The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller is a Stud!

kill_the_avs2

Schneider for Horvat is looking like a beauty trade. Free top 10 prospect and sign Miller to replace Schneider.

Schneider isn't handling a large workload very well right now and Horvats just getting started.

Both Schneider and Horvat are young enough that they have many years ahead of them. It's difficult to even make meaningful speculation in those circumstances. Still, as you point out it's nice to see the Canucks aren't suffering in goal and Horvat looking like a good prospect.

Every team was good. Canada only beat USA by 1 goal in OT. See how nobody blamed Miller for the loss, despite the winning goal being weak? I can only imagine what would have happened to Luongo if he let that in...

I'm sure glad he didn't. Not just for Canada but for Luongo as well, he had to win something in his career.

I blame injuries for the scf loss. My criticism of Lou is he didn't manage to keep us in the game in any of the losses. Thomas on the other hand kept his Bruins in the game for all three losses to the bitter end. When your team is as battered as ours was, the only real hope was our goalie standing on his head and keeping the game close. He was a Vezina goalie in three games and Cloutier in four.

Yeah, because obviously 3 goals against meant that game 7 was a total write off. Sure we were being a little coy about it, but if only Luo hadn't let in that first goal at 14:37 of the 1st period, we were so going to start lighting Thomas up! And when the guys had almost recovered from that egregious personal shortcoming, he had to go and let another one in at 12:13 of the 2nd period. And then to add insult to injury, he not only didn't help the team score on the PP but he then went and allowed a SH goal at 17:35 of the 2nd. Obviously there was nothing the team could have done about that!

Damn Luo for not giving us a chance to win that game! I mean, who ever heard of a team having to score 4 goals to win a SCF game?! You know, other than LA last year. And Chicago the year before. And sure LA scored 6 goals in their last game in 2012 to win the Cup, but the other team only scored 1 that game so they didn't have to. (Show offs!) And okay, so Chicago had to score at least 4 goals in 3 of their 4 wins in the 2010 SCF, but so what?! Just because all of the recent winners managed to win a team sport as a team doesn't mean we shouldn't have just expected our goalie to personally take the entire team on his back while standing on his head and drag them to the Cup...

It really pisses me off when Luongo fans or even just fans in general call Miller "The Big Money Goalie"...

Seriously ? Yall acting like we had Luo singed to a 500,000$ a year contract because no one ever called him that. Even the commentators were using that term, absolutely stupid imo

I blame injuries for the scf loss. My criticism of Lou is he didn't manage to keep us in the game in any of the losses. Thomas on the other hand kept his Bruins in the game for all three losses to the bitter end. When your team is as battered as ours was, the only real hope was our goalie standing on his head and keeping the game close. He was a Vezina goalie in three games and Cloutier in four.

Yeah, because obviously 3 goals against meant that game 7 was a total write off. Sure we were being a little coy about it, but if only Luo hadn't let in that first goal at 14:37 of the 1st period, we were so going to start lighting Thomas up! And when the guys had almost recovered from that egregious personal shortcoming, he had to go and let another one in at 12:13 of the 2nd period. And then to add insult to injury, he not only didn't help the team score on the PP but he then went and allowed a SH goal at 17:35 of the 2nd. Obviously there was nothing the team could have done about that!

Damn Luo for not giving us a chance to win that game! I mean, who ever heard of a team having to score 4 goals to win a SCF game?! You know, other than LA last year. And Chicago the year before. And sure LA scored 6 goals in their last game in 2012 to win the Cup, but the other team only scored 1 that game so they didn't have to. (Show offs!) And okay, so Chicago had to score at least 4 goals in 3 of their 4 wins in the 2010 SCF, but so what?! Just because all of the recent winners managed to win a team sport as a team doesn't mean we shouldn't have just expected our goalie to personally take the entire team on his back while standing on his head and drag them to the Cup...

Poetica... the voice of reason as usual.

Baggins, you were asking the impossible of Luongo ... or any goalie under the circumstances. You yourself acknowledged the Canucks lost the SCF because of injuries. A lot of people forget the depleted and injured lineup that played game 7. Lu by then had done his part by getting two shutouts and playing a big part in the 3-2 OT win (game 2). That in itself was a huge accomplishment, but to expect him to singlehandedly win the whole series with that lineup is unrealistic. No goalie could've succeeded with that depleted lineup... no, not even Thomas... and with that little goal support. And it's not fair to make the comparison with what Thomas did. The Bruins didn't have close to the number of injuries as the Canucks did, and they scored a lot more goals. That was not the healthy roster that won the Canucks the President's Trophy. Obviously, a weakened roster affects the performance of a goalie... you yourself called it 'battered'. To hang the loss of the series on Lu (as many have done) and to blame him for not doing more is unfair and ignorant.

• 3 weeks later...

So with Miller back in stud form, I am starting to wonder what the plan is for Lack here. Is he just going to get the 2nd start in back-to-backs all year? Are we going to give Miller 65+ starts over the regular season? How much is exhaustion going to be an issue for him come playoff time? For a team that is rolling 4 lines and getting all the D involved, this situation stands out as a real exception. Willie talks like he has confidence in Lack, but isn't exactly putting him in a situation to succeed. I get it that Miller should be starting while he's hot, but there was a period a few weeks back when he really wasn't, and he kept starting anyway. What's the game plan here?

So with Miller back in stud form, I am starting to wonder what the plan is for Lack here. Is he just going to get the 2nd start in back-to-backs all year? Are we going to give Miller 65+ starts over the regular season? How much is exhaustion going to be an issue for him come playoff time? For a team that is rolling 4 lines and getting all the D involved, this situation stands out as a real exception. Willie talks like he has confidence in Lack, but isn't exactly putting him in a situation to succeed. I get it that Miller should be starting while he's hot, but there was a period a few weeks back when he really wasn't, and he kept starting anyway. What's the game plan here?

I'm curious too. I'll trust Willie knows what he's doing, but I wonder if giving Lack a couple of starts that aren't back to backs would be a good idea. Hopefully, this is is the WD giving Miller some time to generate momentum while he's 15-3-0 and is going to start giving Lack more starts when his streak cools down or down the stretch when games get tiring.

Archived