The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benning will "look at" dealing either Lack or Markstrom

Such a bogus thread taken out of context...typical...I heard the interview and if anything, JB said he's looking to add another top 6 player, did not say anything about trading a goalie until the reporter kinda put it on the plate, in which JB said 'if the right deal comes along, we'll take a look at it'...and that goes for any player' ...Nothing to see here

I guess you missed the part where Lack is a UFA and Markstrom is an RFA and neither of them would likely pass waivers next year. So JB is downplaying a trade situation for one of his young goalies, that absolutely must take place before next season.

Unless JB is crazy like a fox and only signed Miller as a lottery ticket to acquire futures. And that ticket would be played at the trade deadline in case his value was at an all-time high.

Then you could keep both Lack and Marky this season and have the Swedes battle it out for the crease, while picking up players, picks, or prospects in a deadline deal for Miller.

Lack. He's more proven.

If the canucks sign O Connor who is as big as Bishop and having a good start in University, then I could see Erickson gone to Europe, Cannata in the Comets and demko given one more year in college. Marky backs up miller.

Lack could fetch either a top six in a package or a high draft pick in a great class of prospects this year

Haha oh no Cloutier is our second goalie coach?? Hahahaha

Our goaltending has improved a lot, as a whole, after Cloutier was added in.

Coincidence? I think not.

There are videos of Cloutier teaching the goalie prospects, most recently, Demko - he's very good at teaching. No ego, lots of patience and not too rigid with his teachings; for example, with Demko, Cloutier asks, "Try this way... does it feel natural like this?"

Deal Miller at the draft.

It's meant to be.

I'm not even sure Miller would want that. The last time that he was traded at the draft is/was very recent - and he didn't have a good period in St. Louis. Why would he risk doing that again, unless the Canucks are atrociously far away from making the playoffs.

Now that he's settled in with his teammates, I'm sure he's moved on from the original Anaheim proposal that he had been gunning for.

Miller isn't a 'rental' either. The team assuming him will have to absorb his cap for 2.5 more years.

I'm not even sure Miller would want that. The last time that he was traded at the draft is/was very recent - and he didn't have a good period in St. Louis. Why would he risk doing that again, unless the Canucks are atrociously far away from making the playoffs.

Now that he's settled in with his teammates, I'm sure he's moved on from the original Anaheim proposal that he had been gunning for.

Miller isn't a 'rental' either. The team assuming him will have to absorb his cap for 2.5 more years.

that doesn't make sense to be honest.

the draft is in the summer - so yeah, he wouldn't be a rental - with 2.0 years left.

Miller draft.

That's what I'd to . Keep Eddie and Markstrom for next season. Send Miller to a team on his list for a future.

that doesn't make sense to be honest.

the draft is in the summer - so yeah, he wouldn't be a rental - with 2.0 years left.

Miller draft.

That's what I'd to . Keep Eddie and Markstrom for next season. Send Miller to a team on his list for a future.

I see what you did there. ;)

No, I thought you meant trading Miller during the deadline.

Ok, scenario 2: trading during the draft - would Miller really be worth anything on the open market? He's paid like an elite goaltender at 6 Mill. He'd be 35 by then with two more years left. I'm sure he has plenty in the tank still, but teams might get turned off by that. Don't get me wrong - I'd still keep Miller, even at his age. This season, he's definitely proven himself of being able to adapt.

The hard thing to decide between the goalies is.

Miller is only here for another 2 years (which, at this point of next season, could he be attractive to a team in need pushing for postseason play?).

If we dealt either Lack or Markstrom, then who would be back up at that point?

Lack, while 27, I think has lots of years left in him. He's also demonstrated that he's capable of being a No. 1 goalie (though, Torts did ride him to death last season).

Markstrom - we could've known better last year what we had with this guy. He's now ripping the AHL up. But the risk there is - does his game in the AHL translate to the NHL? And how do we know that for sure? He's an enticing player to be sure. 6'6 frame, and still lots of potential to grow still, even at soon to be 25.

If Lack is dealt to another team. He wouldn't fetch a lot right now. Not sure the goaltending market is very high on demand. We wouldn't get much for him. If we dealt Markstrom - we wouldn't get much for him either, and the team that gets him, may actually turn him to an all-star goalie (because he's so young still, and got room to grow).

Curious to see what JB will do. He can't keep all three. Miller will be starter next season for sure. Lack will most likely be back up, and Markstrom - I can't see him being happy with another year in the AHL.

The title is rather misleading. He said in the 1040 interview he would consider offers but he specifically said hes happy with having them both. But is open to moving one if an offer made the team better. With their contract situation it would appear one would have to be moved but its rather disingenuous to say he said he will look. Cuz thats not what he said...

The title is rather misleading. He said in the 1040 interview he would consider offers but he specifically said hes happy with having them both. But is open to moving one if an offer made the team better. With their contract situation it would appear one would have to be moved but its rather disingenuous to say he said he will look. Cuz thats not what he said...

At risk of sounding like a valley girl... OMG!!!

I know people like to overvalue our players

Schneider got us 9th as a up in going #1 goalie, Lack 27 hasn't shown he is anywhere near a #1 yet + this is one of the best drafts in history and Lack ain't fetching us a 1st so just stop now. late to mid second maybe

Varlamov, albeit younger, fetched a 1st (became Forsberg) and a 2knd. That after seasons with 27 and 26 starts. Starts, not wins...

At the end of the day, there are teams that need goaltending. And you have to see what they will pay.

Not saying you would get a top 10 pick such as Schneider. Especially this year. But maybe the only problem with getting a late first is that good teams, hence drafting late, usually have goaltending. But this is probably what Lack is worth. And a pick acquired elsewhere could be shifted.

That is what he said.

Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning was on Vancouver’s TSN 1040 on Wednesday evening.

On if Jacob Markstrom has made it clear he wants to be in the NHL by next season, or be moved on:

“No, he hasn’t – He’s gone down with a real good attitude. He’s worked hard. He’s played really well. Dan Cloutier has worked with him. Rollie has been down a couple of times and worked with him, and he’s had a real good season.

“He’s being patient with us and he knows that he just needs to keep working hard, keep improving his game, and he’ll get an opportunity at some point.”

On if Markstrom’s progess would make Benning less hesitant to move Eddie Lack:

“Well, Eddie’s been real good for us too. So I don’t want to put that out there. Eddie, the game’s he’s got in, he’s been excellent for us. But having said that, if a team comes along and we can make our team better, we’ll look and we’ll definitely look at something.

“I don’t know which guy it is yet, but if we can add a real good young prospect or something, we’ll look at it.

Fact is not many playoff teams need a #1 goaltender. The teams that might need one, won't sell the Farm for Eddie Lack (as much as we like him here).

And Markstrom yes he's having a great season in the AHL, but matter of fact is every GM passed on him for free. I doubt that his great AHL season skyrocketed his value to bring in a top 4 D or top 6 forward that wouldn't be a rental.

After a magical playoff run, Jaroslav Halak only fetched Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. And St-Louis had identified Halak as their #1 goalie, not a potential one or a project.

Archived