The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benning will "look at" dealing either Lack or Markstrom

I'd like to remind everyone that this has been labeled as one of the most talented draft classes ever.

So ask yourselves:

Would an NHL GM be willing to give up a high draft pick to pass on an elite player with top-line/top-pairing potential?

or

If we were in the position to pick in the top-10 this year, would you want to give up that pick?

Depends what your needs are.

If I'm Philly, I need a young goalie or young D

Lack out did Luongo last year.

If I'm philly, I trade my first for Lack and Kassian + a D man like Corrado

I'd like to remind everyone that this has been labeled as one of the most talented draft classes ever.

So ask yourselves:

Would an NHL GM be willing to give up a high draft pick to pass on an elite player with top-line/top-pairing potential?

or

If we were in the position to pick in the top-10 this year, would you want to give up that pick?

2 Years ago was labeled as one of the most talented draft classes ever. So was...1999 (seriously some thought it was a very deep draft hahaha)

We gave a goalie for a top 10 pick.

It all depends on package and team need really, right team in that top 10 would pay. Picks are gambles, proven players prospects are just that. Proven. Even in the top 10 you have as much chance drafting a Kostitsyn or Barker as you do a Pronger or Johanssen.

Alright people, we need to look at the big picture here.....

Lack is so irrelevant to our long term goals,

- Miller plays out contract as starter

- the little mentioned Eriksson becomes starter in Utica

- Marky moves into a nhl backup position where he clearly belongs

- Lack moves to a team where he gets a chance to sink or float as a starter

He's 27 and probably wont become too much better. at most a decent starter, he could easily fetch a late 1st when packaged with another one of our abundant assets.

Marky will eventually sprout into a starting goalie (maybe more), and Eriksson, he will be ready for backup duty in Van and Demko will be ready for Utica all when Millers contract is up....

Such a bogus thread taken out of context...typical...I heard the interview and if anything, JB said he's looking to add another top 6 player, did not say anything about trading a goalie until the reporter kinda put it on the plate, in which JB said 'if the right deal comes along, we'll take a look at it'...and that goes for any player' ...Nothing to see here.

Such a bogus thread taken out of context...typical...I heard the interview and if anything, JB said he's looking to add another top 6 player, did not say anything about trading a goalie until the reporter kinda put it on the plate, in which JB said 'if the right deal comes along, we'll take a look at it'...and that goes for any player' ...Nothing to see here.

oh so you think we will keep 27yo lack as backup next year and see if he can finally push for a starting position while marky is disgruntled and asks for a trade and eriksson goes back to sweden because why?

oh so you think we will keep 27yo lack as backup next year and see if he can finally push for a starting position while marky is disgruntled and asks for a trade and eriksson goes back to sweden because why?

I'm strictly talking about the interview here,,let's stay on topic..

Depends what your needs are.

If I'm Philly, I need a young goalie or young D

Lack out did Luongo last year.

If I'm philly, I trade my first for Lack and Kassian + a D man like Corrado

They already have 3 really good young defenseman: Morin, Haag, Sanheim. If they wanted yet another young D, why wouldn't they use their pick on someone like Werenski, Kylington, Provorov, etc.?

Lack is just a few months older than Steve Mason so they wouldn't actually get any younger with him. Mason has more experience as a starter and his stats with Philly are actually similar to what Lack has put up in Vancouver. As of right now, I'm sure they'd rather have Mason than Lack.

Kassian doesn't hold much value because 1) his play has been underwhelming and 2) they have Voracek and Simmonds on RW and it's not like either of them are that much older than Kassian.

2 Years ago was labeled as one of the most talented draft classes ever. So was...1999 (seriously some thought it was a very deep draft hahaha)

We gave a goalie for a top 10 pick.

It all depends on package and team need really, right team in that top 10 would pay. Picks are gambles, proven players prospects are just that. Proven. Even in the top 10 you have as much chance drafting a Kostitsyn or Barker as you do a Pronger or Johanssen.

Fair points. I shouldn't have made it out to be an "impossibility". That being said, the actual talent in the top-10 this year is, in my opinion, superior to 2013 and would fetch a steep price that I'm not sure a team could meet, let alone the Canucks with what we've got.

Aside from goaltending, you could seriously improve and address any needs that you have, so I'm not sure why you'd trade out of the top-10 if you were in need of a F or D. A team that wants immediate help could do it but I'd be hard pressed to pass on any of the players that would be available to me. And most of the teams here are working for their respective futures anyways.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "proven prospect". Is that a prospect that is proven at the NHL level? Because that's not a prospect anymore. Young players that are performing well at the AHL level aren't guarantees to be top-6 players at the NHL level either.

As for your last point, it's true that you can draft a bust or a stud in the top-10, but that's why you have a team of scouts that you'd expect have done their due diligence to minimize as much as possible the possibility of your pick becoming the next Alexandre Daigle.

Lack is just a few months older than Steve Mason so they wouldn't actually get any younger with him. Mason has more experience as a starter and his stats with Philly are actually similar to what Lack has put up in Vancouver. As of right now, I'm sure they'd rather have Mason than Lack.

What do you suggest?

What would you rather have?

Lack, Horvat, McCann for a shot at mcjesus?

Ex:

Crosby

Or

Bergeron, Kesler and a goalie like Halak calibre?

I know which id prefer

So you just admitted there is a better package that we can muster up to get McDavid?

That means your first trade proposal isn't an "all-in" package...

:picard:

Archived