The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Anaheim Ducks - Dec 28

canucktican

John Gibson is 21 years old..A fine prospect, but still only that. He's got a ways to go before he's going to be a legit starter in the NHL. They're likely going to have him play in the AHL the rest of the season.

He's shown he can play at the NHL level. There's no way they go with Bryzgalov or Labarbera as their backup.

If Andersen struggles, they need a better option to go to. Neither of those guys are good enough.

Gibson will be the next great American goaltender, just wait and see. The Ducks clearly trust him between the pipes, hence his 4 playoff games last season. He may spend a bit of time in the AHL, but he'll be back with the Ducks this season, no doubt.

Has Vey played a whole lot with Bonino this year? :huh:

I was wondering the same and had to look it up. They've only played about 60 minutes total icetime together at evens but they've been pretty successful. They've combined for two goals, with Bonino scoring off of Vey's setups, and helped generate a third (without either drawing points). They are a net plus-2 over those 60 minutes (3GF and 1GA).

So maybe something we should see more of? I certainly envisioned them playing well togerher when I was drawing up lineups on paper before the season.

you were right.

To be fair, what I'm saying isn't always true. Look at the Clarkson signing for example - or the Phaneuf re-signing. Those are very very bad contracts, despite their 'roles' on the team. Sometimes you overpay and it doesn't work out. There's a lot of pressure when it comes to bigger contracts. Hell, look at Weber. He's making peanuts and somehow people manage to find some fault in him being a depth defenceman. LOL.

He's shown he can play at the NHL level. There's no way they go with Bryzgalov or Labarbera as their backup.

If Andersen struggles, they need a better option to go to. Neither of those guys are good enough.

Gibson will be the next great American goaltender, just wait and see. The Ducks clearly trust him between the pipes, hence his 4 playoff games last season. He may spend a bit of time in the AHL, but he'll be back with the Ducks this season, no doubt.

I agree with that. Gibson's a damn fine goalie, especially given his age. He's going to be a good player, barring any unforeseeable circumstances.

i hope the lineup in the OP isnt updated... Weber is still in the top 6..............

What's wrong with Weber being in the top six? He's not been THAT bad not to warrant a look. Comparatively, Bieksa, for example... but I love Bieksa as a player. He's just a bit careless with the puck sometimes.

No way eh?

According to TSN’s Pierre LeBrun, it’s likely that the Anaheim Ducks will reassign netminder John Gibson to the AHL once he returns from a groin injury; LeBrun claims the team will instead go with veteran netminder Ilya Bryzgalov as backup to Frederik Andersen.

http://fansided.com/2014/12/04/ducks-john-gibson-will-spend-majority-season-ahl/

Bryzgalov is still a good goalie, good enough to be a backup anyways. He had a solid showing in the playoffs last year.

I'm not arguing with you that John Gibson will be great, I'm saying that he's not ready to be a NHL starter just yet. At 21, He's better served being the starter in the AHL getting the majority of the games than sitting on the pine most nights.

Gibson also is a big injury risk. He's had groin problems since his Kitchener days and they likely want him to go through a prolonged stretch injury free before they commit to him as a backup after, yet again, suffering a groin injury.

<p>

Tonight's Referees:

Dave Jackson (#8)

130_jackson.jpg?resize=130%2C130

• Games 2014-15: 31
  • Career Games: 1362
  • First NHL Game: Dec 22 1990
  • Birthplace: Montreal, QC
Mike Leggo (#3)

130_leggo.jpg?resize=130%2C130

• Games 2014-15: 30
  • Career Games: 1028
  • First NHL Game: Mar 3 1998
  • Birthplace: North Bay, ON

Tonight's Linesmen:

John Grandt (#98)

130_grandt.jpg?resize=130%2C130

• Games 2014-15: 16
  • Career Games: 87
  • First NHL Game: Jan 22 2014
  • Birthplace: Denver, CO
Mark Wheler (#56)

130_wheler.jpg?resize=130%2C130

• Games 2014-15: 32
  • Career Games: 1477
  • First NHL Game: Oct 10 1992
  • Birthplace: North Battleford, SK

Why did you stop doing the home winning % and whatnot?

Archived