in Florida, and he definately still should and would be a Canuck if it wasn't for the way MG destroyed the goalie situation. That being said Miller is playing just at well and is on a more manageable contract.

Good for him, wish him nothing but the best. As for taking the $$ and running...JT sealed that fate. Lu should have been played in the HC and that was the straw. Lu was our goaltender, yet JT did not support him in that. Funny how some coaches can get the best out of players while others send them packing and communicate through actions vs words.

This is a volatile hockey town and our media has gotten used to reporting stories, more so than hockey at times. They dwell on the lows and feed off things that do make it difficult to just go about business in a stuck in the past way. Hell, we've already had people here attempt to carry that torch with "goalie controversy" topic. Don't feed the beast or the tabloid mentality. It's a distraction.

With that, Lu'd served us well but it was also time to part ways and have fresh starts for everyone.

Archived