The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning: we're not trading prospects or draft picks

TheRussianRocket.

OK maybe I may not be caught up to date on how he plays, u got me there but bieksa has been by far one of our worst Dmen so give corrado a chance to step in. Need to inject youth into the line up anyways

A lot of us knock Bieksa but he has been pulling the second amount of ice time on the back end for most of the nights since Hammer was injured.

He is flawed as in not the most mobile but he is a very good defender.

Juice is going to benefit having Dan back beside him because he is probably in some of the best shape in his career after working through these past 22 games with Sbisa and the gang.

As I was saying -- cult. Borderline mental illness and in the very least duplicity to call themselves fans of the team with comments like these.

You don't have to single out any individual over the support of an entire team/franchise.

Most every Canuck comes and goes.

"Cult" and "mental illness" could just as easily be leveled against those in the Kassian fan boy club.

Kassian has been a sideshow distraction since he arrived. That was placed upon him under the circumstances but the emphasis should always be on making the team better.

:lol: the Kassian fanclub is in full panic mode :lol:

Well, if this is the sort of thing which you need to make you feel good then I'm happy for you. :)

If Kassian is traded, then he's traded. It would be a sad thing to see him go. I believe he's going to be a very good player in another year (or two).

Kassian wouldn't be the first guy who was acquired a team and later moved moved to yet a third team within a few years of the original trade. The Canucks handily won the first trade involving Kassian. I feel pretty confident that they will win the second trade as well (should that occur).

regards,

G.

I dont know if you will be gloating when he goes elsewhere and turns it on after we give up on him.

I think posters of his sort would view it as just more grist for the mill. The avenue of approach changes to one of the team not managing or developing assets properly.

regards,

G.

You don't have to single out any individual over the support of an entire team/franchise.

Most every Canuck comes and goes.

"Cult" and "mental illness" could just as easily be leveled against those in the Kassian fan boy club.

Kassian has been a sideshow distraction since he arrived. That was placed upon him under the circumstances but the emphasis should always be on making the team better.

a.k.a. projection

Some very simple questions about Kassian's role, play, numbers, and salary have been asked -- multiple times -- but the anti-Kassian crowd does not answer them because they have no interest in facts or reality. When you purposely ignore facts in order to shield your opinions from criticism, it is tacit admission that your opinion is baseless and simply prejudicial conjecture.

What's wrong with the question? Zack is 23, almost 24 and clearly a developing player. He's not the guy he might be one day. I call him a prospect. But I am running out of patience with the guy. The way he was speaking today when interviewed by Jon Abbott I hope the big light bulb is going off over his head.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=10729989

Feels good knowing we have a trustworthy GM running the team who knows hockey as well anybody out there.

JB knows we have scoring struggles and acknowledged we play in a tough conference, indirectly stating he won't trade picks/prospects to try and temporarily fix that. Team works hard and they are a middle of the pack team who will make the playoffs if they keep their pace up. Jim is giving the current veterans a fair shot to make the tourney while building for the future as well.

...expect a pretty anti-climatic trade deadline from the Canucks POV in the next few months. Sounds like JB doesn't want to mortgage the future so don't expect us to snatch other teams players away without that. Seems more like Benning is open to doing old fashioned hockey trades than anything so expect that.

MG said the exact same things and I can't recall him ever trading away prospects or picks for "temporary" fixes. In fact thats pretty much why he was run out of town because he wouldn't trade for a top 6 forward.

Some very simple questions about Kassian's role, play, numbers, and salary have been asked -- multiple times -- but the anti-Kassian crowd does not answer them because they have no interest in facts or reality. When you purposely ignore facts in order to shield your opinions from criticism, it is tacit admission that your opinion is baseless and simply prejudicial conjecture.

One goal scored in his last 18 games played.

Averaging one goal scored every 11 games played.

Averaging one assist for every 7.3 games played.

Lowest scoring active forward on the team.

Only Sbisa has less points scored(1) on the entire active roster.

Management did not allow him in the line up when he was ready to return from injury.

Since returning to the lineup from injury the team has 3L and 2W with Zach on the roster.

Since being benched the team has won their last two games.

Small sample size but since his return the team has a losing record with him in and a winning record without him.

Benning and WD's comments are well documented.

Their opinions and actions are the deciding factors upon his career here.

Right now Kassian is scratched and the team is winning.

I would really like benning to trade bieksa to a team that could use him in playoffs for at least a 3rd and 6th rd pick 2015 or a third and a D prospect. And than call up pedan as the the tough guy presence

Lol, who is going to give a pick and a D prospect for Bieksa. We'd be lucky to get just a d prospect.

I trust in Benning. I love that he's not trading anything in the way of prospects or draft picks. Yes, our core is aging and their play is suffering, but I believe that with a couple signings in the off season combined with moving a couple vets from our core to contending teams for more picks and ,maybe a prospect or two, we'll be in a great spot again in the near future.

JB ability to pick out the diamonds in the rough is his greatest asset as a GM and I, for one, want him to use that to our greatest advantage. I believe Vancouver fans have become accustomed to winning and desperately do not want to see our history of bottom to mediocre teams returning to haunt us. However, with JB and TL at the helm of this team, I don't see that happening. Trevor is a lifetime Canuck and has too much passion for this team. I firmly believe he and JB are going to bring Vancouver it's first Stanley Cup within the next four years.

That being said, I don't believe it will happen this year. We have too many weaknesses that need to be addressed. I think there's at least 1 spot on our defense to be addressed, with the rest being taken care of in house. In addition, a couple forward spots need to be fixed.

I have an idea of which ones, but that's for another forum.

...and you and your fellow cult members will be sorely disappointed when he does leave, because you will require a new whipping boy to giggle and wet your panties over.

I'm going to be disappointed when he does leave?????????? I think that's the last thing I'm going to be feeling. You want the other whipping boy I'll tell you it's Edler, this guy is horrible for what he's paid, he sure isn't the leader on the back end like he's supposed to be, or contributes offensively like he was paid to do. I'll be much happier when they both are gone, and this team will be in a better position without them, with players who can get the job done.

What's wrong with the question? Zack is 23, almost 24 and clearly a developing player. He's not the guy he might be one day. I call him a prospect. But I am running out of patience with the guy. The way he was speaking today when interviewed by Jon Abbott I hope the big light bulb is going off over his head.

The problem is people didn't have patience to begin with. People are still butthurt over Cody being traded despite the turn of events and people want Kassian out despite Kassian being a rare commodity in this league. There are literally only a handful of people like Kassian in this league. Does that not warrant a little more time for a player with that rarity?

If you think 24 is too old for a prospect, consider that some player don't come into their own until their late 20's. At least Kassian is playing in the NHL and not playing in the AHL.

A lot of us knock Bieksa but he has been pulling the second amount of ice time on the back end for most of the nights since Hammer was injured.

He is flawed as in not the most mobile but he is a very good defender.

Juice is going to benefit having Dan back beside him because he is probably in some of the best shape in his career after working through these past 22 games with Sbisa and the gang.

Am I the only one that noticed a substantial gain in confidence with Juice with Hammer back in the line-up last night?

Am I the only one that noticed a substantial gain in confidence with Juice with Hammer back in the line-up last night?

I didn't get to see the game in it's entirety, but even what I saw, yes I agree with you.

Bieksa is still an important part of this team. With Hamhuis out he had to play more minutes, which as we all witnessed, hurts his game. In a 3rd pairing situation with appropriate minutes he's still an effective player. Worth his salary? No, I can't quite get on board with that.

I don't get it really, Kassian just doesn't play with energy anymore, I'd like to see him use his size finish some checks and control the puck. I've seen him on some of his "bertuzzi one handed drives" around the net and his hands can be good sometimes. He just seems to lack confidence.

I love the notion that Benning doesn't want to trade away picks. Let's build within, that way we truly know what we've got. As per Kassian I'm certainly not ready to trade him. I think coach D is right to bench him right now; Kass doesn't even have 1 major penalty this regular season I don't think? Seriously part of being a power forward is getting your nose dirty at times. Not saying we need him fighting all the time but I think he should have 3-5 fights at minimum thus far. However I'm still in kass's corner and I want him here.

Archived