The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]----Canucks looking to trade Matthias

ShakyWalton

there was no way around that as soon as the NHL made up that rule. It's unbeleivable that they would be able to do such a thing. The contract was signed under the old CBA and was entirely within the rules.

There is no president for such a move ever in any sport. It's like if the NBA decided to strike wilt chamberlain's records off the books because they decided to add the 3 in the key rule and offensive goaltending.

The only was around the recapture penalty would have been to buy luongo out. But then we wouldn't have been able to buy booth out so we would have booth wasting a roster spot and no ryan miller. Just lack and eriksson, you can bet we would be near the bottom of the league instead of the top.

If luongo retires when his salary drops to a million then we will be on the hook for 3 mil over 3 seasons , Florida will be on the hook for a mil as well. If we had kept him and he retude we would be on the hook for 4 mil per year. Also since we are eating 800K a year regardless the extra penalty will only be 2.2 million. That should be the wage of a 4th liner by then.

Long story short, don't cry.

I lol'ed when I read "president"... and then stopped reading

How in the hell do you move Matthias over Hansen? Matthias at least has some offensive capabilities and has been solid in protecting the puck and making the safe play, while driving the net well. Aside from Hansen's speed and defensive capabilities, he's nearly useless for the amount of minutes the guy gets. There isn't a more awkward looking and less offensively talented forward ,that gets the minutes he does, in the league. The amount of rushes, cycles, offensive opportunities the guy has killed is countless.

"Aside from Hansen's speed and defensive capabilities, he's nearly useless for the amount of minutes the guy gets."

He's got speed and defensive ability, but he's nearly useless? Really? Even in a 4th line role?

Would you rather have someone with offensive abilities who doesn't defend? I know having hard hands shows up and looks frustrating, but is it really worse than blowing a few defensive assignments per game, or not having the speed to get where he needs to go?

"Aside from Hansen's speed and defensive capabilities, he's nearly useless for the amount of minutes the guy gets."

He's got speed and defensive ability, but he's nearly useless? Really? Even in a 4th line role?

Would you rather have someone with offensive abilities who doesn't defend? I know having hard hands shows up and looks frustrating, but is it really worse than blowing a few defensive assignments per game, or not having the speed to get where he needs to go?

CDC....go figure right?

Hansen is "useless" apparently even though he does everything right except score.

With every team in the league trying to get bigger at the draft over the last few years, guys like this are a dime a dozen. I just don't see how a team needs this guy enough to give anything up for him.

Wave Tito and keep Matthias as our extra forward.

CDC....go figure right?

Hansen is "useless" apparently even though he does everything right except score.

Hansen is faaaaaar from useless.

Anyone looking for a new whipping boy needs to try harder because Hansen has been a model 3rd liner for us for years, never seen him take a shift off.

Both Hansen and Burrows have been attempted targets lately, people need to shoot elsewhere, because knocking those two will leave you looking silly.

Hansen is faaaaaar from useless.

Anyone looking for a new whipping boy needs to try harder because Hansen has been a model 3rd liner for us for years, never seen him take a shift off.

Both Hansen and Burrows have been attempted targets lately, people need to shoot elsewhere, because knocking those two will leave you looking silly.

I have to say I'm guilty of hopping on the 'hate Hansen' bandwagon too. I suppose I shouldn't be, I just hate how he's always put into a position to fail year after year. He *is* a third/fourth liner. That's all he's going to be. Which isn't a knock, every team needs good ones of those, but if Hansen is slotting onto the first line, then we have serious issues that need addressing.

Lack is going nowhere. Markstrom has proven nothing outside of the AHL at the moment and he is to risky to play the waiver game with right now

Anyone seriously wanting Stewart really needs to shake their heads. Between his lazy attitude lack of compete level and cap hit that's a no brainer for us, rather bring up Grenier or Shinkaruk

Matthias is making an interesting case for himself right now. He is in the midst of playing himself into better playing minutes as well as playing himself towards either a contract extension or an increased trade price. I've stated a few times that Matthias as a UFA is the most likely trade piece as a stand alone (pick) or as a package (solid 1st round pick/ top prospect) which could solidify our D core or D prospects.

Stating Matthias is a possible trade candidate is like promising Miller will get more starts this year. We know it is going to happen, we just don't know when, who with or for how much.

But my money is on benning and Linden doing the smart thing and dragging him out and asking WD to put him in top situations to increase his value towards the trade deadline and selling him off alone or as a package for one of the returns mentioned above.

remember, GMs do weird things come trade deadline day and Matthias alone to the right team could be a 2nd round pick, to the right team as a package could net a promising young D man, D prospect or mid to high 1st round pick.

it is even possible he could be part of the package for a D prospect rumoured to be on the move like Gormley or Larsson.

Your timing needs a bit of work IMO. (or u are still focussed on rebuilding, or tanking, or something?) Although we did not play great, we just got as many points in one Cali road trip as we earned playing Cali teams ALL last year. It suggests we are closer than people think. No not a contender. But closer...

We're in 3rd place in the league. Odd's are if a trade happens it will be for help. Not futures...

The rest of the logic is pretty solid.

I have to say I'm guilty of hopping on the 'hate Hansen' bandwagon too. I suppose I shouldn't be, I just hate how he's always put into a position to fail year after year. He *is* a third/fourth liner. That's all he's going to be. Which isn't a knock, every team needs good ones of those, but if Hansen is slotting onto the first line, then we have serious issues that need addressing.

I agree totally, he is a really good 3rd or fourth line player.

That's not hating, that's the truth. And I don't consider saying that a knock on him at all.

If the asking price is another forward back, it doesn't sound like they are making room for anyone.

I really like Matthias's game in the last 8-9 games - last night in OT where he tried to take it to the net, got foiled, turned back and sent to his knees, then got right back up and circled around to take it to the net again, I haven't seen a Canuck do that in ages. That determination was nice to see from a big guy like Matthias, and I think he's really started using his size to make things happen out there. So did Kassian before the injury, and these two were fun to watch every time they were out there. I'm hoping Benning tries to sign him to a deal before the deadline. If it doesn't work out, then trade him.

We do have some young players coming up next season - Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Cassels, Horvat (if not this year - we'll see). I think McCann will need another year, but all the above have a chance.

I totally agree with this, Matthias brings an element we don't have much of - he skates hard, he's big, he drives to the net, he controls the boards, he's young, and he improves every game. I very much doubt, considering the ice-time he gets and the continuing improvement in his play, that Benning has any intention of moving him.

I don't get why we'd want another forward. We need d.

Well we do need D.

But someone else, Ossi I think, mentioned a valid point. With Kassian we at least have one pretty imposing forward in the line up. When other teams have 3 or 5.

When he's out we have 198 lb defenseman (who we probably can't afford to have on the IR) like Bieksa and Stanton taking on guys 230 and 220 lbs like Maroon and Manson.

Someone else mentioned swapping Mathias for a legit big defensive centre. So Horvat could be further developed at lower levels. He looks good defensively, but will he learn an offensive game playing 10 minutes a night, which is a component in him worth bringing out? He is only taking D & neutral zone draws against guys like Kopitar and Getzlaf. Notable, but not going to help his offensive game.

but didn't Benning say he wanted to get him in Boston?

Wanting to get him and where he fits on the team are two different things. Main thing is, we need faceoff wins. The fact of the matter is he would have the 4th line center position right now if he could win them. Instead he is playing out of his natural position and flanking Richardson who is also more suited to play the 4th line center position, though probably stoked to be the 3rd line center right now. Bo just isn't there yet. Even though we want him to be. He will be hitting the WJs in a month, no doubt, then back to junior and he will be flying down there!!!

My thinking is Antoine Vermette from Phoenix. Possible chance of re-signing with Vrbata around, big jolt to our depth, WINS FACEOFFS AND PUTS THE PUCK IN THE NET!!! Matthias and a pick of some sort should do it. Likely a 2nd. 3rd if we are lucky.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Burrows-Vermette-Kassian

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

THAT is a deep team with size in the bottom 6!

I think we'll keep one of Matthias or Richardson because they won't cost much and having an ELC rookie make the team to replace one of them will make it easier on the cap.

Richardson brings FO% and solid defense - Matthias brings size and speed.

If they think Bo can replace Richardson as early as next season, it'll be Richardson.

If they think Gaunce/Jensen can replace Matthias, it'll be Matthias.

I think the latter is more likely, so you're probably right in Matthias being the odd man out.

That being said, I think JB keeps Matthias and let him leave as a UFA instead of trading him at the deadline for a pick. I think we'll be in a playoff position, and if that's the case, it's better to get some playoff contribution out of him than trade him for a mid-round draft pick and make the team weaker. The only way I see Matthias gone is if we make a hockey trade for another big-bodied forward (like the rumour suggests) who is on a multi-year deal that can contribute like Matthias can.

So trade him to a team with cap issues.

Funny enough; Mathias for Vinny Lecav....

Nah, not that contract.

But something?

If we can get a big young prospect or rookie for him, then great.

If it's just a lateral move then what's the point?

He may not be bringing the numbers, but he works hard, has size, and plays physical. Something this team has a lack of. I doubt we would get a player that brings that much more back in a trade.

He's been playing pretty well lately, is still young and is our biggest center right now. Horvat clearly isn't ready to stay in the NHL this season but should be next year so until then we should really keep him around. At Matthias' price, I'd be happy if he chipped in 10-20 points and maybe 5-10 goals as a 3rd to 4th liner. We could use that size in our bottom-6 desperately. The way he was shouldering off the Anaheim defenders was something I haven't seen a Canuck do apart from Kassian and the Sedins.

That being said he's got one of the worst +/- in the league, and Benning is pretty trigger happy. If he doesn't sort out his defensive game by the midway point of the season, Benning should try to move him for a depth center.

Until then I'd like to see us try this with a full lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Kassian - Richardson - Vey (powerforward - defensive center - skilled guy is the recipe to success)

Dorsett - Matthias - Jensen

Hansen

Archived