The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]----Canucks looking to trade Matthias

ShakyWalton

How about Mattias for panik? Or Connolly? Or niskanen who's struggling in Washington

Mattias is not only a UFA but is soft and while he has size isn't noticeable. Canucks could use either d size or a high pick for him.

-we passed on panik when he was on waivers.

-connelly wouldn't beat out anyone for a spot and would have to clear waivers to be sent down.

-niskanen is owed 5.7 mil per year for 7 seasons. Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I'd love to see us take a gamble on Connolly.

I second this.

Tampa has an abundance of skill players and are gonna need some sandpaper come playoffs.....get er done.

As far as Matthias goes it's gonna be interesting. I'm betting on him or Richy not returning.

I love the honey badger but 2.5 off the books could really help us sign a top 4 free agent defenseman this offseason.....Boychuk or Green??

JB will do what's best

I second this.

Tampa has an abundance of skill players and are gonna need some sandpaper come playoffs.....get er done.

As far as Matthias goes it's gonna be interesting. I'm betting on him or Richy not returning.

I love the honey badger but 2.5 off the books could really help us sign a top 4 free agent defenseman this offseason.....Boychuk or Green??

JB will do what's best

Green IMO would be the best fit for us. Mainly because he's a puck mover who's also right handed. Two things we need in one player.

And that is what I am proposing.

Nothing until the deadline as is.

But we have a depth of the tweener types that bubble teams and contenders pay a lot for. Either as stand alones or packages any of the above mentioned players could be packaged for something.

If Matthias and a Corrado or some combination was to net us a Gormley or a Larsson, a D prospect/young player that can step in now and produce for the next 10+ seasons is it worth it to you?

If we net a D man already chomping at the bit, ready for the NHL but held back by a team who has no space for him...

Absolutely.

I was under the impression we were talking picks and prospects. Not game ready guys. If so, I apologize!

And that is what I am proposing.

Nothing until the deadline as is.

But we have a depth of the tweener types that bubble teams and contenders pay a lot for. Either as stand alones or packages any of the above mentioned players could be packaged for something.

If Matthias and a Corrado or some combination was to net us a Gormley or a Larsson, a D prospect/young player that can step in now and produce for the next 10+ seasons is it worth it to you?

That package could probably get Larsson no problem. He's the type of player who just needs a change of scenery before breaking out IMO. Add a pick if necessary to get it done.

Green IMO would be the best fit for us. Mainly because he's a puck mover who's also right handed. Two things we need in one player.

We are also going to need to shed some cap because Green's going to get a lot.

Plus we have a lot of players we are going to have to re-sign.

We are also going to need to shed some cap because Green's going to get a lot.

Plus we have a lot of players we are going to have to re-sign.

That's true. I think this will unfortunately mean Hansen will be shipped out to make room and with reports of the cap staying the same for next year here's my guess at new contracts:

Cap space: $15,542,500

Hansen: Traded

Richardson: $1.5 million

Matthias: Walks/traded

Markstrom: $1.2 million

Tanev: $3.5 million

Dorsett: $1.3 million

Sestito: $850K

Vey: $1 million

Sbisa: $2.5 million

Weber: $850K

Stanton: $1.25 million

Remaining cap: $1,592,500

So IMO other moves will need to be made to get a guy like Green.

Bo can still develop in London. He is by no means "too good" for junior.

Agreed. Spread the 9 games out until world juniors rolls around. Let him finish the year in London after that. He's a good player but he needs to be playing more than the 8-10 minutes per game he's getting here before he starts chewing into that ELC.

I totally agree with this, Matthias brings an element we don't have much of - he skates hard, he's big, he drives to the net, he controls the boards, he's young, and he improves every game. I very much doubt, considering the ice-time he gets and the continuing improvement in his play, that Benning has any intention of moving him.

Because he won't sign here next year, the "size" fetish insures he will be offered an amount JB is smart enough not to match,

He is an asset we can turn into something more valuable, selling Matthias now, is selling high.

If we net a D man already chomping at the bit, ready for the NHL but held back by a team who has no space for him...

Absolutely.

I was under the impression we were talking picks and prospects. Not game ready guys. If so, I apologize!

Wouldn't NAS be a place that might overpay with a quality D man? From their perspective I can certainly see why they would want him, and overvalue him.

Green would have a huge cost as a trade acquisition. I'm not convinced we are a contender yet? So I don't advocate his cost as a rental. Even Green whom I like more than many on CDC. What are you proposing?

Mathias certainly wont cut it.

The summer after we signed Edler. And had Garrison. I started a proposal thread suggesting a Edler for Green swap. (Before Edler's NTC kicked in).

Boy I remember the beating I took? And the thread got locked. I like Edler. Never been down on him as some have. I wanted a PMD and recognized we needed a right handed offensive shot. I just never understood the need to have 3 (at the time 4 with Ballard, Hamhuis, Edller and Garr) two-way left handed D with big contracts. And none with Green's offensive ability.

Green was an injury problem. A bad contract. Washed up...

With us having young guns like Shinkaruk and Jensen, young studs like Horvat and Gaunce on the close horizon... Green could be the perfect UFA pick up this coming summer though?

Archived