The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] LA Mike Richards

matt1891

Just because no one was willing to part with assets for Mike Richards doesn't mean he isn't valuable when the only thing it costs is money. If he turns it around, the team got a free T6 Center, if not, well that's the risk I guess a lot of teams aren't willing to take on...

If one club makes a claim for a player, then that player is transferred to that club. If more than one club makes a claim, the one with the lowest points in the standings receives the player, unless the claim is made outside the season (ie. during the playoffs or preseason) or before November 1st, in which case the team who finished lowest in the previous season receives the player. If the teams are tied, then a series of tiebreakers are used.

Ah, my understanding was partially correct, previous season standings are used as a tie break measure between more than one team making a claim, up until November 1st of the current season... so yeah, I also thought that once a claim is made, a team's order in the list to claim goes to the bottom of the list.

Anyway, yeah it looks unlikely Canucks get a sniff, a shame because I think he still has a lot of game left in him, and can be worth the salary he's being paid.

You will be surprised when he clears.

so the people that were worried about lucic being a cancer in the dressing room want us to pick this guy up? I mean the only guys that would be happy would be the guys who kesler used to hang out with on the weekends in yaletown.

No way do you bring in a guy with his baggage to this team that is stressing youth and doing things the right way.

Plus almost a 6m cap hit for the next 6 years NO WAY! You have absolutely no sense of the market place or of Richard's skill level these days if you want him picked up.

No one wants Richards even if he is an upgrade over what they have. Who wants a 3rd line center for 5 more years at 5.75M. Dale Tallon may have had a hard on for Bolland enough to pay him 5.5M but no one is going to take on that salary without some incentive.

From what I've gathered, #LAKings were working on multiple deals to trade Richards over the weekend. Final one fell through late last night.

Hard enough to trade for him when he's playing at the level he is for the price he has, but at least then they could have sent a cap dump of their own to the Kings.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams passed on him since they likely lack the cap room to pick him up. That said, if the Oilers wanted another center to provide veteran leadership, this would be an option for them.

Richards has $5.75M cap hit for 5 seasons after this one. He's being paid $7M this season, $6M, $5.5M, $4.5M, $3M and $3M in remaining yrs.

Plus cap recapture. No way I touch him even on waivers with a ten foot pole.

so the people that were worried about lucic being a cancer in the dressing room want us to pick this guy up? I mean the only guys that would be happy would be the guys who kesler used to hang out with on the weekends in yaletown.

No way do you bring in a guy with his baggage to this team that is stressing youth and doing things the right way.

Plus almost a 6m cap hit for the next 6 years NO WAY! You have absolutely no sense of the market place or of Richard's skill level these days if you want him picked up.

What makes you think Richards is a cancer? He was huge for the Kings in their first run, now he sucks. It happens, players decline. I am willing to bet it has nothing to do with his character or otherwise. 29 teams would want him if his cap hit was 3M lower than it is.

Why do you assume everyone who didn't want Lucic wants Richards?

It's hard to get past the past sometimes.

And that cap hit is a monster.

But having a center with his past experience to mentor our young prospects over the next few years could be extremely valuable.

He could also offer up some of that off ice, between periods leadership that this team has seemed to need from time to time.

But it's hard to get past that cap hit.

No one wants Richards even if he is an upgrade over what they have. Who wants a 3rd line center for 5 more years at 5.75M. Dale Tallon may have had a hard on for Bolland enough to pay him 5.5M but no one is going to take on that salary without some incentive.

I have a hard time imagining the Oilers won't. Picking up Richards might not even be a good decision for them, but the LA Kings basically gift wrapped him for Craig Mactavish. Edmonton is in dire need of centre help and he needs to show that he's trying something, anything at this point.

Technically there are only 5 teams ahead of the Canucks in the waiver priority (as it's based on the overall standings from last season, if I remember correctly).

Actually Edmonton loses priority since they already claimed someone off waivers in Boston.

It's only based on last year's standings for the first month of the season. After November starts it goes to the current standings.

And the 'loses priority' thing is a myth as well, there is nothing to say the last place team couldn't claim multiple players off waivers first because they already claimed another. The only exception where the last place team wouldn't get first choice is if a player claimed off waivers earlier in the same season is put on waivers again, in which case the original team would have first crack at him.

While I'm at it, there's no cap benefit to getting him off waivers like there was with recall waivers, or anything else that'd make this more palatable. No way we claim him and most of the other teams in the NHL are surely thinking the same thing.

WOW who will pick him up?!?

And who does LA have in mind to replace Richards on the 4th line?

Bold indeed. It would screw LA up cap-wise, so I think they had an idea that he would get picked up if waived.

They'd save ~$925K at least. Not sure that helps that much, but they have to try something rather than stick him on the 4th all year or even healthy scratch him.

LA should have done the compliance buy out on Mike Richards when they had chance, especially when they knew that his production was declining and was given mostly fourth line minutes. That is too much money for a fourth line centreman! Put in the fact that they had Linden Vey in their system and had they bought out Mike Richards, Vey would be in the Kings line up right now instead of being traded to the Canucks!

I have a hard time imagining the Oilers won't. Picking up Richards might not even be a good decision for them, but the LA Kings basically gift wrapped him for Craig Mactavish. Edmonton is in dire need of centre help and he needs to show that he's trying something, anything at this point.

I doubt it, no one is that stupid. It would be like throwing gasoline over the fire.

Archived