The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] LA Mike Richards

matt1891

This move tells me league GM's are rather pessimistic on the cap numbers projected for next year.

Part of the cap rising, is dependent upon the players voting for a 5% escalation..something that was even a problem last summer.

Imagine now if resource(oil namely) & currency values keep sinking? Even escapes like EU leagues will likely be adversely affected. Guessing that some GM's see the writing on the wall, & will probably be dumping expensive pieces.

If you have cap space this summer(eg:Cal, Buff) there will likely be opportunities to land very good players, for a relative song.

Should Richards clear, how will TO feel with the costly players/contracts so many of their fanbase demand are jettisoned? This Richards waiving is a significant barometer of what may be in store. There are no more 'free' buyouts in the summers to come, & GM's might finally be waking up to it.

I get that, JR. Thats why I put it as my Option 3 above. It's basically standard cap management order of operations.

What I'm saying is this…. if Richards does clear and LA acquiesces by retaining his full 50% over the duration of the contract, for discussion's sake, then he will have a cap hit of approx $2.875 per for the next 5 seasons.

Does Winnipeg have an asset that they currently would offer up for Richards at that price. Winnipeg is still a budget conscious team so they would likely still want to move a body out, even if it's a Thorburn or something, to accept that deal. Who would it be? What is his value to Winnipeg to take the risk? I can't imagine them giving up a real asset even with the retention because they still have to pay him significant money.

Monty would probably know better as he certainly follows WPG closer than I do but heck could even be some mix of a pick/prospect.

If I'm LA and I'm looking down the barrel of a gun with almost $5m of wasted cap buried in the minors...40% retained salary and say a 3rd pick in a deep draft starts looking pretty good :P

This move tells me league GM's are rather pessimistic on the cap numbers projected for next year.

I don't necessarily see it like that. The Kings have Nick Shore - a young, mature beyond his years stud of a C prospect that they likely feel is ready to stick in the NHL. He had a look recently - I'd bet they're looking to recall him and make room to add depth elsewhere with this move (at least that's what I was banking on when I picked up Shore as a fantasy asset:).

If he is taken, I'd guess Carolina - who have Rask, Rily Nash, and McClement from 2 to 4C - and few converted C wingers elsewhere. No one else really pushing their way onto that roster from the AHL either.

My bet would be he'll be a Cane if not a Monarch - unless they can swing a cap dump for cap dump deal for Hodgson haha.

They had the opportunity to use compliance buyout. Now they have some serious cap issues with this move. Their only option is to trade him with retained salary now. I can see him in New Jersey or Florida.

It's a great day for canucks fans to see LA get fleeced of 5 mill in cap!

I just hope the teams u mentioned don't pick him up and free LA of the full contract.

Might be a decent move to make a trade.

Mike Richards and LA 1st 2015 for Higgins.

It would resolve their contract issue while we end up with their first this year for helping. A sacrifice on kings part.

Meanwhile we dont really need Higgins and would help Kings with a decent player back to save a little face and still get a serviceable guy. We remove higgins contract which is not nearly as long as richards.

Richards would be able to play 2nd line since bonino is hot and cold. Maybe move bones to the wing.

I know his contract is not the greatest but coming to a canadian market could re-ignite him. Also a second line of burr - richards - bonino is better than higgins in my opinion. Higgins has only 3 more points playing 2nd line all year than Richards on 4th line.

LA is not sure fire to make the playoffs so could end up with the first being in the 12-15 range.

Might be a decent move to make a trade.

Mike Richards and LA 1st 2015 for Higgins.

It would resolve their contract issue while we end up with their first this year for helping. A sacrifice on kings part.

Meanwhile we dont really need Higgins and would help Kings with a decent player back to save a little face and still get a serviceable guy. We remove higgins contract which is not nearly as long as richards.

Richards would be able to play 2nd line since bonino is hot and cold. Maybe move bones to the wing.

I know his contract is not the greatest but coming to a canadian market could re-ignite him. Also a second line of burr - richards - bonino is better than higgins in my opinion. Higgins has only 3 more points playing 2nd line all year than Richards on 4th line.

LA is not sure fire to make the playoffs so could end up with the first being in the 12-15 range.

I think it's a beneficial trade, because of the 1st. We add to the veteran core of the roster for 1-2 more kicks at the can, remain competitive. At the very least it allows Horvat to be a bit more sheltered on the "4th line", not that he needs it, but I wonder if next year we'll see him start off in the AHL. Who knows.

But I'd be all for moving Higgins and a lesser prospect, like Fox for Richards, 2015 1st, and 2015 2nd or 3rd. That Richards contract is a real albatross if he remains at the level of a 3rd liner, but has the potential to pay off, as you say if he were to go back to a Canadian market.

Monty would probably know better as he certainly follows WPG closer than I do but heck could even be some mix of a pick/prospect.

If I'm LA and I'm looking down the barrel of a gun with almost $5m of wasted cap buried in the minors...40% retained salary and say a 3rd pick in a deep draft starts looking pretty good :P

It's a difficult situation. Winnipeg, while still in the top 15 revenue generating teams in the NHL, still has an internal salary cap that they adhere to, they don't spend to the cap limit. So to begin, any discussion that has him coming here has always been with the expressed opinion that the Kings will have to retain half his salary, and there's a reason for this, as follows.

While Winnipeg does have an internal cap, there is a lot of planning already being discussed for signing players over the next couple years. Even Mike Richards coming to Winnipeg at half his cap hit could seriously impact re-signing players.

1. Michael Frolik. One of the best two way players in the NHL this year. The line of Perreault, Scheifele, and Frolik has serious chemistry, and the decision on whether or not to re-sign Frolik is a daily discussion in Winnipeg. He will likely command $4-4.5M from the Jets, and his responsible two-way play and strength on the PK is vital to the Jets success. However, is re-signing Frolik worth it when you got...

2. ...both Byfuglien and Ladd entering the last year of their contracts? Byfuglien currently has a cap hit of $5.2M, and will most certainly, and deservedly, get around $7-$7.5M from the Jets (he isn't hitting free agency). You also have Andrew Ladd on a bargain contract of $4.4M ending next year, and you can't have your Captain and first line player walk. So he gets re-signed around the $5.5-$6M area.

3. Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba also come out of their entry level contracts after next season. Both Trouba and Scheifele will probably get between $3-$4M. Not only that, but if Hutchinson continues his stellar play, the Jets have to make a decision on him as well, as his contract comes to term after next season, with Pavelec signed for two more years. Re-signing Hutch depends on if he continues his play thus far, but also how Connor Hellebuyck has progressed (and Comrie).

So, after the 2015/2016 season, the Jets will roughly have an additional $12.5M (give or take) on the books just to re-up Byfuglien, Ladd, Scheifele, and Trouba. That's the problem with the Jets taking on Richards, even at half his salary. Adding Richards would likely mean that the Jets say goodbye to Frolik at FA. Now, if Kane can slot into the second line by playing more consistently, then the loss of Frolik is mitigated.

Lots of moving parts that make it difficult for the Jets to take him on.

Phaneuf is out for a couple of weeks - with him on LTIR the Leafs could pick up Richards, see if he fits and if he doesn't waive him when Phaneuf comes back or if he does make the moves to make him fit...

The Leafs are the last team that should be taking on an insane contract I'd say.

Also if it doesn't work out and they waive him, should no one pick him up then they'll be stuck with 4.85 mill for years

Archived