The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen is breaking his hands of stone

Everybody Hates Raymond

Hansen typically has a wicked first-half of the season, then disappears in the second.

I do think he is one of the best bottom-6 players in the league. I never agreed he had hands of stone, though, just never had too many offensive opportunities because he's very reliable defensively. He can also jump into a top-6 role for a very short time, if need be. His right-handed shot is also very valuable and rather strong when he slaps it.

I still think he'll slow back down, but he's definitely a player I want healthy during a playoff run.

Hansen has four breakaway goals this season (one on an empty net).

Frankly, I don't care if he misses a few of them because he's the only player on the team that can consistently generate them.

By november i stopped paying attention when hansen was going in on his 2-3 breakaways per night because they never resulted in goals. It was like the other team purposely let him in alone so much because it was a non-threat. i'm glad he finally started burying them; it was getting ridiculous.

Hansen has always been one of my favourites, because he is the first player I really "followed" from the draft all the way to today.

My roommate at that time was from Denmark, so I remember hearing in 2004 how we drafted a Dane in the 9th round, and we were talking about it and I was like "a Dane in the 9th round....good luck to ya, buddy!"

Well dammit if that same Danish kid isn't all of a sudden called up to fill in for Kes in game 2 of the first round in 2007 -- we were playing against Dallas. He worked his ass off in that game and even started mixing it up with Sergei Zubov.

I've always been a fan, he quietly works hard at doing his best every night to little fanfare. I have a Burrows jersey, but if I were ever to get another it would definitely been Hansen - followed him over a decade now and glad to see he's done so well.

Was just looking through his stats today, and wow - he's on pace for his best season in terms of goal scoring yet, far and away.

Currently, he's sitting at 10 goals and 8 assists. That's in 44 games, putting him on pace for around 19 goals and 15 assists. That'd be his best season yet - and that's with him jumping between the forth and third lines the majority of the season.

Comparably, last year, Hansen finished with 11 goals and 9 assists. He's pretty much at the same point after 44 games this year, as he was after 71 last year!

However, he's not on pace for his best overall season - with 2011-12 leading the pack, thanks to his 16 goals and 23 assists that season.

However, it does go to show that Hansen is finally chiseling away at those hands of stone and figuring out how to pot it more often. Here's hoping he picks up the pace in the second half of the season and can break 20!

Go Canucks Go

As someone who was for trading Hansen or put him on the 4th where I always thought he belonged I totally agree with this. He seems to have been helped by playing with a keen rookie and a "manic" worker like DD.

Long may it continue. I always liked Hansen, just not on the top 3 lines.

One of the reasons i couldnt stand tortorella is his treatment of hansen. What a way to treat a guy who is game in and game out one of our hardest workers.

Shows how stupid the man was as a coach. Hansen is my favorite canuck and i cant believe cdcers continually want to trade him away. He cant be replaced by anyone on the farm. No reason to get rid of him. He isnt and never has been part of any problems weve had.

I love hansen as well, but playing devil's advocate..........him playing so well only increases the chance of him being moved. I truly think at least one (preferably 2) of Higgens, Hansen, Burrows or Richardson needs to be moved by the deadline. Hansen probably has the most value in that group right now.

Hansen seems to get more breakaways than the rest of the team combined so it's awesome to see him bury some of those. He's got blazing speed but his dogged determination on the forecheck is just as big a reason he gets so many takeaways in the offensive zone. Idiots like Tony Gallagher and Jeff Paterson have been ripping this guy to shreds for years but now he's making them look clueless.

Hansen has always had a really powerful slapshot but this season his wrister is right up there and he's actually picking corners with it. Great to see a guy who always works so hard getting rewarded. He's my choice for Unsung Hero right now.

Hansen has always been a player I watched, largely because he plays the whole rink, not just in the offensive zone. Whoever nicknamed him "Honey Badger" is pretty close to the idea. Gotta have a few stars to be ultimately successful, but imagine a line of Hansens as the shutdown line; it would drive some other teams berserk trying to get out of their own zone!

Archived