The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article on Bo Horvat Playing In The NHL (The Hockey Writers)

nuck luck

35 pts in 19 games...Thats pretty impressive.He's rip pin' it up in the Quebec League.!!

Yes, I've watched Ehlers play for the Mooseheads for the last two seaons and he's a solid player. He's a bit on the small side so he'll need to bulk up to play in the NHL. But he doesn't get pushed around out there.

He was playing in the Swiss A league as a 16 year old, and played with a bunch of NHLers who were over there during the lockout. They were the ones who encouraged him to come to North America.

I think Virtanen was a good pick as well, just pointing out that I don't think Ehlers is soft.

Incidentally, the Mooseheads have another solid international prospect this year in Timo Meier. He was taken in the same import draft as Ehlers, but is a year younger, a bit bigger and has really developed and a solid two way forward with great work ethic. Will be interesting to see what happens come draft day.

I have a question. Do writers like this guy actually get paid for this? If so I think I am a writer.

I trust the management decision based on all the factors involved. I believe Bo is better off with the big club over junior and I believe the club is better off with Bo. Sometimes numbers don't reflect the true picture, especially on a player who is not fully developed yet.

Who is Joshua Weissbock? Google reveals he lives in Ottawa

I rest my case. He lives east of Winnipeg and has no idea about hockey beyond the Senators, Habs and of course the centre of the universe Leafs. I rely on the hockey expertise of Trevor, Jim and Willie to manage our team, not some milk-toaster in the east who can't appraise a simple ass kicking contest much less a decision made by experts about a hockey player. Everyone here knows where he can put his statistical analysis BS ........

Lost some credibility when he said we blew it picking Virtanen over those soft euro's.

Big,fast, local kid that plays with truculence and we should pass on him?

Agreed,that was a horse bleep summary from a writer that looks at stat sheets and obviously doesn't watch much hockey...Benning was under no pressure to draft Virtanen,but its clearly evident at the 2014 draft that Benning wanted Jake...Benning has clearly stead numerous times that the Canucks need gritty players that can stand up to the heavy teams in the West....

Agreed,that was a horse bleep summary from a writer that looks at stat sheets and obviously doesn't watch much hockey...Benning was under no pressure to draft Virtanen,but its clearly evident at the 2014 draft that Benning wanted Jake...Benning has clearly stead numerous times that the Canucks need gritty players that can stand up to the heavy teams in the West....

He's not the only guy around here that fenwick's and corsi's reality away.

I'm not worried about Bo's usage or limited minutes, and he's showing he can contribute even if the finish isn't all there yet. If he wasn't as strong in the areas he is then he'd be a higher percentage call to go back to junior but his versatility gives him the opportunity to stay and progress in the NHL.

Where I do see fault in the article (as well as what others have said) is to suggest that Bo can't compete but Cal O'Reilly should be a highly considered option because he's scoring at the AHL level. We have Henrik and Bonino for that (and even Vey and Matthias who are likely better options at the NHL level in all areas including offensively) and while O'Reilly is good depth, Horvat's one way ticket along with his strengths in areas that we're weak make him the better option currently.

This is why stats like corsi are only just stats and never to be thought of as an actual reality. It's a theory and, in this case, used poorly. It's too small of a sample size and doesn't take into account the role he plays on the team. He's playing a more defensive role; thus, he has a negative corsi.

Ehlers is just a really dynamic player, could end up the best player out of the draft

Yep. He is exciting to watch and brings the intensity every game.

He needs to add about 20 lbs to play in the NHL, but if he does, he'll be a real threat.

As much as I like Virtanen, I do think that pick was a bit of a wasted opportunity to get a pure point getter, which is something the Canucks don't really have in the pipeline right now.

Yep. He is exciting to watch and brings the intensity every game.

He needs to add about 20 lbs to play in the NHL, but if he does, he'll be a real threat.

As much as I like Virtanen, I do think that pick was a bit of a wasted opportunity to get a pure point getter, which is something the Canucks don't really have in the pipeline right now.

Redundant. Shinkaruk. Move along.

It's Puck Daddy, that said the guy lost me when he said the BS about FO's. Defensive zone FO wins in the playoffs or must win games are critical. Look how many games we lost last year in the last minute due to a lost FO or got extended to OT or the shootout and lost.

This writer is not a Puck Daddy contributor but a writer for the Score.

Archived