The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs fire Randy Carlyle

Will never understand how Nonis still has a job in the NHL. Has there ever been a more mediocre GM in such high profile franchises as Vancouver and Toronto? I knew when Nonis was our GM we were never going to win anything. His ability to trade high draft picks for nothing, and overpay free agents was astounding. He has basically rode the coat tails of the one good trade he made (Luongo) and made a career out of it. His comments about stats and analysis show a guy who is clearly out of touch with how to build a winner. As long as Nonis is the GM in Toronto, it won't matter who the coach or players are. That team is going nowhere.

Will never understand how Nonis still has a job in the NHL. Has there ever been a more mediocre GM in such high profile franchises as Vancouver and Toronto? I knew when Nonis was our GM we were never going to win anything. His ability to trade high draft picks for nothing, and overpay free agents was astounding. He has basically rode the coat tails of the one good trade he made (Luongo) and made a career out of it. His comments about stats and analysis show a guy who is clearly out of touch with how to build a winner. As long as Nonis is the GM in Toronto, it won't matter who the coach or players are. That team is going nowhere.

well not quite

i am not a nonis fan

but do not forget that he staked his job

and lost it

on his refusal to make a daft trade for brad richards that he was being pressed to do by management

that was as astute a non move as his trade for luongo

but i have never regretted that he moved on

but i do give him a lot of credit for these 2 major decisions

The timing is odd because TO was flying high just a couple weeks ago. I know because TO fans were flooding HF about it.

The timing is also odd because they're going to find a new coach before Babcock becomes available.

Nothing but failure there for the time being, i'm afraid. And then they have Nylander to look forward to.

I wish I could feel bad for them, but they won a few games in a row and their media went to the usual obnoxious well - predictably trolling Vancouver overtime (as they do every time they think the Leafs are finally a respectable hockey team) - and even more predictably, they forgot how mediocre their own team is for a week or two. In the dust of how daft they are, the real Leafs re-emerged.

Yup, entirely predictable this course of events.

I actually said "By Christmas" for both the coach and GM, back at the beginning of the season. That two week run offset the timeline a tad. I still think Nonis is gone before the end of the month.

There were a few posters here who have not been able to see exactly how bad this mess is in Hogtown. Well....there's your first clue.

Kessel might become the most expensive buyout ever.

Lol.

He's overpaid but nowhere near being a buyout candidate. He's 10th in league scoring, and none of his issues are that large to cloud over that fact and make him buyout worthy.

If Toronto wanted him gone they could find a trade partner, and he would probably fetch them a nice return.

Lol.

He's overpaid but nowhere near being a buyout candidate. He's 10th in league scoring, and none of his issues are that large to cloud over that to make him buyout worthy.

If Toronto wanted him gone they could find a trade partner, and he would probably fetch them a nice return.

Calgary has 13 million in cap space. However, I highly doubt that Burke makes the same mistake twice and does the Leafs the favour he did the Bruins.

Imo the return that Kessel would command will be a fraction of that deal.

If I'm Burke, I offer the Leafs Mason Raymond back. Kessel may outscore Raymond 2-1, but the difference is cap hit is greater than that, and Raymond can actually be seen on his own side of the blueline - is actually a good two way hockey player - who comically, hits and blocks shots with greater frequency than Kessel as well.

To Calgary:

Phil Kessel

To Toronto:

Mason Raymond

(would throw in Ballard if the Flames had his rights, but not a 1st)

Calgary has 13 million in cap space. However, I highly doubt that Burke makes the same mistake twice and does the Leafs the favour he did the Bruins.

Imo the return that Kessel would command will be a fraction of that deal.

If I'm Burke, I offer the Leafs Mason Raymond back. Kessel may outscore Raymond 2-1, but the difference is cap hit is greater than that, and Raymond can actually be seen on his own side of the blueline - is actually a good two way hockey player - who comically, hits and blocks shots with greater frequency than Kessel as well.

To Calgary:

Phil Kessel

To Toronto:

Mason Raymond

(would throw in Ballard if the Flames had his rights, but not a 1st)

You surely can't be serious?

Phil Kessel is one of the best players in the NHL, not a cap dump.

You surely can't be serious?

Phil Kessel is one of the best players in the NHL, not a cap dump.

Likewise.

Kessel could quite possibly be the worst puck possession player in the NHL.

(I won't remake my case here - I did in the Dreger "all Leafs available" thread if you care to respond there)

But why would Toronto need puck possession?

Archived